Author Topic: ANA Symposium - Aug 9-11 in Los Angeles  (Read 13477 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
ANA Symposium - Aug 9-11 in Los Angeles
« on: March 01, 2013, 05:41:41 am »
Hi all,

Ok, anyone from the forum attending?  The past 2 symposiums that I attended (I know CherylR and others have attended MANY more than me!), we had a good Discussion Forumites turnout!

Phyl

Details:

ANA 21st National Symposium
August 9-11, 2013
Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, Los Angeles, CA
Sponsored by:
House Clinic and the Doctors of the House Clinic

Every two years ANA presents their national symposium for pre-and post-treatment acoustic neuroma patients, family members, friends and health care professionals for a weekend of educational lectures, workshops and panel discussions – all with leading acoustic neuroma medical professionals.  The symposium will showcase the best thinking from both practitioners and visionaries on the major issues confronting acoustic neuroma patients. 
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

Re: ANA Symposium - Aug 9-11 in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:15:04 am »
I have been to the last 5 symposiums.     The first one I went to in 2003 was in Anaheim.         I am not planning on making it this year but would dearly love to go.      I have enjoyed them all and learned something new every time.          I hope there is the usual good number of attendees.         It is a great way to learn more about ANs and even NF2.                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sidecar Kathy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:05:54 pm »
Looking forward to attending the Symposium.  Already registered and will be going with another ANer as we will be sharing a room. 

chelsmom

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »
Hi All,

Chelsea and I are hoping to go this year. This is not too far from home and is the area of all her doctors.  Actually, one of her doctors will be presenting.  He is Dr. Azizzadeh...he did her facial paralysis surgeries.  He is a fabulous person!  I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you from this forum.

See you there,
Michelle

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:04:45 pm »
Alas, I will be unable to attend, as that is right around the time I'll be out of state for a few months on business. :( I really wanted to go, so I guess maybe in a couple of years???
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:07:20 am »
May be going... depends on a couple of things, so will advise.

Michelle, would be FAB to see you and Chel again! :) :) :)

Jay, hoping you were going since you are out that way but totally understand. How dare work do that to you!!??!?!?!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 02:27:32 pm »
Yikes!  Just saw that no one had posted on this thread since March.  I hope more people have registered by now since the early deadline for registration is rapidly approaching.

I finally made my hotel reservations and Symposium registration today ..... had to balance some other activities going on this summer before making a decision.  My husband and I will both be there so I hope to see many of my Forum friends in person there!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:32:25 am »
Clarice! YAY!!!!!!!!!!  I communicated with the ANA... there is a chance I am going as well. Stand by for updates :)  Hoping the LA gang (DavidS and all) are attending as well!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 05:51:12 am »
Oh, wonderful!  So hope you can make it, Phyl ..... two years is a long time to go without seeing my AN friends!!!  ;D  The Forum is wonderful to meet new patients/friends who "get it," but it is an added bonus to see them in person, while learning all kinds of new things regarding diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up.

We are going out a few days early to celebrate the birthday of my only remaining aunt, who will be 96 that week and lives in the LA area.  Hope we have time to reconnect with David, Nancy, and Lainie (the infamous LA Gang!), if they are not attending the symposium.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 05:50:48 pm »
Clarice,

Looks like I'm going :)  I agree with you about hooking up with the ANA LA gang and have put a bug in David's ear about meeting up.  We have time. Barring physical issues with me, looks like I'm a go!

SO agree with you! Meeting the forum gang at the past 2 symposiums was a delight and we certainly have left our mark (and a few mugs o' grog) at each event! Here's hoping we have a good turnout with the forumites!

Phyl

MLB57

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 03:41:02 pm »
Hi Phyl,

Hope all's well with you and the bloke!!--Missed having an April brunch, but hopefully this fall..

I wish there could be a symposium here in Boston--I can't imagine why not??

Take care and my best to all..

Grammy/Mary 
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:11:28 am »
Hi All,

Is it too late to sign up?

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 08:14:11 am »
Hi Mike,
No, it's not too late. You can go to the ANA homepage and find the link for the symposium there.

Phyl

Hi All,

Is it too late to sign up?

Mike

NL

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 02:23:15 pm »
Clarice, looking forward to seeing you again at the symposium!

Phyl, hope to see you there, too!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 02:55:54 pm »
I will be taking care of my mom who is having eye surgery August 8. You all have a good time.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13