Author Topic: My Surgery updates  (Read 20066 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: My Surgery updates
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:00 am »
Yeah, seriously, Keri, you are making me feel like a real slouch.
NancyMc
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

allegro17

« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2009, 09:34:51 am »
Thanks for all of the encouragement :)  Keri - amazing job on running ANOTHER half!!!
I woke up today feeling a bit better but the dizziness is baack in full effect! My spirits are imrpoving a bit though :)  I know it is only 6 days post op.  I need to find a way to stretch some - these muscle aches are spreading down my legs now and thats definitely not good!  I am doing ok on just tylenol now which is a big improvement over the pain killer that I had been on, and I have already gone for a walk around the block and a HALF today :)

Laura

moe

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2009, 09:56:03 am »
Dear Laura,
I'd say you are doing pretty darn well! Remember, baby steps...Before you know it, it will be a distant memory....
Just takes time. I enjoyed books/CD/nature music on CD or tape when I was recuperating.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2009, 10:42:18 am »
Laura~
I think it would be OK to do some basic stretching.  Can you take a bath and stretch in there when you are all warm & relaxed anyway??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2009, 02:56:55 pm »
Hi Laura,
Good for you and your 1 1/2 block walk! I think I did a very slow walk holding onto a stick at about 1 week post op - I called it 'training.'  I hope your dizziness subsides soon. I didn't seem to have any at all post op - I have more now! How long will you be in NY?  It was so nice for all of us to 'meet' and talk to you mom on the forum. Plus, it was helpful to check the status site. That was a great idea.

Patrick - thanks for the congrats on the half! And happy late birthday. I'm right behind you - will be 49 in October.
Nancy - you're no slouch!!!    how are you doing these days?

OK, for this half marathon I just did I had to drive an hour and a half away on the highway (don't like highway driving in general). Well, I never would have done it if I hadn't done all that driving up in MA. And, true to form, I accidently got lost and went into Pennsylvania (only i seem to get lost with GPS) but still made it to the race in time. It was me (age 48) and maybe a handful of other middle agers and a bunch of college students and other 'youngins'. So I came in about 10th to last place! But I thought 'hey, maybe for ONCE, there's hardly any other 40+ aged people running; maybe I'll place 3rd or something in my age group.' Well, my age group was 26 - 49. What a range! Needless to say, I didn't place, but I got my finishers medal, and that's all that matters!

Laura, don't push yourself to much (pleeease), and rest, rest, rest, but I KNOW you will be doing half's, marathons, etc sooner than you think.

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2009, 04:07:57 pm »
Laura,
I'm glad you're off the strong stuff.  All the meds can really take a toll on your systems.  Are you walking free of assistance?  Just keep keepin' on, and you'll make progress.
Keri,
Thanks for asking.  I'm doing fine.  I don't use eye drops or gel, mostly because I'm lazy about any kind of self care.  I've been doing a lot of gardening, spreading loam and bark mulch, and hoping the work will shed the ten pounds necessary to get into my bathing suit.  My face may be improving somewhat.  I'll take a comparative photo one day soon.  It will be four weeks on Wednesday.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2009, 09:17:32 pm »
Hi Laura,

It sure sounds to me like you're making great progress. I'm sure for someone as active as you its tough but this will be a dim memory before long. BTW...I like Brutus as a name. My wife named mine Norbert... ;D

Best,
Bob
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

allegro17

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2009, 06:39:29 am »
I have to give credit for "brutus" to my friend melissa, but as soon as we said it, we knew that was the name!  RIP, Brutus :)

I am walking free of assistance, yes.  Still dizzy.  How long until I can expect this to go away?!!  It is so crazy to me how no one's experience is like another's with this.

Today is one - week post-op :)

Keri

« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2009, 10:23:02 am »
Happy one week anniversary!

Are you dizzy sitting /standing and walking or does it subside a bit with movement?

I thought mine was attributed to my pain meds as well, but still there off and on even after tossing the Percocet. Usually sitting I'm ok, walking after sitting I may stagger sometimes a bit (also depending on the environment I'm in), running or walking seems to make it go away (once i get going).

How will you do follow up doctor visits?

Have a great day!
Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2009, 01:03:41 pm »
Hi Laura!

Grats on the 1 week anniversary! :)  Sounds like you are doing great to me!  Believe it or not, I still have issues and I'm more than 8 weeks post op.  My scar has not really healed yet.  I still get some oozing in one spot, and hair has refused to grow there!

I don't get to post as much as I used to since starting work, but know that I will continue to pray for your recovery!
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

moe

« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2009, 03:05:34 pm »
Hi Laura,
Everyone has different post op courses, but I would say you have to give yourself 6 weeks minimum for healing/balance issues/dizziness to correct itself.
You had brain surgery! Some are fortunate and go right back to what they were doing.
Others have to be a little patient. But you are doing great for one week post op!
Hang in there, baby steps, keep looking forward (literally and figuratively)!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2009, 03:08:43 pm »
wellness wishes, Laura!  "Day by day, inch by inch....".   Pls give mom my best and thank you's to her for the updates.  And as for you, counting on seeing you at the next yr's marathon. Should I hold a dumplin for ya? :)

Hang in there! Continued wellness!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keri

« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2009, 09:20:31 pm »
Hi Laura,
Just went to your 'status' site to see how you're doing. Read that you watched a movie. I hope it was a relaxing, peaceful movie. I think about 2 weeks post op I decided to watch the 3rd "Bourne" movie. Wow - watching action and all those chase scenes - does not go well with recent brain surgery! I think I had a headache the whole next day.

Glad you're getting out and around some.

Keri
My head feels weird!!

allegro17

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2009, 03:38:43 pm »
Hi everyone :)

Just wanted to check in since it's been a few days!  Believe it or not, I walked a total of almost 3 whole miles yesterday!  (Broken up into smaller bits, of course).  Today I have been feeling lazy and just going with it.

The dizziness is improving...somewhat.  I don't feel anything close to normal but I know I am much better today than I was 4 days ago.  That's enough to keep me satisfied, for now at least! And, I can tell that my energy level is coming up a bit again, which is great.  I am contemplating an overnight adenture to my friend's apartment in NYC sometime early next week :)

I am already planning on Boston for next year - hopefully we can coordinate the brunch!!!

Laura 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2009, 03:56:37 pm »
Laura ~

It's great to learn that you're seeing some satisfying improvements as time goes on.  Walking 3 miles is quite an accomplishment!  I think you're going to be fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.