Author Topic: mild retraction of fat?  (Read 2393 times)

konnie

mild retraction of fat?
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »
How is everyone? sorry i have been away, very busy with work and life circumstances.  very stressful year lets just leave it at that.
I just had my One year Post MRI  and the Findings were quite peculiar. it read. (There is no evidence of increased intracranial pressure or midline shift. No acute hemorrhage or edema are demonstrated. Large mastoidectomy defect on the left with pat packing is redemonstrated. THERE HAS BEEN SOME MILD RETRACTION OF THE FAT SINCE THE PREVIOUS STUDY......
Infusion of contrast demonstrates faint dural enhancement at the surgical site without evidence of recurrent of tumor.

I know i should be happy for what it does say no evidence of recurrent tumor. How ever i can't help but worry about the fat retraction. is this normal and does it continue and if so do i have to have more fat packed in?
I would appreciate anyones input on this subject.
God Bless
Konnie
AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

Kaybo

Re: mild retraction of fat?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:06:42 pm »
My Dr. said that the fat dissolves over time - this is one of the things I specifically remember us talking about at a post-op visit b/c I asked him that if fat dissolved on my head, why didn't it dissolve on my tummy?  His response was this "Only you would ever ask me that question?"   ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:56:29 pm »
Konnie ~

Welcome back!  I hope you're doing wel after an 'interesting' year.

I believe the notation about 'fat retraction'  simply means that the belly fat used has begun to be absorbed by your body and there is less of it than they saw on your last MRI scan.  Of course, I'm not a doctor and could be mistaken - but I wouldn't worry too much about this.  I know you'll be seeing or calling your doctor to get his professional opinion and that should ease your concerns.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:58:51 pm »
Mild retraction?? I have a small crater in the side of my head! But lucky for me, I have lots of hair! My Dr. never said anything about the "retraction of fat", but when I mentioned my crater, he just chuckled! Oh well! Life could be so much worse!
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07