Author Topic: GK versus actual surgery ??  (Read 1491 times)

tatianne

GK versus actual surgery ??
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:55:45 pm »
GK is where Ive been leaning for quite some time...

Is anyone aware of recent statistics in regards to success rates for GK ??

My neuro reminds me that research only goes back so far and he says that is a concern for him because Im only 32...how far back does the research actually go ??

Ive been hearing a lot of re growth stories lately, is this more common with certain treatments ??

Does GK still work well for ANs that are approaching 2cm ?? (if i wait another year)...

Thanks
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

macintosh

Re: GK versus actual surgery ??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:08:45 am »
One of the best sites for info on AN treatments in general, and on GK in particular is the University of Pittsburgh:

http://www.acousticneuroma.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/index.html

They're one of the most experience places at GK. I'm going to cut out a par from a survey they did of their own patients who were between 5-10 years post-treatment:

Radiosurgery was described as a "successful" treatment by 30 of 30 patients who had undergone prior surgery and by 81 (95%) of those who had not undergone a prior resection. When asked if they would recommend the procedure to a friend or family member, 109 (95%) said yes, two said no, and four said they could not answer for another person.

If you're at 8mm now, there's no reason to think you'd be at 2cm in a year. The usual growth is 1-2 mm a year. I had LINAC radiosurgery for a 7mm a year ago, and I feel fine.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: GK versus actual surgery ??
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:33:01 am »
I would also suggest contacting the University of Virginia...(see link in my signature area)...

Remember when researching anything related to AN's...the newer the information, the better.  I'd suggest using any info thats older than 7 years as a reference, and use the newer stuff to make decisions off of.

I'd also suggest going to Barnes & Noble and getting a good medical book (with pics) on the body, brain, and nervous system.  This way when your researching, you can actually figure out what they ae talking about  :)

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!