Author Topic: Radiation and your immune system  (Read 6403 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Radiation and your immune system
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:47:17 pm »
I had GK on Oct. 21st.  For the past two weeks I have had a cold that I just can't shake.  I have been having fever, fatigue, achy feeling and a hacking cough.  I hardly ever get a cold, and I certainly haven't had one that has lasted this long.  Can radiation affect your immune system?  I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the situation.  I know that there is a "crud" going around, but two weeks seems like a long time to have this stuff going on.  I have also noticed in the past week that I have had a flare up of that weird vibrating feeling in my head.  Do you think it is possible that the vibrating feeling in the radiation doing its job on the tumor.  It is not really bothersome.....just a weird feeling.  Maybe my extended cold is not GK related......sometimes a cold is just a cold.

Thanks,

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

lori67

Re: Radiation and your immune system
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 04:43:02 pm »
Nancy,

We all had the "Cold that lasts forever" here too.  The kids and my husband all got over it on their own, but I wound up with bronchitis and needed some antibiotics.  I've spoken to a lot of others that have had whatever this thing is for a couple of weeks.  It's possible that's what you've got.  If you're running a fever though, I'd pay a visit to the doctor.  What starts out as a simple cold can turn into a sinus infection or something else that requires more than over the counter meds.

As far as your vibrating head....can't help you with that one.  Maybe you have a screw loose?  Or you lost one of your marbles?   :D  My knowledge of GK related issues is limited, so that's the best explanation I could come up with!

Feel better!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:15:04 pm »
My worst week after CK last year was about three months later, with a head cold gone overboard. I think having a zapped tumor in your head makes you more sensitive in the sinuses and ears, so a small cold gets magnified. Sometimes it felt like my head was going to pop open. So it could be that, or maybe it is the "forever cold" that Lori mentioned.

By the way, that was the week that I wrote the Christmas poem, so maybe you should try your hand at one. It might be your only chance!  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 06:11:59 pm »
I also got a terrible "cold" at around 4 months post-GK. My daughter had it first, and I obviously caught it from her. I had the worst headache of my life, and then "wonky" head, which lasted for about a week. I was so worried, I even posted a question on the forum back then. Luckily it all went away in about a week or two. I guess we are more sensitive to colds or other infections as Steve mentioned.
Nancy, take good care of yourself and I am sure all these sensations will go away once you recover.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

windy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:40:09 pm »
Nancy, I had a sinus type infection two months post GK.  Mine progressed to fever, bad headache, etc...  I went on antibiotics for 10 days.  A few days after that, I lost some of my hearing.  I then went on steriods for the hearing loss.  The week after I got off the steriods, I had the same type infection all over again!  However, you know I have a poor immune system.  But, I seldom have a sinus infection so I did feel like maybe it could have been related to the radiation.  I was on some type of drug almost the whole month of Oct!  You know I am wishing you well very soon!! 
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Nancy Drew

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:45:53 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I am 15 days and counting with the crud.  I asked the pharmacist today if radiation can affect your immune system, and he said yes.  Who knows!  I hope I'll get some answers at the docs office tomorrow.  Hopefully I didn't pick up some weird virus at the hospital where I volunteer.  I guess the fever worries me the most.  And, the vibrating in the brain feels really weird sometimes.  It doen's really concern me in a negative way.  It is really rather fascinating because it makes me wonder if it is the radiation at work.  I hope it is killing the AN...die baby die!!!  That is what I try to visualize anyway.

Steve, I am not aware of the Christmas poem.  Don't leave me hanging!  And Lori, I have a screw or two loose, and I am missing some nuts and bolts as well......well documented!!!!

Today is my two month GK birthday!  Happy GK to me!!! ;D ;D ;D

Nancy

06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 09:36:43 pm »
Nancy,

Sue revived it this year, so I guess it is okay for me to post a link: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5644.0

While wholesale radiation of your head or body could affect your immune system, I doubt the precisely focused radiation of GK would have much direct effect on it. I think it is a result of the inflammation of the tumor during the first six months, making your sinuses react very strongly to visiting cold germs. So far it is not happening to me this year, even though we are socked in by snow and ice here in Portland, and I am probably staying home for Christmas again.

As for the vibrations, I doubt there is any good science there, but I like the idea of it, so I say go with it. Jackhammer that AN!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Melissa778

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:41:26 am »
Nancy,

I had my GK on Oct. 22nd.....and a few weeks later developed a cold I could not kick, and it is now a full blown NASTY sinus infection that is causing me all sorts of strange issues.  I have two small children at home, so they are always bringing home all sorts of germs :)  Not sure that it's the GK, but my doc explained that when you are fatigued all your defenses seem to be down, so maybe if your GK caused you much fatigue it could have been a contributor?  Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Nancy Drew

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 09:20:39 pm »
Steve, I loved your Christmas poem.  You are a poet and now we know it!!!  Stay warm.  I heard they moved the North Pole to Oregon this year!!! 

Melissa, Congrats on your success with your recent GK.  Looks like I have one day up on you, but I didn't have to go through surgery so you are the trooper!!!  Sorry about the colds, etc.  Bummer!!!

Went to the doc (PCP) on Monday, and she said I probably just have a viral infection that is hanging on for awhile.  I am her only patient who has had GK so she didn't know of any connection with it affecting the immune system.  Might be a connection with fatigue and stress to cause the immune system to go nutty.  As I think back on it, my viral issues started right about the time my son was in Kuwait awaiting his deployment to Iraq.  Can't help but stress about something like that!!!  Anyway, I am taking it as easy as I can and hanging on to the thought that I will be up and going at full speed soon.  My son sent me an email gift certificate for a massage for Christmas............what a sweetie.  That should get some of the aches and pains out of this old body!!!

Happy Holidays to all of you ANer and may 2009 be a year of healing, wellness and peace.

Nancy

06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 02:00:22 am »
Nancy, I hope you are feeling better soon.  My aunt has had the "crud" for about 2 weeks now.  She is  a lot better, but still hacking and I'm sure she will have that cough for another month.  It went right to her chest.  Yuck.  So I know there is some rotten stuff going around now.  The good thing about being snowed in for a week, is that we didn't get out and about at all.  So, maybe the crud will pass us by.....I hope.

Hang in there!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

windy

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 01:58:12 pm »
Cheri, I have pernicious anemia.  I will have to have B-12 injections throughout my lifetime.  It is an autoimmune problem. My low level B-12 issues started in my late 30's.  I am now in my latter 40's.  They can find through bloodwork testing if it is an immune issue.  In my particular case, it was an immune issue.  I, too, have had stomach issues for years.  My folic acid levels have been low for years, even back to my childhood.  My immune issues really started to escalate in my late 30's.

I hope you feel better.  I hope you get some help for your folic acid levels and stomach!

* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Nancy Drew

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 04:58:30 pm »
Hi!

Interesting stuff you guys write about the immune system and folic acid.  I am happy to say that my viral infection is out the door, but it sure did a number on me.  Then I fell down the stairs and got a nice bruise and pulled a muscle in my back.  I have fallen down the stairs three times lately.  Hopefully it is not a balance issue.  The last fall was the one that got me though!  Wood stairs in the house are a health hazzard.....ouch!!!

Here's to a healthy 2009.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 07:48:54 pm »
Hi all,

Not sure if the radiotherapy affects the immune system but it wouldn't help it.

As for the rotten colds- I kinow what it is. It's the Aussie flu. I've had it, so has my wife and its a shocker. i needed 2 doses of antibiotics and my wife is on her third. It affects the lungs, gives you a nasty cough and lingers in the head for ages. Apparantly it's travelling around the world right now.Just got to grin and put up with it. Well maybe gin instead of grin (lol)

Aussies are very sharing people you see.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 08:46:16 pm »
Laz, don't be so generous!   ;D  Oh my gosh, you aren't kidding! 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1102485/Killer-Australian-flu-strain-set-spread-UK-experts-warn.html

Sue in Vancouver, USA
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:50:57 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nancy Drew

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:32:23 pm »
OK, so now I woke up this morning with what I think is the flu.  Aussie or not, it's just another thing to feel miserable about.  I guess I should have gotten that flu shot.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs