Author Topic: Christopher's Surgery  (Read 2951 times)

chrissmom

Christopher's Surgery
« on: June 21, 2006, 07:10:02 pm »
Hi All,
I know that you have been eagerly waiting to hear about Chris.  I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.  Chris had surgery last Thursday.  We just got home from the hospital today (Wednesday).  He was in Neuro- ICU for 2 days and then in a regular room for the rest of the time.  He is doing great.  They relieved the tumor pressure on the brain.  It was a long 12 hour surgery but he did well throughtout the surgery and they were tempted to go for the whole tumor but the Dr. said that bad things happen when you get greedy so they stopped as planned.  The second stage surgery will be in 3 weeks.  We haven't set the new date yet.  It will be another big surgery with more to worry about but they did relieve the pressure on the brain. They put a plastic (bio-friendly) barrier between the tumor and the brain until Stage II operation.   HE CAN WALK AGAIN.  I can't believe it.  It is a shuffle but he can walk.  He is also experiencing some ringing in ear and whoosh sounds.  He never had this before. He has a headache in the forehead area at times and that's about it. The doctors are very pleased with his sugery and outcome.  I'll keep you all posted on the next one too.  While Chris was in the hospital, another guy his age was operated on for the exact same thing!  It gave him some additional realization that other people his age have it too.

Chelsea and mom, I'm really praying for you.  I'll light a candle tonite.  Things will work out, I believe in the power of prayer. It seems like it is so cruel to go to a 2-stage operation but for these large tumors in these young kids, it is probably the safest way to go.  I hate the thoughts of Chris going thru this again but I want to go the safest way.

Chris is on Decadron.  We all know about this and he is really hungry all the time and he's drinking tons of milk! 

What did you all do about hair-washing ? 

Battyp

Re: Christopher's Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 07:18:02 pm »
Oh such fabulous news..we've been anxiously biting our nails and praying with you!

Sounds like so far so good!  Hair washing with baby shampoo!!  Do not use your nails..does he have staples?  I had a big problem with dry scalp for a while from not getting all the shampoo out.

So so happy to hear from you we've all been worried. 
Keep us posted when you can and know I'm keeping you in my prayers.  Hard to believe Chris has to go through this again but better cautious than complications.  Big Hugs to you mom I know your nerves must be frayed.  how was the wedding?

chrissmom

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 07:21:53 pm »
We made it thru the wedding and thru the surgery and I have no fingernails now!  Also, where is my summer vacation?  It's flying by.  We go back the 3rd week in August!

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:46:45 pm »
I am so glad to hear from you. It sounds like good news so far and I'm sure more good news will follow this next surgery. We will keep you guys in our prayers.I washed my hair with a prescription Phisohex. When I got home we used the hand held shower head and I got a better shampooing. I did buy some of the no rinse stuff from the pharmacy ut I didn't like it.
Again, I am so g;ad to hear from you. Take care and keep in touch when you can.
Lynn

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 08:38:26 pm »
Chrismom,

Thank you for taking time to share this with us all. Please give Chris my best wishes and after the 2nd hurdle, it's onward and upward from there!  Please take time for yourself as well.... he's going to need mom well also.

Continued good wishes, thoughts and prayers.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 11:59:25 am »
I too, thank you for sharing Chris's story.  I think all of us were so sorry that these young'un's had to go through this, so we were all caught up in the Chris/Chelsea saga.  I am happy that Chris is doing well.  These two kids have been in my thoughts and prayers also.  Hang in there, Mom!!  I guess the summer of 2006 will go down in your family history as the mother of all summers!!

Sue
Vancouver, WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tryston

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 12:52:07 pm »
Thanks so much for the update. It sounds very positive and I'm so glad to hear it.
37 yrs old
8 - 10mm AN in left IAC removed 9/12/06
Middle Fossa
Drs. Brackmann & Hitselberger, HEC

matti

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 02:57:37 pm »
Just wanted to say I am thinking about you Chrissmom! Hope you are able to find a couple of minutes for yourself for some downtime. We need to keep you staying strong.

Keeping Chris in my prayers.

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

nipanddale

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 11:02:28 pm »
Chris's mom,

I'm so glad that surgery was a success. I kept looking for a post when I had a moment to check and I feel better knowing that you, Chris and your family are sleeping a little better tonight.

nip :)
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!