Author Topic: OK - when will my head start to feel better?  (Read 4332 times)

marymomof3

OK - when will my head start to feel better?
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:17:43 pm »
OK - so I'm 1 1/2 weeks post op.  Sometimes I feel good, sometimes I'm really weak....  The past 2 days I've had a splitting headache.  Like my head is 10 times the size it's supposed to be.  When will this feeling go away?
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: OK - when will my head start to feel better?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:18:25 pm »
"Postie" Mary -

I can't say for certain, since I didn't experience any headaches, but I can tell you that I literally felt better with each passing day.  From what I've read on this forum, you are doing quite well with your recovery, which in itself is very impressive!  I'm guessing that as the days and weeks go by, you will continue to make great strides and that your head will feel much better  :)

Hang in there; you've been through major surgery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marymomof3

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 06:57:14 pm »
Thanks Jan - I do feel better everyday.  And I am so grateful for everyone's support and of course great surgeons.  The past 2 days were just a little tougher because of the headaches.  I took pain meds which made me slow and 'high'.  I don't like either feeling, so I'm just working on getting to a happy medium. 
Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:01:17 pm »
I can only guess two things - stay hydrated and perhaps you are coming off the meds and anesthetic effects.  There is an old tale about day 9 being a bad one post op.

If you are using your eyes a lot, try resting in a dark and quiet room a couple times a day.

Have you told the doctor about the headaches?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 07:03:03 pm by Boppie »

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 07:58:32 pm »
well I hope its soon.  I have always had headaches, but I do get this weird head feeling ( cant really describe it)and Im almost 2 yrs.   Im still not the same.  Good luck !!! stay positive. :)
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Denisex2boys

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 08:04:37 pm »
((((HUGS)))) sweetie!  I hope the headaches go away for you - - that is one thing I am curious about - as I am a HUGE headache sufferer with this AN - so I may be one of the few whose heachaches hopefully go away after the surgery - - again ((((HUGS)))) - I am sooooo' glad your surgery was successful! 
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

marymomof3

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 06:30:31 pm »
Thanks all!  I have never been a headache sufferer before - so I'm probably a baby about it as well.  But today was much better!!  One day at a time....

Mary

lori67

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 08:28:26 pm »
Mary, no one recovering from brain surgery can be called a baby!

It's still really early in your recovery from such a major event.  I know it was little by little for me as far as feeling better, but after a few weeks (and after my mother-in-law went home) I was okay.   I had the headaches before the surgery and I really have only had one or two since - and they were nothing compared to what they were pre-op.

It's hard to be patient when you just want to feel like yourself again, but you'll get there.  Get lots of rest.

Hang in there!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 09:18:27 pm »
Mary,  You are still at a point in recovery when you probably need some short naps, but this is so hard to do with family around.  My daughter-in-law has twin boys age 7 and she hits the bed at 7:30 as soon as they are in bed.  You are doing such a big job to go through recovery and find time for others. 

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 08:15:45 am »
OK - so I'm 1 1/2 weeks post op.  Sometimes I feel good, sometimes I'm really weak....  The past 2 days I've had a splitting headache.  Like my head is 10 times the size it's supposed to be.  When will this feeling go away?

You're still recovering!  I'd be more surprised if you weren't feeling like this, actually.

I was on round-the-clock Tylenol or Advil for about 4 weeks.  I could never let the stuff wear off, or I'd really pay the price!  After those 4 weeks, I could go longer between doses, but it was probably 6 or 7 weeks out before I was able to go a day without any painkillers.

Rest whenever you can still.  That will make it all easier.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 06:20:02 pm »

Rest whenever you can still.  That will make it all easier.

Katie

Great advice, Katie.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 09:09:08 pm »
Every day/week/month brings you progress. Hang in there. I had a "fat head" for several months post op off and on. A fullness in the ear too. Both symptoms were worse after exercise, fatigue, noisy places. It gets better. Best wishes, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!