Author Topic: HEI patients.. those who stayed at Seton and then a hotel later  (Read 3549 times)

Tamster

HEI patients.. those who stayed at Seton and then a hotel later
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:44:42 pm »
Hi all,
  I am wondering of those of you who went to House for your surgery, if you went to another hotel after being discharged from the hospital, how close were you advised to stay? I think it would be lovely for us to get away from the hospital those last 5 or 6 days, but also don't want to be so far away that we'd have trouble getting back if complications arise. Where did you stay? What was your experience? Would you do it the same if you had it to do over?
I know many folks stay at Seton the entire time. So I'm debating what we should do.

Thanks,

Tammy
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

JerseyGirl2

Re: HEI patients.. those who stayed at Seton and then a hotel later
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:52:35 pm »
Hi, Tammy,

I went to House for my surgery and my husband and I (and our daughter, who was in grad school at the time, spent several nights with us as well) stayed at Seton Hall for almost the entire duration. We had an early morning flight back to New Jersey on a Saturday, so we left Seton Friday afternoon and went to one of the LAX hotels (I think it was the Marriott) for the last night (this enabled us to turn in our rental car at the hotel on Friday and catch the hotel's airport shuttle rather than navigate the LA freeways the morning of the flight).

I was very content staying at Seton the whole time -- we had a car, so did not feel at all "confined" there -- and I was very comfortable knowing that House Ear was across the street and St. Vincent's was an even closer walk (via basement tunnel or short walk outside). It's not luxurious by any means, but certainly adequate. I know there are some people on the forum who did go to LA hotels after release from the hospital (House provides a list of relatively close hotels), so I hope they'll join this discussion.

I do think that having the rental car made a big difference -- I didn't really have any post-surgery issues, so we were able to get out and about on a regular basis (except, obviously, the days I was in the hospital).

Best wishes as your plans develop.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:16:26 am »
Hey, Tammy!  You already know what I did, but I'll put the info out here in case any other future House folks want/need to know. 

My husband stayed at Seton House while I was in the hospital, but my mother stayed at a nearby hotel - the Kyoto Gardens.  Once I was released, my husband returned home and Mom stayed out there with me.  She & I intended to stay at Seton, but ended up back over at the hotel.  I knew I needed to be away from the hospital setting to recover, just me.  I so enjoyed the hotel, even though I'm still paying off the credit card bill :P.  Like I told Tammy, I really, really splurged and had the hotel salon wash and dry my hair...best decision I made throughout my whole AN journey ;D

Know that some others moved to a hotel post-op also.  House does provide a list of convenient hotels...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 04:27:26 pm »
I plan on staying at my in-law's home as soon as the doctors allow me to. They live about 90 miles away. I already got the reservations at Seton Hall for my wife and the in-laws but you have a good point Cindy, try to get out of the hospital environment as soon as possible...just me as well! :)
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

another NY postie

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:50:57 am »
Tammy,
My husband stayed at Seton while I was in hospital and then when I was discharged we continued at Seton for 3 days (we had a rental car so we were driving around a lot as I was okay in car) and my last two nights we went to Mahattan Beach and stayed in a Marriott Residence which was nice and fun to be away from the hospital.  It was a good transition for us.
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 09:03:29 am »

my wife I did the same thing!!!   .. but I was one with the AN    :(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

OTO

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:16:16 pm »
Call the surgery nurse (I can't remember her name) or the Doctor's assistant.   Ask them for the list of hotels that offer the House Clinic discount.    Some people don't stay at Seton Guest Center at all and spend the whole recovery time at a hotel.   After I was discharged from St. Vincent, unless you have an emergency, you do your followup at the House Clinic about 10 days post-op...   and then you can go home.