Author Topic: One week past surgery  (Read 4819 times)

Laurief

One week past surgery
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:07:22 am »
Hello all,

Today I am one week past my surgery- left side translab on 9/23 with Drs. Shelton/Yorgensen/McDonald at Univ. of Utah Medical Center. I must say thank you and how much I appreciate the concern and prayers on my behalf. Patty- you're an angel! The nursing staff at Univ. of Utah was top notch!

The surgery went as well as they expected, they didn't have to cut the facial nerve but I am still having some lack of feeling in the left side of my face, my left arm doesn't always respond like I expect it to (which makes it harder to type -nearly an hour for his message). I had some nystagmus immediately upon recovery, but it is improving and now seems to be worse when I am tired.

On Friday, after surgery, I began to have some CSF leakage from the incision, so they added about 10 staples, I will have someone here in Idaho remove the staples on 10/5. I came home from Utah on Sunday (9/27)

Even having been told by many of you on this forum about the dizziness & nausea I didn't think it would be so bad.  But the nurses did get me sitting up in the ICU and then my family was really insistent about getting me up and walking everyday which really reduced the nausea and spinning. Finally being able to get up and go to the bathroom alone was a big success!

I'm delighted to be home sleeping in my own bed and enjoying the recliner now! 

Laurie
AN 2 cm x 2.7 cm left side, Diagnosed 7/09

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: One week past surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:11:55 am »
Laurie,

since you are now a "postie" (post-treatment), I moved the thread here so we can all celebrate your "postiehood!" :)

Sending you continued wellness wishes to you and so appreciate you checking in to let us know how you are doing.  For 1 wk post surgery and to have you posting.... well, a major feat and well done.

Speedy recovery to you! Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:13:02 am »
I had the same problem with my right arm.  I curled a 2lb weight daily.  For my hands I would open and close my first 30 at a time multiple times a day.  I also worked really hard to move each of my fingers individually as an exercise.  It took a couple of weeks, but it did come back.  Congrats on being home and getting through surgery.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:14 am »
Welcome back, Laurie!  Know it's so good to be home...and yes, it's amazing how things like actually being able to get up and go to the bathroom become major achievements!  Keep on achieving! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:56:48 am »
Laurie,

So glad that your out, things went well and you're at home.....There is no place like home!
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:22:06 pm »
Hi, Lauri ~

Welcome back - and welcome home!  I'm pleased to learn that you're recovering at a fairly normal pace.  You should be past the worst parts of recovery - the dreaded First 3 Days.  I think Nani's suggestion about the light-weight-lifting to help regain your arm strength and mobility is worth a try.  Enjoy both bed and recliner - you've earned the rest.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 07:13:36 pm »
Hi Laurie,

Great to hear that your surgery is over and you are home. Best wishes on your recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 01:05:39 am »
I'm delighted to be home sleeping in my own bed and enjoying the recliner now! 

This is what we want to hear. Glad you made it through! Now sleep and nap. Take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 05:16:38 am »
Hi Laurie

Best wishes on a speedy recovery!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 05:57:13 am »
Laurie,

That is great news indeed!  Funny you mention the bathroom situation, that is one of my biggest concerns.  Silly, I know.

Keep us informed on your recovery.

- Dennis

AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 06:03:44 am »
Laurie -

great to see you back!

I was one who had major nausea - and a spinning room - but I found that I made improvements daily.  Recovery takes time - sometimes it's a snail's pace - but you'll get there.

Patience is key - although sometimes it's hard to find  :)

Get plenty of rest; and please keep us updated.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Laurief

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 03:00:23 pm »
Thanks for the weight lifting and finger exercise suggestions Nani- one more thing to add to my daily routine!
AN 2 cm x 2.7 cm left side, Diagnosed 7/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 04:27:20 pm »
Laurie .....

So glad you are home and doing well.  Rest, exercise, rest, and then rest some more is the order of the week!   ;D

Thoughts and prayers for a continued uneventful recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

doctorb

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 04:35:04 pm »
All the best for a speedy recovery Laurie!

Doc