Author Topic: Philadelphia Cyberknife?  (Read 3156 times)

Peggy

Philadelphia Cyberknife?
« on: October 15, 2007, 03:58:30 pm »
I'm still checking out all my options, I found online Philadelphia Cyberknife in havertown PA, anyone familiar with this place?  I went to Jefferson , suggested FSR, still tryig to find out what machine they have, anyone know?  I think it might be the Novalis, from what I'm reading thats not such a good choice, am I right ?

any help I'm greatful for,

thanks
peg

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Philadelphia Cyberknife?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 08:48:11 am »
Hi Peg

Did you try the Cyberknife Patient Support forum (http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/)?  I would also ask the Phili center for patient references as they should have a list of those that have had CK in their center who would be willing to discuss their CK treatments.  I have asked my dr's in the past for patient references and they have been accommodating in sharing with me those willing to talk.

Hope this helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:18:47 pm »
Want some links?

I think the Philadelphia Cyberknife in Havertown is new, but they have a web site up:
http://www.pennsylvaniacyberknife.com/

Their medical director is Luther W. Brady, M.D., a well known oncologist with an impressive bio, he is among other things on the board of the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health:
http://www.fnih.org/aboutus/bradybio.shtml

Dr. Medbery on the Cyberknife forum gets asked all the time about whether new CK facilities are okay, and his standard reply is that *any* CK facility can do a good job treating an AN, provided they have people with previous experience in radiation treatment and training in CK.

Can't hurt to give them a call at (610) 446-6850, or go to their web site and post an email to them.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:11:00 am »
There are some others that check in from time to time that had radiation at Jeff and were happy with their results. I see Dr. Andrews name on follow up literature posted on the web. I would definitely find out which machine they are currently using and research. The thought that runs through my mind is why get 28 treatments when you could get the same results (if not better) with three. Three fractionations with newer CK vs. twenty eight with the older Novalis/BrainLab. 

mema

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 03:24:07 pm »
The Novalis hasn't been around that long.  I had 28 treatments in 2005 and I think at that time the machine was around for only about 3 years.  The pro-beam is the older machine I think.

mema

6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

rjbarker

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 11:43:58 am »
Hi,
   On a tour of the Jefferson Univ center this summer, Dr James Evans showed us the newest Novalis machine now in use there. Jeff also has Gamma Knife under the direction of Dr David Andrews. For some reason Jeff seems to be touting the Novalis with its fractionation protocal, which always seems strange to me, except I think there's the idea hearing preservation is better, which remains to be seen. Of couse, having had successful GK back in 1991, I'm probably a bit inclined to favor single-session treatment with a dedicated machine long in use and with a great record.

d***