Author Topic: BAHA, CROS, OR NOTHING? NEED SOME OPINIONS. PLEASE HELP.  (Read 21492 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA, CROS, OR NOTHING? NEED SOME OPINIONS. PLEASE HELP.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 04:11:25 pm »
Just upgraded to my 3rd Cochlear BAHA processor - and couldn't be happier.  How those who go with "nothing" is honestly beyond me.  I was miserable before I got my BAHA.  The demo blew me away and made me feel hopeful for the first time since my AN surgery left me SSD.

Started with the Divino, upgraded about a year later to the BP100, just upgraded to the BAHA 5 (it was programmed this afternoon).

Have always been extremely happy with Cochlear products and their customer service.  Demo'd the Oticon Ponto at the same time I demo'd the Cochlear BP100 and wasn't really impressed with it.  Plus at that time Oticon was just entering the BAHA market; up until then they'd only manufactured conventional hearing aids.  Cochlear bought out Entific - they've been in the BAHA market the longest - plus they've been making CI's (Cochlear Implants) for years.

The BAHA 5 is phenomenal.  Smallest - yet most powerful - processor currently on the market and the technology is amazing.  There is even an iPhone app. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 07:47:31 am »
Jan,For the Baja, do you have to pay for the upgrades? Or does the insurance cover it?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 12:09:05 pm »
Depends on your insurance.  Some companies will pay for an upgrade after 5 years.  Medicare/Medicaid typically does also, but lately I've heard they are trying to "push back" on those claims.

I have BCBS-IL and, while my policy does cover upgrades, they refused to cover mine because there was nothing wrong with my BP100 (it wasn't lost or broken; I just wanted to upgrade to new technology).  I probably could have fought them, but I didn't because I'm fortunate enough to have an employer who pays for anything insurance doesn't; so I purchased the BAHA 5 that way. 

In the meantime, I'm sending my BP100 to another ANer who has been without a processor for a couple of years now.  Her processor needs repair and is out of warranty; she has no insurance coverage for a new one.  So this is a win-win for both of us  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 04:38:42 pm »
So after a couple days with the cross2 trial. Raises some questions. With the automatic mode, the only mode I have right now,  I can hear a gnat clapping from a mile away.  I mean I can hear someone crumpling a bag of chips but I have to turn up the device to hear speech better in louder places. Can this be adjusted?  Or is this a normal thing? My family notices a big difference in all situations. Other question are for both users. Baja and cross.   What are the things that annoy you about them?   Already not being a hearing aid user the cross seems to itch a lot and I can hear my hair rubbing on it sometimes.  Maybe I am expecting to much.  Overall my experience is positive but still can't make up my mind. If I can't stand having things in and on my ears I may go baja.  So would love to hear what bugs you about them.  Thanks.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 07:38:04 pm »
So after a couple days with the cross2 trial. Raises some questions. With the automatic mode, the only mode I have right now,  I can hear a gnat clapping from a mile away.  I mean I can hear someone crumpling a bag of chips

Go to the bathroom with your hearing aids turned on and you'll near Niagara Falls. LOL.

I have to turn up the device to hear speech better in louder places. Can this be adjusted?

The CROS II handles that a little better than my old CROS but it's still not perfect. It can, however, be adjusted and other programs added that might help a little more if you decide to keep it.

What are the things that annoy you about them?   Already not being a hearing aid user the cross seems to itch a lot and I can hear my hair rubbing on it sometimes. 

That's all something you get used to after a while.

When my ears get itchy or scaley I rub in a little antibiotic cream or cortisone cream. Helps the hearing aids slide in easier and prevents itching and scaling.

I've never noticed the sound of my hair, though, and I wear my hair a little over my ears.

Overall my experience is positive but still can't make up my mind. If I can't stand having things in and on my ears I may go baja.  So would love to hear what bugs you about them.  Thanks.

After more than three years (paraphrasing Dr Strangelove) I have learned to stop worrying and love the hearing aids.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:47 pm »
Honestly nothing bugs me about my BAHA.  I'm very satisfied - always have been, and am even more so with the BAHA 5.
Have worn it in every day settings (for me that means work and home) and noisy settings (and this past weekend, a crowded restaurant and a concert - the band Chicago).  It worked great in both places and it was wonderful to use the app on my iPhone to make the necessary adjustments in programs and volume.  Because switching programs and increasing/decreasing volume is done through my iPhone I don't have to touch my BAHA anymore unless I'm putting it on or taking it off.  You can even adjust the bass and treble through the app.  It's extremely easy to forget you're wearing it.

I've always liked the way no one realizes I'm wearing a BAHA - which is one of the reasons I chose it in the first place.  Even though today's hearing aids are tiny, they're still noticeable to others.  Not a huge deal, but the BAHA is visible to no one.  I wear my hair short and it's completely covered. 

Just my two cents - for what it's worth.

Jan

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 05:05:42 am »
just thought i would finish up the discussion.  for people that are curious i chose the phonak (cross) hearing aids instead of the implant.  it seems to work well.  i can't say it does miracles,but it does the job and i am satisfied.  thanks for all your input and advice!!!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 10:12:12 am »
just thought i would finish up the discussion.  for people that are curious i chose the phonak (cross) hearing aids instead of the implant.  it seems to work well.  i can't say it does miracles,but it does the job and i am satisfied.  thanks for all your input and advice!!!

Did you get the PilotOne remote control? With it your hearing aids can add a few programs that you can switch to depending on what's happening around you.

http://www.phonak.com/com/b2c/en/products/wireless-accessories/products/pilote-one/hearing-aid-accessory.html

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 01:57:36 pm »
yeah i did get it.  they included it for free.  i seem to use it occasionally, but it is handy.