Author Topic: Does anyone have one eye bigger then the other  (Read 20316 times)

cin605

Does anyone have one eye bigger then the other
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:03:54 pm »
One of my eyes is clearly more wide open then the other....on the surgery side my eye is open wider...nice one sided face lift. ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
Re: Does anyone have one eye bigger then the other
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »
Yes. I have this issue.

But I have asked people if they notice. And not a single person, including family, notice.

Since noone seams to notice or care. I look at it as a internal issue between me, myself, and I.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:00:20 pm »
Everytime Kendie draws a picture of me, one eye is bigger and rounder than the other...she also frequently puts that I am the "beast!"  So precious...of course, she means, best!  Dave is always bald with just a little tuff of hair...don't know which is better!!   ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cinnamon

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 06:38:40 pm »
Hi,

I haven't been on this site in a very long time. I used to have a bigger eye. Something that seems to help me alot is using a first aid tape that is one inch wide and to tape my eye closed every night. Also, when I was about a year or two post surgery I used the Blinkeze external eye weight which I feel helped alot. I too, have had family say they didn't notice but I could plainly see it in pictures of myself. Anyways, something to try for yourself if interested.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

iluuvpups

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:49:50 pm »
I'm about a year out from my translab.  I've recently noticed that my non tumor side eye is open wider than my tumor side eye.  I don't know if it's been there all along or something new.  I'm sure if I asked anyone, they wouldn't see it as it's a very small difference.  But I notice it.

It's interesting that for some, the surgery side eye is open wider.  With mine being the opposite, I assumed that the reason for that was some facial nerve damage and my surgery side eye is drooping a bit.  The eyebrow on the surgery side hasn't been able to lift up all the way since the surgery either.  I thought they were related.

--Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

AnnR

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:34:28 pm »
my experience with a "droopy" eyelid which my Eye Doctor calls it Ptosis,  started over four years ago.  I first had a severe "spinning" bout which turned out to be vertigo.  soon after that I began to need my glasses more and began to notice my eye drooping.  It was a little over two years after the vertigo that I was diagnosed with An.  My neurosurgeon told me that the drooping eyelid had no connection to the AN.  I'm not totally convinced about this. I can have plastic surgery to correct this but until it gets much worse, I don't want the surgery.  The drooping eyelid is on the AN side. It is definitely noticeable to others.

AnnR

Juliette

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »
My rigth eye is bigger since my surgery. the doctor says that my optical nerve and my facial nerve were compressed by the size of my tumour. Moste people don,t notice, my husband finds it cute and my son got use to it.
31 years old
3,2cm x 3 cm AN diagnose in march 2007
translab surgery on 0ctober 17, 2008 in CHUM à montreal
with BAHA

ombrerose4

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:27:56 am »
About 6 months after surgery I noticed that my eye on AN side looked different than the other eye. It looked as if it was bulging outward alittle bit. I went to a neuropthamologist for a consult and thankfully she didn't find any problems, although she did measure a say the eye was slightly more protruding the my other eye. I also get an occasional droopy lid on this side- mostly when I am tired. No one notices unless I point it out to them, so I guess it's not a big deal. :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

nftwoed

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 09:43:33 am »
Hello;
  I noticed a larger pupil the post AN side 4 years out. It ocurred during a period of high emotional stress.
  My local was at a los of what to say. I was alarmed as know this can be symptomatic of something more serious.
  The event didn't last long. As soon as the stress lessened, the pupil became equal in size to the other.

moe

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 09:51:33 am »
Interesting topic ;)
I've always had my AN eye bigger, because my facial nerve was cut, had the eye stitched half way shut for 6 months. That was revered and the muscles around the eye have since atrophied. (shrunk, or lost elasticity).

I just had an "eye tuck" , called a canthoplasty to tuck up the corner. Now there is the issue of all that extra eyelid tissue, but I have to be careful with my cornea and all, so they say let it be......

Anyway, lots of us have one eye bigger than the other, and honestly it is more noticeable to us than to others. :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ajax

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 02:59:41 am »
Hi there,  :)

I am new to the site, but cut  a long story short, I too have had AN and had it removed in 1999.  Which has left me with bells palsy on left side.

My AN side also has a wider side, like everyone on here family and friends have  said they don't notice it.  But I know it's there, and I hate having my photo taken as you can really tell that one eye is wider than the other. When the weather is slightly sunny I wear big sunglasses so people don't notice that only one eye is closing.    I also have to  use tape to close my eye at night and use minims eye drops when needed.

mandy x

ChristineH

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 09:12:02 pm »
Oh my gosh that is so weird this topic came up. I had surgery April 7th and I recently noticed that my AN side eye is larger. None of my family or friends have said anything. I wonder what causes this. One of those "hmmm" in our AN world.
2.3cm x 1.9cm x 1.6cm, April 7, 2011 Retro Sig at Barrows in Phoenix, AZ. by Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter slight growth to 2.6cm -3.0cm day prior to surgery. SSD and balance isssues. 6 month MRI shows "enhanced area" : ( Will repeat again in 4 months.

Anomar11

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »
My AN is on left.  Eight years ago, I had a professional picture taken and it came to my attention that my left eye was much larger-open.  It's very obvious.
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 06:26:18 am »
Well, one eye bigger than the other - no, but upon my examination by the neurosurgeon before my surgery he pointed out that my eyelid on my left eye (AN side) did not open as much as the other eye. I had never noticed this myself but once he pointed it out I could see it. It has gotten better since the surgery but if you look close you could see that the lid is still not as far open as the other. It is very slight and I have to point it out and one has to look hard for it to be noticed.

;)

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 06:06:05 am »
I am now 7 months post op and doing well.  Looking forward (?) to hip replacement on Aug. 5.  The last 3 weeks or so, my left eye (AN side) has been "bothering" me.  I'm monovision and that is my eye for close-up sight and it's not as good as it was.  The eye gets tired and feels funny and I noticed that the eyelid droops.  Should i see the eye doc first or call the surgeon?  What do you guys think?  I'm still working on this year's deductible, so hate to spend money on one doctor when I'll have to see the other one anyway.
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.