Author Topic: Good Social Security Disability news!  (Read 8356 times)

Cheryl R

Good Social Security Disability news!
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:13 am »
April 1st was not Aprils Fools day for me when looked online at my checking account and there was what I was sure to be an error of a good amount of money showing up.           I googled what SSA Treas 310 meant and can say that I am getting my Social Security Disability on the 2nd try!          This is even back till the 5 yrs since I had the last surgery and the no balance nerves meant work was no more as a hospital nurse.      Issues with my hearing yet and bad typing skills left me with nothing I saw in nursing locally.        So this is such a relief to have it go thru!           I should have tried again sooner and am surprised was not asked for more testing and meeting with a dr.  I did meet with a psychologist.       A new car is needed badly as amy current many miles minivan has been going downhill lately!           I am still in shock.     Plus also that it just showed up in my checking account!       A friend said she of someone else that was that way also.                          So has been happy week for me!                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

KBL

Re: Good Social Security Disability news!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:43 am »
Cheryl, I am very happy for you.  I know SS is a long, stressful journey.  I am on my 3rd try.  I will keep watching my bank account!  This is encouraging, I have been afraid with the current political climate that it would be impossible.  I hope you can take a small bit of it and do something nice for yourself like a massage, or pedi!  Celebrate this victory.  Karen :)
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »
Woo Hoo, Cheryl!!!

Perseverance does pay off!!  You are so deserving of this!  Now there is hope for others in your situation!

Enjoy!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:26:08 pm »
Cheryl ~

We all know how frustrating obtaining Social Security Disability benefits can be yet how badly some of us need them.  I'm delighted to learn that your application was approved.  Congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:22:28 am »
Cheryl,

I am SO glad I came across this!  SO HAPPY for you that it came through!!!! 8)

Denise

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jackie

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:52:51 pm »
Hello Cheryl,

So very glad that you are now getting what rightfully is yours from SS. You are fortunate and so deserving!!! Enjoy!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

alicat

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:33 am »
Cheryl, congratulations!!!

My name is Allie please I need suggestions, if you could PM my Fiance has applied for SSDI, and was denied on first try. Please see my post here's link: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=19116.0

If you don't mind could you please PM me, maybe you could offer suggestion's for us.

He has no health insurance, was denied Workers Compensation, he's now unemployed.

The Neurosurgeon said since this AN is compressing on brain stem, without surgery he is terminal.

We have until October 1, 2013 to file Request For Reconsideration, I'm a Survivor of a Ependymoma Spinal Cord Tumor and I also am on SSDI, my attorney that represented me suggested that we file the Request For Reconsideration on our own, to possibly save of the lawyer fee's, and if we are successful we won't need him.

If reconsideration is denied again, the lawyer will, file for hearing with Administrative Law Judge for his benefits. So FRUSTRATED, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Alicat.

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 01:43:48 pm »
Allie, Sorry to be so slow to get back to you.        I can not believe he has been denied by SSD and so many other state agencies.        I do wonder if what state a person is in does make a difference.   I am in Iowa.         I also am older as was 60 when applied 2nd time.      They said they used some info from the first time I tried and of course rejected.       I was expecting to get denied the 2nd time too.        I did have to fill out and describe my info and my husband also was sent one to fill out.      I did go to a psychologist to be evaluated and some forgetfulness at times might have played a part in helping.         Then all of a sudden the money for back for when I had quit work showed up in my checking account.        My first effort to apply the 2nd time was all by computer other than the  questionnaire they sent and the psychologist appt.           So this was not the way I expected it to go at all.      Nursing had been my only education and work.            As much as you have gone thru already, I hate to have to say it but a lawyer sounds like what you need also.                  Wish I could be of more help to you and hope that you will get the help you need soon.                   Keep asking what questions you have here.              I hope for the best for you both!                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

alicat

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:13:42 am »
Thanks to everyone for your good thoughts and wishes! It's great to be able to have a place to vent and be understood. We probably will be going w/the attorney who handled my case back in 2004 (I'm a spinal cord tumor survivor and am on SSDI myself). In my case, the atty had to take the case before an appeals judge, since I kept being turned down for benefits even though it was very clear that I'm permanently and totally disabled. It's so demoralizing to deal w/their BS all the time - and I personally do believe with all my heart that where you live plays a big role in whether you're approved or not. I'm very happy for you, though, that your benefits were approved - I know firsthand just how difficult it is!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:09:53 pm »
Good for you Cheryl! Second try w/o a lawyer is almost unheard of unless you are in a coma--it varies from state to state--NC is one of the bad ones--it took me 5 yrs, 2 turn-downs and after my court date it was still a year and a half for the judge to make up her frickin mind!  Good that you got the back-dated money, too.  The state of NC managed to finagle a way to not give me but about 1/4 of what I qualified for--so much for being self-employed.

I am really glad for you, girl!!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW