Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 100168 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »
A rough couple of outings Friday and Monday. Heavy winds 15-30 mph , lots of  2-3' chop, 5-6' surf, add 10-15 kt rip current on Monday. Got banged around pretty good. I've noticed that while I don't feel wonky headed anymore I still lose balance slightly for brief moments frequently.  I'm hoping I can make friends with my new sense of balance.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #196 on: October 04, 2009, 09:05:04 pm »
Much better day today...easy conditions and some fun little waves.

http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/2009/10/04/some-newport-glass/
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

lori67

« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2009, 06:45:52 am »
Looks like a great day, but I'll bet that water was cold! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2009, 07:46:18 pm »
Not cold yet...cool perhaps...low 60's. I'm still in boardshorts. This time of year it depends on the air temp. It was sunny in the low 70's so it felt great. Actually got a bit warm with the black rashguard on. Hoping I get at least one more warm day before the wetsuit comes out for good.

lori67

« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2009, 06:00:21 am »
For me, anything below 82 degrees is too cold.  My kids know not to drown unless the water is warm, or I won't be able to get in past my ankles to save them.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2009, 03:26:54 pm »
When it comes to going swimming or going to the beach, I prefer the temps in Texas.

Great pictures, Bob!  I have obviously done something to offend the picture place because now all my picture says is "EXPIRED" or inactive or something like that.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »
I have obviously done something to offend the picture place because now all my picture says is "EXPIRED" or inactive or something like that.

Keri ~

Try opening a new account at PhotoBucket or going to a different free photo hosting site.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2009, 08:53:31 pm »
I have obviously done something to offend the picture place because now all my picture says is "EXPIRED" or inactive or something like that.

Keri ~

Try opening a new account at PhotoBucket or going to a different free photo hosting site.

Jim

Actually photobucket is just complaining that you haven't visited them in a while. If you log in again, your account there should "wake up", and the pictures will display again.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2009, 02:05:21 pm »
Definitely getting my sea legs back finally. Had a fun 4+ hours of surfing yesterday ..again in Newport. No pics this time since Sue stayed home but the waves were bigger and the wind was howling offshore...made the wave faces very steeep and paddling onto them tough...had to wait until the waves were at there peak to try and get on them then drop straight down. Most were quick, somewhat violent rides but the bigger waves coming in made for some nice long rides. Lots of waves and the tough workout had my arms cramping up afterwards....hit tub felt great last night... ;D

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2009, 08:57:09 pm »
It's a good thing I really enjoy the Apple Dumpling Gang brunches and catching up with everyone. I looked at the wave cams this morning and had a very hard time not heading to the Cape instead of Worcester. To put some salt in the wound....a friend posted this picture from todays wave session. This was on Nantucket but the Cape was pretty much the same.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2009, 05:43:31 am »
well, Bob... I, for one, was tickled you gave up a gorgeous day yesterday to be in Worcester! You look fabulous and glad you joined us. I know it was BRUTALLY hard to give up the waves for the day, but, think of it this way... your arm still got wonderful exercise with hand to mouth activity! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2009, 08:20:10 pm »
Another fun day in Newport.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2009, 06:31:04 am »
I love fall...always the best surf and the breaks are not crowded. Last couple of weeks have been great and I have a 13 mile downwinder planned for Friday and an all day surf session set for Sunday. Of course there is the thick carpet of oak leaves to deal with all over my yard but I have to set priorities... ;D

Balance has been good....different than it was but good. Still getting used to the change a little. Kind of strange...seems like pre-op my balance was better when it was good....but real bad when it was bad Now its a much more steady state but not quite as sharp.

davjack

• Spinning out of control
« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2009, 11:08:41 am »
I just found this post. Wow dude you've got the stoke big time. Stoke can push you to perform miracles. I'm a surfer too, so I know. And the ocean has a way of just making everything ok.

What kind of earplugs do you use? I've been a little concerned about getting water in my ear.
DJ
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #209 on: November 23, 2009, 11:16:36 pm »
You have that right DJ. Nothing makes me feel better than a good day on the water.

I was just using some of the silicone plugs but I have stopped using them. It bothers me not being able to hear out there especially when there are folks around to talk to. I am making sure to ask whatever doc happens to be looking in my ears to check for signs of exostosis. No problems so far. Much more common the younger you are so i'm probably good.... ;D