Author Topic: Introducing: Catlovers Spokesperson  (Read 1970 times)

largecat

Introducing: Catlovers Spokesperson
« on: May 16, 2009, 01:21:28 am »
Hi there!

I think this is a good time to intoduce myself. My name is Mats and I'm 'Catlovers' husband. We've been married for longer than I want to remember and we will probably stay that way.... As you may know we live in Sweden, we have a family with three kids and a cat that I think is rather useless but Helene seems to think he adds something in our lives - I have still to find out what it is - maybe ticks??  :D

Anyway, during next week Helene will have her surgery. Wednesday if all plans work out. I was trying to find her "My surgery-thread" here??  But you seem to post in a different structure??  I'm active in many forums, mostly about 4WD and other big-boys-toys  ;D, and there we have threads per projects. I will ask Helene when she gets out of bed so we follow the standards of the forum. Btw, I'm the morning person in the family...  the rest are deep sleepers... house is soo calm now.

Well, back to topic - once we have a proper surgery thread I will try to keep it updated until Helene has got her eyes, fingers and other less vital parts, like brain, working again. The hospital is one hour from our house, so I will visit her at least once a day.

So, I say "Hello all!" and thanks for supporting my wife so far - she has found so much in the forum: knowledge, facts, humour, support, friendship. I will do my best to fit in, maybe Helene has warned you about my sometimes rather brutal sense of humour? She loves it - but she would never admit it in public :) I will try to behave here..

See you!
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Introducing: Catlovers Spokesperson
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:38:03 am »
Catlover's husband,
Welcome, thanks for posting for her, and this is NO place to behave!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

grega

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 05:37:19 am »
Hi largecat!

Keep the sense of humor (a.k.a. humour) going strong ..... it can only help you, Helene, and others who read your posts  :D   BTW, 3:21 a.m. IS very early  ....... is that Sweden time?

Wednesday will be here and gone before you know .... so I hope nothing interrupts the "plans" leading to that day.  Also, when you visit Helene, plan to stay a while ...... she'll thank you for it!

Stay well and keep  ;D-ing!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:50:29 am »
Welcome, largecat.
Maybe Sweden's hospital staff are super attentive, but if it's anything like the US, don't abandon her there.  She'll need an advocate to ask for things she wants and needs.  She will not likely feel like watching TV or reading or doing anything else that requires mental or visual acuity.  Your company, even if you are just there foruming on your laptop or making phone calls, will be a great comfort to her.  I hope you have someone who can watch your children and beloved CAT so you can spend days at her side.
That's my two kronor worth.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:50:31 am »
Hey Largecat,

We are all here for you so don't hesitate to ask questions and, of course, keep us posted.

BTW, I have 3 cats and have had cats most of my life. I can not think of not having a cat AND I never got a tick from a cat.  ;)

Cheers,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 10:01:40 am »
Hello Mats!
Glad to meet ya!  Welcome from Texas!  I know that you will be a great support for Helene!  Make yourself at home here! ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 10:39:31 am »
Hi Mats,

I updated for my wife Scarlett when she had her surgery.  Personally, it was the best thing I could have done.  It was very helpful to share with others that know “exactlyâ€? what you are going through, and I made some friends along the way.  That’s a win win in my book.

Your sense of humor will go a long ways, especially now!  I tend to be too serious.

Welcome to the forum,

Rich
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:57:09 am »
I will try to behave here..

Well, I'm a little disappointed to hear that!!  ;)  :D  I think you'll fit in very well here, Mats  ;D

Helene is wonderful and I'm confident she'll do well with the surgery.  It will take time for her to recover, but like most of us here, she's a very strong person.

Things will be tough on you - especially the day of surgery; at least that's what I hear from those who were "waiting on me" that day. 

Don't hesitate to ask us anything or just vent your frustrations if you need to.  That's exactly what we're here for.

See you around.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

heyct

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 01:59:28 pm »
Hey Big Cat,

Welcome to the club. It looks like myself & Catlover are doin' the surgery the same day. Please tell her I send my prayers & hope for a speedy recovery...for both of us!
Unfortunately, I don't think my husband is saavy enough to keep everyone updated, but it's nice to know the support is here.

Thanks everyone,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 02:09:24 pm »
Hello Mats, and welcome!

Thanks for joining us - and for being Helen's 'scribe'.  May her surgery go smoothly and her recovery, rapidly.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:18:48 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't think my husband is saavy enough to keep everyone updated, but it's nice to know the support is here.

Carolyn -

perhaps your husband could call another forumite post op and report on your progress.  We are a rather impatient crowd when it comes to "one of our own" having surgery and we get anxious waiting for an update. 

Sorry for the hijack, Mats  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

largecat

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 12:47:28 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Of course I will stay with her as much as is needed - what I meant was that I dont plan to sleep in the hospital or in some nearby hotel. The fact that it is only an hour away means that I can be on standby at home or at work and visit here when it suits Helene. I have no business journeys planned for at least three weeks. After that I have made clear to my boss that I can maybe do two-day trips, but all depends on Helenes recovery . Have to take care of the kids and the house too...    and the cat...

About time differences - we are about 6 hrs ahead of forum time - this is written 08:30 Sunday morning and forum clock says 02:30

About "humour"/"humor" - get used to it!  ;) I spend quite some time on British forums and that has shaped my interpretation of English...  "Swenglish" - it's not pretty, but it works...
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:39:15 am »
Hey Mats,

Just another welcome, this one from Tampa Florida :).  We tend to be a humo(u)rous group, so don't worry about that!  We also have our serious posters, but they won't mind either. 

I know Jan already mentioned some of this, but surgery day is going to fly by for Helene, probably to the point where she won't even remember much of it.  For you, it will be the longest day of your life :).  I went into surgery at 7:30 AM, went to post-op recovery at around noon where my wife was allowed a short visit, then didn't get into a room (ICU) until about 7 PM that evening.  We had to be at the hospital by 5:30 AM, so you can see how much waiting time there is that day :).  Oh, and my surgery was short, only about 4 hours or so.  Bring things to do that day.  Does the hospital have wireless internet available?  You could catch up on your big toys forums and keep us updated at the same time :).

That's about it really.  The recovery time is unpredictable and varies by person.

Welcome again, and thanks for keeping us updated next week!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Keri

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 12:33:17 pm »
Hi Mats,
Welcome; nice to meet you.
Your sense of humor (humour) is kind of like my husband's. Unfortunately, there are some people who totally take him seriously when he's telling some outlandish story. And he feels about the same way you do about our cat, and makes cat jokes accordingly. But, wouldn't you know, the cat likes HIM better than anyone else in the family!

We'll be looking forward to your updates about Helene and will have her in our thoughts and prayers Wednesday (or... late Tuesday evening, our time).

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

TP

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 06:28:36 am »
Hi Largecat, welcome to the forum. I am a cat and dog lover and they were my companions when I was recovering. They sat next to me all day while my husband was at work and my daughter was at camp.

I recommend the day of the surgery you have someone with you while you are waiting. It will help you a lot to have someone to talk to and spend time with to get your mind off of your wife. Now as far as staying with your wife during her hospital stay my family did not stay with me. After my surgery that evening my husband went home. They visited me every day several times a day but stayed a short time. I didn't want anyone to stay with me for a long period of time. I wanted to sleep and visitors bugged me and kept me from sleeping. I had to go back into the hospital two more times for longer stays (due to complications) and again, I wanted to sleep. My nurses were wonderful and only one time did I have to wait on something and that was on a weekend night and they were short staffed.

I pray and hope your wife's surgery is successful. Thank you for your humor, we need it!! 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision