Author Topic: Hair change  (Read 2454 times)

mema

Hair change
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:11:04 am »
Just read Sues topic on bald spot.  Since my radiation my hair is so frizzy.  I actually can only wear it up in a bun.  It also does'nt hold my hair dye.  After two washings my hair dye is out.  I have tried so many hair products and nothing seems to work.  Just wondering did anyone else have hair changes.                                                                                                                                                   

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Hair change
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:01:17 am »
Hi mema,

Not only am I an AN patient, I am also a cosmetologist (albeit, semi-retired.... gawd, too young for retirement!  :o ) as well.

Like you, my hair tends to frizz and it's down below my waist.  Immediately post-CK, I saw changes to the texture of my hair (as well as a mini-bald spot on my front hairline from the CK beam target).  Like you, I have tried to moisturize (not over-moisturize as it can cause enhanced frizziness) and to use styling products such as serums and leave in conditioners. Now that the heat is on here, the dryness of the apartment, as well as my office, takes a true toll on it as well.

Typically, in the case of hair dye not taking... usually the cuticle layer of the hair shaft may be laying flat against the hair shaft.  Having not seen your hair, not knowing full meds you are on, if your water is "hard",  the hair dye product in use, etc... these are things that could potentially prevent hair dye from taking as well as it could.  There are tricks of the trade that hair stylists can do to help open up the cuticle layer of the hair shaft and you would need to work this with your hairdresser.  Please consult with your hair dresser to see if she is familiar with the tricks of the trade to help the cause of what I just noted... it may help. On the flip side... gray hair can be rather distinguish looking, so don't rule out au naturale :)

huggles to you and those stubborn hair shafts! :D
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:25:44 pm »
So Phyl, a question for you.  One of the hairdressers at the place that does my hair said that I probably won't grow my hair back!  I said, "Oh, no don't tell me that! Give me hope."  Why wouldn't my hair grow back?  Please tell me she's wrong!! Lie to me, if you have too. ;D ;D ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:42:52 pm »
*contemplates lying to Sue... but respects her too much, so decides that truth is best....*  :-*

Ok, here goes.... as we know, hair grows out of the follicle, where the hair root resides.  As we know, the hair is "fed" by the body's blood supply.  Now, many things can affect the hair's growth.  As we know, chemical changes in the system/blood stream will affect the hair (ie: meds, nicotine, hormone change due to pregnancy, etc), since it's the blood flow that supplies the hair's nutrients and such.  Now, if the hair root is killed by something, such as a surface direct hit of radiation, then, if the hair root is gone, hair regrowth is unlikely.  We do know that in the summer, our hair tends to grow faster as heat helps to stimulate the blood flow to the hair.  So, try this.... I do it all the time.  Gently massage the area that you want to stimulate hair growth.  You can sit and watch tv or such and just lightly massage the area... maybe 5-10 minutes.... no particular times per day.  Also, try doing a deep conditioning treatment at home, with a plastic bag over the conditioned hair (to help keep the conditioner from "drying out") and wrap a towel/turban over the head. That will help to keep the body heat in to help stimulate the blood flow as well (esp. in the cold/winter months).

I can't guarantee anything but these are remedies that have been shared over time. I think the key word you note by your hairdresser is "probably" as it may work for some and may not for others. If you note if your hair tends to typically grow fast (hair on average grows approx 1/2 inch/month... we've measured mine to grow faster at almost 1 inch per month), and with heat/massage... you may see a difference.  I know you had GK and since the beam was deep target shot and not really surface level.... I am hopeful that it will grow back. Like you, I'm also running into it lately (esp. since you and I had our treatments just days apart) but do see the "peach fuzz" of new growth on me... and hoping you will as well.

Ok, cosmetology 101 class pop quiz will be later today :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 01:56:05 pm »
THANKS, PHY!

I think.   Now see, I learned something.  I was thinking along the lines of chemotherapy, and that hair grows back...but DIFFERENT reasons that the hair went away, so that affects if it will come back or not. Right?  Now I didn't know that maybe the hair root is damaged.  Bummer.  I shall try to remember to massage me poor head and hope for the best. 

Ahhh, the adventures we have had.  It's a crazy world, huh? 

Sue out in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

mema

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
Thanks Phyl,                                                                                                                                                                             

I'll check with my hairdresser about that.  I would love to go natural but my hair grows so so slow, Probably take about 20 years.  Can I dye my hair grey?                                                                                                                                                                     

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.