Author Topic: BAHA, CROS, OR NOTHING? NEED SOME OPINIONS. PLEASE HELP.  (Read 21491 times)

CHRISOMLOR

BAHA, CROS, OR NOTHING? NEED SOME OPINIONS. PLEASE HELP.
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:08:14 am »
I am new here and all this info is overwhelming.  Wish I found this site before my surgery.  Anyway, I had my AN surgery about 7 years ago and have been going thru problems with hearing on the bad side.  I am finally considering getting some type of hearing aid.  I went through the preliminary testing, and did the "test drive" with the BAHA  and the CROS.  I have to say that I was exicited and somewhat disappointed at the same time.  They both seemed to sound like I was in an old pickup truck (tin can).   Now the people said that the demo's are just that demo's.  They assured me that everything could be adjusted to my preferrences.   My questions are: 
Do the adjustments work?
Can these help you in crowded areas,background noise,dinner conversations?
Pros and Cons?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA, CROS, OR NOTHING? NEED SOME OPINIONS. PLEASE HELP.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:28:36 am »
Hi CHRISOMLOR and welcome to this forum .....

First of all, people are correct that demos on bands are never as good as they are after implant ..... and yes, the processor must be programed for your personal/unique hearing by a trained audiologist.

Secondly, I would urge you to demo both the Cochlear BAHA and the Oticon Medical Ponto for direct comparison.  You might find a distinct difference in sound quality ..... I know I did.  I love my Ponto Pro bone-anchored hearing system and the sound is as close to natural as possible.  That being said, Cochlear did just release an updated model that may have better sound quality than previous models.

As with anyone with hearing loss of any kind, noisy environments are always problematic with any hearing aid system.

I did not demo the CROS because I did not want something hanging over my ears if there was any other way to hear better ..... so I cannot help you with any other pros and cons.  I put my Ponto processor on after my shower every day and do not think about it again until I am getting ready for bed.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 12:14:53 pm »

Can these help you in crowded areas,background noise,dinner conversations?

I don't think any method is going to completely solve the background noise in restaurants and noisy social settings but I'm having a bit more success with the CROS II equipment that was introduced a few months ago than I had with the earlier generation CROS equipment that I got three years ago.

Check out our ongoing discussion about the CROS II. A couple of us are having success with it.

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21818.0
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 05:54:22 pm »
Hi and welcome,
I have a BAHA 4 that I got in Dec. it's ok. I am SSD on the right so a hearing aid would not work so I never tried one and can't comment on that side.

I will say I have had several adjustments by trained audiologists, one being a Cochlear rep, ( manufacturing co. Rep),, and although I have gotten better results , I have not had that A-HA moment we all hope for. I know some have the Cochlear BAHA and love it but I'm just not that sold on it. I wear it because I have it and the more you wear any type hearing device the better. It allows your brain to adjust to the new hearing input.

Like Clarice says,, I would try the Oticon also if possible and see if you can tell a difference in the quality of sound. Cochlear does have a newer model out last  April , the BAHA 5, however, the big difference in it than what I have is a slightly smaller processor, by 20%, and connectivity directly to an IPhone. So I was told there is not much quality difference in what I have.

As Jack says, nothing is going to give you back the hearing you did have nor really great experiences in large gatherings. There is just too much noise coming into the "aid" for you to distinguish.

One other thought,, you will not get directionality with a BAHA type device. You can not tell where the sound is coming from because it is still going from processor through the bone to your good ear to hear it. Extremely frustrating. I will say I was SSD for three years before getting BAHA so I was used to not hearing from that side and may be a reason I have not had a truly good experience.  Also, if you are not SSD,, I would think a hearing aid device might be worth looking into. Much less invasive if you don't like it and wider choices of companies.

Good luck to you though.

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:50:27 am »
I am SSD on the right side and appreciate all the info I can get.   I have been SSD on my right side since 2007, so I guess I won't get my hopes up too high.   I am just tired of missing out on conversations, especially while driving.  Clarice I am glad you mentioned the Ponto brand.  My doctor does offer that brand and the audiologist told me if I am not sure what to get that the doctor will recommend the Ponto.  I have another appt. today, so I will take all this with me.  I think I have to try something instead of nothing.  The CROS is still and option, but insurance won't cover it due to no surgery. (around 3k)  Thanks for the input.  It really helps!!  I will update after appt.

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:55:15 am »
Also, I forgot to mention.  The PONTO has this device that you hang around your neck for added features.  It's supposed to help with some noise problems and others.  Also lets you stream music?  Has anyone used this or is this something brand new.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 05:31:32 am »
Hi CHRISOMLOR .....

Just adding that I am deaf left so when my husband is driving, the Ponto has been a HUGE help in our ability to communicate.  I do also wear a custom made musician's earplug in my good (right) ear when riding in the car, to block out some of the distracting road noise.

Since hearing and the brain being able to process the input go together, the sooner after becoming deaf you use hearing assistance of any kind, the faster/better the results.  It really is a "training/re-training" of the brain that has to happen.  Many people make the mistake of only trying to use their hearing assists when they want to hear something ..... that does not train the brain.  To get the best results, one needs to wear whatever device consistently in all situations.  Hope that makes sense.

Yes, the new Ponto Pro Plus has the added features you described.  It has had wonderful reviews by users.  I am not eligible for an upgrade until next year, unless I pay out of pocket, so I am patiently waiting.   :o

Clarice

alabamajane

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:44:39 am »
The Cochlear BAHA does have accessories that allow much the same options. A TV streamer that boosts TV sound, a phone clip that I have that allows you to Bluetooth MP3 players and other BT devices plus your phone and has volume button on it , and the mini microphone like what you are discussing that the other person puts on so you can better hear someone in a crowded, large room. There is also a remote control device you can get. Plus  a telecoil device and FM receiver to connect to processor,,,

So as you see,, there are options for all of these hearing assist devices!!
Good luck with your appointment,,, let us hear  :-* from you!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 04:40:43 am »
Well, went to the doctor.  After talking to him, i realized that I still have not made up my mind on what to do.  This is so difficult to make a decision.  After leaning toward the PONTO, I totally flipped the script.  I am now going back next week to try the CROS hearing aid.  Doc said I could try it for 30 days, so I have nothing to lose in trying it out.  One thing I learned from reading here and talking to the Doc is that you have to make several trips to the Doc to adjust and fine tune whatever device you get.  There has to be a way for the user to fine tune. right?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 07:08:10 am »
Because I live in a fairly remote area ..... as far as audiologist's being trained/experienced in bone-anchored hearing devices, I make an almost 3 hour drive to my audiologist.  In four years I have only made the trip four times (first two were six weeks apart).  A good, well-trained audiologist can program it pretty close to perfect the first time.  I've had only minor tweakings since the initial programming.  I go mainly to keep track of the hearing in my "good" ear.

Clarice

arizonajack

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 10:01:17 am »
Well, went to the doctor.  After talking to him, i realized that I still have not made up my mind on what to do.  This is so difficult to make a decision.  After leaning toward the PONTO, I totally flipped the script.  I am now going back next week to try the CROS hearing aid.  Doc said I could try it for 30 days, so I have nothing to lose in trying it out.  One thing I learned from reading here and talking to the Doc is that you have to make several trips to the Doc to adjust and fine tune whatever device you get.  There has to be a way for the user to fine tune. right?

I suggest you opt for the CROS II and Audeo V90 along with the PilotOne II remote control device.

Check out the following brochure on the next to the last page. The V90 can have up to 7 automatic programs and up to 5 switchable programs although some might not be programmable due to the nature of the equipment.

http://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_us/Documents/_Launch/Fall2014/B2B/027-0173-03_PI_Phonak_Audeo_V.pdf

The combination of those three pieces of equipment will give you the flexibility of some user adjustment.

Here's some additional reference material.

The Audeo V User Guide:

http://www.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_us/Documents/_Launch/Fall2014/UserGuide/029-0334-03_User_Guide_Audeo_V_V1.00.pdf

The PilotOne II User Guide:

http://www.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_us/Documents/_Launch/Fall2014/UserGuide/029-0311-03_PilotOne_II_User_Guide_V1.00.pdf

The Phonak webpage about the CROS II. There are links to additional reference material on the right side of the page:

http://www.phonakpro.com/com/b2b/en/products/hearing_instruments/cros_II/overview.html

That should give you plenty of information so that you are up to date by the time you actually get the equipment.

Words of caution:

Make sure you are getting the CROS II equipment (state of the art) and not the older CROS.

Don't omit the remote control device. It costs between $150 and $200 but you can probably save on that by including it in your package deal. Without it you have no flexibility and it will get very annoying very fast when you have to reach up to your ears to push the buttons every time you want to adjust something.

I've had my new equipment for two months and have not needed another trip to the audiologist as I have been able to work with the programming just fine so far.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:06:39 am by arizonajack »
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 06:11:06 am »
arizonajack,
thanks a lot!! That's the exact staight up  info that I was hoping to get.  I feel more educated on the CROS now and will ask for the equipment you suggested.  What a huge help!  I'll let you know how it goes.

arizonajack

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 07:49:34 am »
I feel more educated on the CROS now and will ask for the equipment.

CROS II.

Practice that.

;D
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

NYLady

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 12:29:53 pm »
Hi Chris,

I am a lady that learned about the new Audeo and Bicros system by Phonak on this forum (greatly educated by Arizona Jack).  I have been using this system for about four months and just love it.  I can only hear tones in my AN ear (no word recognition since Gamma Knife last July, 2014) I have a severe hearing loss in my "good" ear.  I have the Audeo 70, which is one step down from Jack's 90.  The features my model does not have would not have been possible for me to gain benefit according to my audiologist, so I went with that model.  It has made a world of difference to me with my hearing.  Surgeons mentioned Cochlear implant, but to be honest, I did not want anything invasive if it could be avoided.  You really do owe it to yourself to give the Bicros a try...and its a free trial.  You will know immediately if it can help you, but to gain the most benefit, it would have to be programmed to your specifications over time.  Worth a try and I think you will be delighted with the results.  Let us know how you make out.  Best of luck.

NYL

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 12:16:09 pm »
So just got back from the audiologist with my new cross II, and audeo v90.  of course the remote didn't come in yet.  my first impression was a geat one with the audiologist whispering on my right (bad) side and I could hear it loud and clear.  And the drive home was a little getting used too, passing mack trucks is a little louder and could here passengers.  I am initially pleased.  I'll see how it works in other situations.  another surprise is I really can't tell that I have them on, except for the intial itching, which did pass. 
INFO:  right now I only have the automatic program.  that is all they would put in for the "free trial".  I go back in 3 weeks for tweeking.  So the "free trial" is 4000.00 bucks up front and if I don't like it then I can return it minus 200 bucks in thirty days.