Author Topic: Dr recommendations  (Read 5250 times)

jennifer7

Dr recommendations
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:09:43 am »
Hi everyone
I am seeing a neurologist but would like a second opinion on my headaches can anyone recommend a good doctor in Michigan, Indiana or Illinois with experience with AN headaches that is easy to talk to and doesn't wait 4 days to call you back when you run out of pain meds   :-\
Thanks
Jennifer

kma

Re: Dr recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:08:31 pm »
Hi Jennifer.

I don't have a recommendation for a "headache" doctor ~but~ I have been seeing my doctor/surgeon to get Botox injections for my headaches.  I've tried a bunch of doctors and have been given a bunch of different medications and none of them have worked.  I also did accupuncture and that did not work.  So....I went back out of frustration to my surgeon to get a recommendation for someone to give me Botox injections...........and he offered to do them for me.  So far, I've only done it once....about one month ago.......so far....so good.  They are supposed to last about 3 months.  Between the Botox and massages at the hospital, I have been doing much much MUCH better.

The doctor/surgeon I see is Dr. Michael LaRouere @ Michgan Ear Institute
The hospital I go to for massage is William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan.

FYI....Dr. LaRouere did my AN surgery and my BAHA surgery.  Our personalities didn't really work too well together until I went to see him about my headaches and the Botox.  It was the BEST visit and I walked away feeling like he really listened to me.  I didn't know if the botox would work but I did know that he listened to what I had to say and I was happy.

It's very frustrating finding someone to actually hear what your saying and not just throw a bunch of pain meds at you.  I wish you luck and I'll send good thoughts your way!!

Kathy

;D
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

iluuvpups

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:50:07 pm »
Hi, Jennifer.  I see Dr. Jack Kartush of the Michigan Ear Institute.  I don't have AN headaches, but he did my AN surgery.  I've never had a doctor spend so much time with me making sure all of my questions were answered.  When I do call in to talk to him, I usually get a call back from his nurse, but she's pretty prompt.  MEI can be reached at 248-865-4444.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:16:18 pm »
John Leonetti at Loyola in Chicago gave a great headache workshop at the last symposium.  You can order an audio CD of the whole workshop by going here:

https://anausa.org/order_audio_cds.shtml

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:27:29 pm »
Jennifer -

the docs @ Michigan Ear are all top-notch.  If it were me, I'd go with one of them.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:26:31 am »
There is a headache clinic somewhere down by U of M in Michigan.   Did you find anyone yet?  If not, let me know and I will try to find out the name for sure  ;)

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:40:23 am »
http://www.mhni.com/

http://www.michiganheadache.com/

Here are the 2 links to the places I have heard of.   Friends via facebook have went too. 
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

kma

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 12:59:25 pm »
Really be sure to read up and be well informed before going to Michigan Headache and Neurological Institute.  They have quite a reputation here in my area of Michigan. 
Very controversial to say the least.  I read long and hard about them and did not feel comfortable at all.  I realize every person is different.  Just be careful.  ~Kathy
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 04:12:49 pm »
Really be sure to read up and be well informed before going to Michigan Headache and Neurological Institute.  They have quite a reputation here in my area of Michigan. 
Very controversial to say the least.  I read long and hard about them and did not feel comfortable at all.  I realize every person is different.  Just be careful.  ~Kathy

Kathy THANKS much for that info.!!
Denise

jennifer7

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:50:01 am »
thanks everyone, I'm still looking but life is so busy
the topomax seems to be starting to help so maybe I'm getting somewhere