Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 100184 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2009, 04:52:33 pm »
We're coming, and if you had any idea what a water freak I am, you'd know that I'll be on that thing in no time.  How heavy are they?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

joebloggs

« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2009, 06:20:14 pm »
You should absolutely try it Nancy!  You'll love it and it'll be really good for your balance!  I'm not quite there yet.. maybe next weekend.  I used a 11 foot 6 inch board and carried it back to the car on my shoulder and I'm about 5 foot 2 so they're not that heavy.  That was pre op of course and I don't anticipate carrying any boards on my shoulder any time soon!  Some of them have a handle so it makes it less awkward to carrry.  Stoneaxe probably has some good tricks for moving them about!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2009, 09:35:39 pm »
Glad to see you up and posting Nancy. The bigger ones are in the 25-30 lb range, small ones around 20 lbs. As mentioned many come with handholds...or other means of carrying them...built in so they aren't that difficult. There are also slings and other accesories you can buy to make it real easy. I bought my wife the "board schlepper" a shoulder sling with two velcro loops that go over the board..but in reality I'm still often the schlepper. The biggest issue is if its windy they can be a handfull. You learn to be careful and manuever them. There is even a piece of gear called "the mule" which is a couple of wheels and some canvas with velcro that you attach to your board and allows you to easily wheel it and even load it up with a cooler and all the rest of your stuff for a day at the beach and away you go....very handy....gotta get me one of those. My brother even attached his to his motorcycle...not recommended.... ;D

The schlepper
http://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/standup-board-schlepper.html

The Mule
http://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/the-mule-sup-stand-up-paddle-board-carrier.html

JB...how's your balance feeling? It will be interesting to see what kind of benefit you see after a couple of weeks of paddling.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

NancyMc

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2009, 11:57:27 pm »
Well, that's about half the weight of a recreational rowing shell, so very manageable.  I like that we can do it in windy and wavy conditions.  And, JB, I'm 5'-1 1/2", used to be 5'-2".   ;)
Finally ice out on the lake up here, so Dave and I have agreed to try to get the double kayak out of the barn and over to the waterfront to rev up the summer season later this week.
G'night!
Nancy

joebloggs

« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2009, 08:38:30 am »
Balance still pretty interesting - almost headbutted the wall getting into the shower this morning so that was pretty interesting and the light on the stairs blew on my way down them tonight so again, walking down stairs in the pitch black... interesting!  Haven't managed to get out paddling yet, but received my wetsuit I bought on ebay a couple of weeks ago today so I'm ready!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2009, 01:55:19 pm »
Sounds like a good plan getting the kayak out there.

Been there done that JB...got up quickly in the middle of the night (sounded like coyotes were after a cat in our backyard) and went straight into the closet door with my forehead...fortunately I have a hard head.

How cold does it get in Tassie? I thought I saw palm trees... ;)
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

joebloggs

« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2009, 07:14:37 am »
Sorry to say the thought of you headbutting the closet door made me laugh.  Only because I can empathise!  Doesn't get that cold in Tassie - maybe max -5 up in the mountains I reckon.  Doesn't tend to snow in the towns only on the mountains.  If you saw palm trees they were definitely imported! 

cindyj

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2009, 03:06:40 pm »
While on the river this weekend for my rowing/sculling class, I saw two live paddleboarders!  I was so excited about it, that I got all out of sync on my rowing stroke - and that can be very bad in these teeny, tiny, wobbly boats.  But, it looked very cool.  Would loved to have asked them to let me try, but figured they might think I was a bit odd...maybe a lot odd...also, the thought of going down in that cold, not so clean river, didn't appeal to me...and I "might" have fallen a time or two before getting the hang of it :D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2009, 12:58:51 pm »
While on the river this weekend for my rowing/sculling class, I saw two live paddleboarders!  I was so excited about it, that I got all out of sync on my rowing stroke - and that can be very bad in these teeny, tiny, wobbly boats.  But, it looked very cool.  Would loved to have asked them to let me try, but figured they might think I was a bit odd...maybe a lot odd...also, the thought of going down in that cold, not so clean river, didn't appeal to me...and I "might" have fallen a time or two before getting the hang of it :D

Cindy

Cool....are you rowing on the Chatahoochee Cindy?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2009, 01:01:14 pm »
Cool....are you rowing on the Chatahoochee Cindy?

use to go tube rafting down the Chattahoochee when I cut class...er.... had time off from school... now, you wanna talk wonky head?  Bobble head city! I don't know how you all do it! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2009, 08:44:38 am »
One of the other great things about standup paddleboarding is what you can see from the board. Because you're vantage point is so much higher than a kayak or canoe you can see into the water much better. If you go out frequently, encounters with amazing creatures aren't all that uncommon. This is a online friend of mine who does these great travelogues of his SUP trips. His most recent encounter is pretty special though....read to the end of the pictures.

JB...you'll like this especially, Barwon Heads down in Oz.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50338

NancyMc

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:09 am »
Awwww.  I want one.

cindyj

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2009, 09:10:41 am »
Yes, it's the Chattahoochee, Bob...probably not as clean as it was when you were on it...on your "days off", Phyl.  I have quite an incentive to STAY in that boat!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2009, 02:52:39 pm »
Very cool thread with awesome pictures.  I'm ready to pack up and head there now, and I don't even surf/paddleboard/boogie board or nothing! :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

NancyMc

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2009, 03:24:38 pm »
I have quite an incentive to STAY in that boat!

The Chattahoochee's got nothing on the Charles, right, Bob?  I know all too well when I flipped a racing single on an early April day when the current was raging in one direction, the wind in another.  It took three wash cycles before I gave up and tossed my rowing togs.  "Love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:26:13 pm by NancyMc »