Author Topic: MRI AN Negative But Now What?  (Read 2543 times)

Hattrick

MRI AN Negative But Now What?
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:26:39 am »
My ENT doctor's nurse just called to say the MRI w/wo contrast was negative for AN in my left ear. Needless to say I was so happy but also surprised as my symptoms surely indicated AN. So now what? I would be interested in reading all your thoughts on this including having another read of the MRI. I do have a follow up with my ENT next Thursday. Here's the backstory. I went to see my ENT last week complaining of more hearing loss mostly in my left ear with a clogged feeling. I now know to refer it as my ear feels full. I'm 54  years old with hearing loss at the level I qualify for hearing aids. Also I have tinnitus 24/7 in both ears but more in my left  described as hissing and various tones from low to high pitches. At the ENT appointment audiologist gave me hearing test. Been 14 months since my last test. HZ and dB dropped slightly with more in left ear. Big drop in speech discrimination score from 100 in right ear to 80 and from 100 to 32 in left ear! As a result ENT requested MRI which was negative for NA. I would be intersted in hearing your thoughts and experiences on what's going on with my hearing. BTW: This is an amazing and helpful website! Have a great day!     

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: MRI AN Negative But Now What?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:02 am »
Many of us have become knowledgeable about ANs out of necessity, because we have verified that we have one.

In the absence of an AN your symptoms could be from a variety of conditions.

Sudden hearing loss could be due to infection or sudden exposure to loud noises. Hearing loss over a period of time could be from age and deterioration of the hearing organs or even from some other medical condition.

Best to rely on your doctors to figure it out.

We'd only be taking wild guesses.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0