Author Topic: Insulin pump & surgery  (Read 3144 times)

rays

Insulin pump & surgery
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »
Hi all,

One week away from my middle fossa at HEI. I'm a Type 1 diabetic and use an insulin pump. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience wearing a pump during surgery. I saw my endocrinologist and he said every hospital is different as far as keeping it on or letting them control my levels through an IV.

Thanks,

Ray
2/17/12- Urgent Care dizzy/ringing in ear.Told sinus infection.It wasn't
2/23- ENT Doc Inconclusive.Sent to hearing test
3/8- Hearing test
3/12- ENT concerned w/test results.Sent for MRI
3/12- MRI
3/19- ENT sees AN.Sent to HEI
3/21- Dr. House recommends middle fossa
4/26- Scheduled for Surgery

Cheryl R

Re: Insulin pump & surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:08:41 am »
I am not diabetic but a retired nurse and there have been a few questions on here from other diabetics.      I am not sure if they will keep the pump on you.    I am guessing they will not.     Your blood sugars will be going up due to the steroids you will be getting.     So they be checking the blood sugars often and give you insulin possibly thru continous drip IV during surgery and immed after.     They may go to sub q once you are eating and the dose according to what the sugar is.      Just make sure and remind the surgeon about this and if you have problems in the past with your levels.          Your appetite might be good post op or not feel like eating much so can't tell ahead exactly.                      Good luck with your surgery and hope the mid fossa does well for you.
                                                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

rays

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:59:29 am »
Cheryl,

Thank you for the response. It's interesting you said to remind them. My endocrinologist told me too keep reminding them as well. He said that many times they don't realize that I could be type 1. They see a 50+ year old an assume he's type 2.

I'll take your advice and continually remind them.

Ray
2/17/12- Urgent Care dizzy/ringing in ear.Told sinus infection.It wasn't
2/23- ENT Doc Inconclusive.Sent to hearing test
3/8- Hearing test
3/12- ENT concerned w/test results.Sent for MRI
3/12- MRI
3/19- ENT sees AN.Sent to HEI
3/21- Dr. House recommends middle fossa
4/26- Scheduled for Surgery

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:56:22 am »
Cheryl,

Thank you for the response. It's interesting you said to remind them. My endocrinologist told me too keep reminding them as well. He said that many times they don't realize that I could be type 1. They see a 50+ year old an assume he's type 2.

I'll take your advice and continually remind them.

Ray

Not sure if this was stated it is too much to keep on top of all the posts and topics but if you have any sort of neck issues let them know so important on how they position your head during surgery many times people just cannot remember everything or think it will be an issue.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.