Author Topic: strange hearing recovery  (Read 2566 times)

zhengcw

strange hearing recovery
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:47 pm »
Hi, everyone,

Does anyone have this experience - "hearing recovery"? These days, I have only 50%~70% heaing on my right ear, but sometime, I have 100% hearing as my left one, I was diagnosed 21mmx16mmx16mm AN right ear. I have persist tongue numbness, and light face numbness, and headache.
Is this 'normal' symptom of AN - means 100% hearing !

Sometimes feel panic  - could be something else?

Chiwen

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: strange hearing recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:00:54 pm »
Chiwen ~

If your AN resides in your right ear, as it were, it's normal for you to lose some hearing in that ear, although, with AN patients, how much hearing you lose will vary from person to person - and some AN patients lose little or no hearing in the affected ear.  It's entirely situational.   However, your unaffected left ear should retain it's normal level of hearing because the AN within your right ear does not affect the opposite ear, unless you developed a (second) tumor in that ear (your left), which is rare.  The question remains: how do you know you have '100%' hearing in your left ear?  If your hearing ability in your left ear seems to be fluctuating, you may need some further tests to ascertain if this change is simply apparent - or real. At this point, I see no need to panic because your other symptoms seem to be relatively common for AN patients; the tongue/facial numbness - and the hearing loss. Again, if you're convinced that your ability to hear in your left ear - the one without the AN -   is changing, even for the better, you should consider having it checked out to learn if there is a problem or simply a mis-perception on your part regarding your hearing ability in your 'good' ear.  I hope this can be resolved soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

zhengcw

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:22:23 pm »
Jim,

Thanks, very good explanation!

- Chiwen

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:40:25 pm »
As always, Jim's review is correct. I support his advice for you to get tested.

What are your plans for the growth going forward?

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »
My tumor is on the right. My left hearing is good for my age and all of the terrible things I've done over my life time that destroy hearing. My right side sounds like yours. At times, it is almost as good as my left. At other times, I am deaf or close to it. I have tried to figure out if there is a trigger that might cause the level to vary, but there is none. It just has to be the tumor doing its business.