Author Topic: Flying  (Read 4522 times)

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
Flying
« on: February 27, 2009, 09:40:27 am »
I know this has been discussed before, but at how many weeks post-op did your doctors say it was ok to fly? I'm considering flying down to FL for a couple of days at four weeks post-op. My neuro-otologist said he thinks it's ok, but my neurosurgeon is out of town, so I don't have an answer from him yet. I'm sure it's fine, but I'm nervous about taking unnecessary risks.

Thanks!
Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

Kaybo

Re: Flying
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:57 am »
Kim~
I know that their are people that go to House and fly home after about a week.  I didn't go there but I flew probably after about a month and continued to fly a lot after my surgery.  Never any problems...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:32:29 am »
Florida?!?  Wow, so many ANers visiting Florida!  I'll have to start a new thread for everyone heading to Florida so we can pick a place to meet!  I think I missed Captain Deb, since she was recently seen kicking and screaming while being forced into a vehicle heading north. :)

Seriously though...I'm going to start a new thread in AN Community before the Moderators tell me to stay on topic!

Oh, I don't know about flying yet, but will be asking my doctor as well before surgery :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:51:47 am »
Hi, Kim,

Re: your question about flying -- I had the translab procedure done at House in L.A. on January 9 (2008) and flew home to New Jersey on January 19. I had no problems whatsoever during the flight; I was just tired and very glad we had traded in some frequent flyer miles to upgrade to first class for the lengthy trip.

This seems to be yet another one of those topics about which our various AN doctors "disagree" -- I think some patients have reported that their doctors discourage flying until a number of weeks/months after surgery, so I think you're wise to wait until you get your own surgeon's opinion.

I should add that I didn't have any post surgical issues whatsoever except fatigue. If I had been horribly dizzy, nauseated, or suffering from severe headaches I probably wouldn't have been as cavalier about my flight home (and possibly wouldn't have been released by my doctors to do so). I do believe that 10 days post surgery is typical at House.

Hope you continue your good recovery!

Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:36:02 pm »
Hi Kim,
I flew at about 4 weeks with no problem.  Except that I was tired and cranky.   :D
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 01:48:40 pm »
Hey, Kim!  Like Catherine (Jersey Girl 2), I flew home from House in LA at about post-op day 14.  No problems at all.  While I was lying around (fairly nauseous) in LA waiting for the day I was supposed to return home, I did wonder how I could possibly make it home, but it turned out to be just fine.  But, as others have mentioned, there are some docs that encourage waiting a longer period of time.

Hope you do get to take your trip, though.  I'm heading down there in the morning...driving, though...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:04:53 pm »
Hi Kim,
I have absolutely no information about flying, but I hope when you go to FL you have a great time and it is restful and relaxing.

What happened with your hearing? Are you able to hear a bit from your AN side?

Hope your recovery is going well! I'm a bit over 4 weeks now. I'm figuring things out (like when to back off, go lay down, etc when i'm doing too much so i won't get a headache).

I'll try to find my way back to your blog so I can see how things are going with you.

Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 04:51:36 pm »
Hello Kim! I was allowed to fly a moth after my surgery! My surgeons did not allow me to fly back from Hannovver on the date I had booked a flight so rather than spending two more weeks after my surgery in the town, we decided to take the train to Vienna and then coworkers came and picked me up. Land transport is ok but changing air pressure is not.

so I think it won't be a problem for you since you are 4 weeks post op!

Have a nice time!
x
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:37:30 pm »
Update - my doctor said it is fine for me to fly at four weeks post-op. Now I can go to Florida and not worry too much about the flying thing.

Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 03:06:22 pm »
Hi,
I was also a House patient (April '06), and was "cleared for takeoff" by the 10th day post-surgery.  We did stay a few extra days, as my brother-in-law and sister were at Edwards AFB at the time.  The flight to Louisiana a few days later was fine, with no problems in how I felt.
Wishing you the very best,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

bpham

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:50:35 am »
I flew to Asia from Los Angeles after 2 months post-op Translab.  Had no issue whatsoever and that was a 16-18 hour fly one-way.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.