Author Topic: Chewing Gum and Facial Paralysis  (Read 15903 times)

Pembo

Chewing Gum and Facial Paralysis
« on: March 08, 2006, 06:04:25 pm »
 I read somewhere that chewing gum with facial paralysis was not a good idea so I haven't had any until today. I put a piece of gum in my mouth for the first time in 21 months and does it taste good.

So do you chew gum with facial paralysis? Is it bad for your face?
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

matti

Re: Chewing Gum and Facial Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 06:22:24 pm »
I did for a couple of reason. I figured it might help to keep working the muscles. It also helped to mask the metallic taste I had. I told my doctor what I was doing and he didn't tell me to stop. I asked if he thought it would help, he wouldn't comment. So I just kept on chewing! I did find that I would often bite the inside of my cheek or lip, due to no feeling. Be careful.

matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

onebadass350bird

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:01:31 pm »
I started chewing gum at about 3 months post op, never heard anything about not to.  I don't chew it chronically but when I do, I keep it on the right side where I can tell what's going on.

Tom
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:48:55 pm »
I was told by a facial therapist not to chew gun as it can promote synkinesis.   I do not know if there is length of time this can happen or not.   I would think this would pertain more in the first year or so and at 21 mos you might be ok.                         Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

RadiantStar

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:50:29 pm »
The only thing my doctor told me after the first 6 weeks and now at the 3 month point was......do any and everything you want to with NO limitations.  So chew gum, I do, just cause I like to blow bubbles with it. ::)

Have a great recovery
Kathleen

sunshine16

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 08:51:14 pm »
same here, Tom.......  3 months post op when I started chewing gum.  I chew gum maybe once a month and I chew it on the right side of my mouth.  Right side of my mouth is getting a lotttttt of exercise.....  Poor gums and teeth........  ;D

RadiantStar

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 08:54:45 pm »
Yikes, I have to add that my facial nerve is intact, and I've only got a grade 1 1/2 paralysis on the AN side.   So, I think this falls into that category of depends on your personal healing schedule and what complications you might have.

Sorry, if I was too quick to think about it first, before answering.

Be well, heal well.
Kathleen

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 02:33:53 am »
Radiantstar: Ah haaa! I was wondering how you were managing to blow bubbles...I'm like 15 years post-op and still everytime I try to blow a bubble I either push the gum out of my mouth or I just can't mange it.
Yes I chew gum, only on the "good side" though 'cause I tend to end up swallowing it if I chew on the "bad side". I've never been told not to (including never had the facial physio tell me not to).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

RadiantStar

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 09:23:48 am »
Hey Kathleen Mc
It's only been about a month or so that I got my "pucker-power" back!  I discovered it was missing when I went to whistle for my dogs, and all that came out was a "whoosh-whoosh" sound.  My dogs just sorta looked at me, very puzzled.

Anyway, I started consciously puckering up, and making a whistle, and pretty soon it started working. 

Next step was bubble gum, and low and behold I made my first bubble without swallowing or blowing that wad of gum out. 

That's my story.  I also recommend getting some of those bubbles with a wand like we had as kids, good therapy on a sunny day.

Be Well

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 06:37:38 pm »
Radiantstar: I've been there and done that, after 15 years I don't think I'll get any more improvement than I already have, I completely lost the 7-10 nerves. The plastic's have helped to some degree but can't blow bubbles nor whistle.... not a great problem except my kids want me to teach them these things and I can't even demonstrate. Kathleen
Loss of 7-10th nerves
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

matti

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 08:25:16 pm »
I remember the first time I tried to blow a bubble after AN surgery, I spit my gum clear across the room. Luckily I was home and not out in public. LOL  I still can't blow the candles out on my birthday cake.  >:(

matti
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 07:59:42 pm »
Matti: if I turn my head slightly I can blow out the candles on the cake, unfortantly for my guest though I have a bit for spray....all the more cake for me when they notice! Kathleen
Loss of 7-10th nerves

matti

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 09:58:40 pm »
Kathleen - LOL Thanks for the tip on how to get more birthday cake. Darn! now I am craving cake.

matti
Life is great at 50

Rc Moser

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 11:00:20 pm »
My doctor's promoted chewing gum. Said it would work the muscles and could help the 8th nerve. I started about month after my operation.
Sometime it's agrevates my headaches and sometimes it helps them? I think it helped my droop, which you have to look real close to see it now. Didn't help my walking though ;D
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Jeanlea

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 07:16:10 pm »
Chewing gum is probably a better idea to work the muscles than just eating all the time like I do.  lol 
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD