Author Topic: Time Heals  (Read 3373 times)

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
Time Heals
« on: December 29, 2006, 03:31:39 pm »
Yes, 2006 was a roller coaster ride with my AN issue, but my wife and I were also blessed with our 2nd grandaughter. As they say, "Look for the silver lining". It's been four months now. Shortly after surgery, I had all of the problems that are common to everyone and  I had plenty of self pity parties; however, I know I'm very fortunate. As of today, You can't look at me and know what I've been through. The scar is amlost completly covered and I have no facial issues. My balance issues have made a major improvements the past few weeks. A few weeks ago I learned I have a few low tones and one high tone in the AN ear. By all standards, I'm still SSD, but I'm encouraged. My doctor says it's still too early to consider any type of hearing aide, so I'll hang in there another six months. I feel good putting these feelings into words.
For those of you out there considering surgery, keep in mind there are a lot of success stories like mine. I'm moving on with my life. My wife and I are celebrating our 34th anniversay on a 2 week cruise in February, She's also accompanying me on 2 week busiiness trip to China in April and then on to a few trade shows in May and November. I feel good and sometime this weekend I'm going throw my first bowling ball since this happened. The boys on my team keep asking when I'm coming back; why not now. Life is good.

Happy 2007 Everyone,
Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

lmurray69

Re: Time Heals
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:59:56 pm »
Terry, I am so glad for you. I hope that soon all this will be a dream and you too can go back to football or anything that you desire.. hopes and prayers takes us everywhere.. Linda
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 05:19:10 pm »
Terry:

Congratulations! 

As another AN patient who had a successful surgery and excellent recovery, I applaud your positive outlook and appreciation for coming through the 'AN experience' relatively whole, if not exactly the same. 

Now, go bowl a few frames for us.  :)

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 06:53:36 pm »
 ;)

Terry:

A second grandaughter!  (oh, bowling....too)  That is fabulous the trips planned, that you can do that.  It is nice to hear success stories.  All paws crossed in this house that your enjoy your first bowling out.

Thank you for letting us know and hear a happy story on the way out this year.....

Congratulations,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

lmurray69

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 07:29:32 pm »
Sorry Terri, I thought you said football, bowling is great too sorry for the mistake..rock on...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 08:26:01 pm »
Terry.

Thank you so very much for sharing that... and congratulations on your successes, your family's growth and the travels you have upcoming (VERY jealous here!)

To me... regardless of our situations... regardless of our treatment choices (even if not of choice).... regardless of outcomes.... we are all success stories in our own right!  I commend you and everyone here for the drive, the diligence to obtain what is best for each and every one of us... for strength, courage and resolve as we call go through this journey together.

A very happy HEALTHY new year to you all!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 07:12:46 am »
Hi Terry:

Happy New Year.

Congrats on such a good outcome.  On with life. 

Did you go bowling yet?  And if so, how did it go?

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 08:05:58 am »
Kathy,
The holiday weekend was busier than I anticipated so I didn't get a chance to go bowling, but I plan to try it soon.

Thank you to everyone who replied; I appreciate it. I thought I should share my story with the those who are just beginning their AN journey. I know how I felt and looking back, I must admit; it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it just took time and patience.

Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

Louzilla

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 01:17:15 pm »
Hi Terry,

Congratulations on your recovery.  It really helped me to read about positive outcomes before my surgery. I hope you win the beer frame when you do go bowling.

Lou
Middle Fossa - 4mm x 8mm A.N. left side.
Dr. Jackler - Stanford Med. Center 12/06/06

Louzilla

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 01:24:24 pm »
Hi Terry,

Congratulations on your recovery.  It really helped me to read about positive outcomes before my surgery. I hope you win the first beer frame when you do go bowling.

Lou
Middle Fossa - 4mm x 8mm A.N. left side.
Dr. Jackler - Stanford Med. Center 12/06/06

Lisa B

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 01:38:59 pm »
Terri,
Happy New Year,
Thank you again for a positive view...I will look to all the positive sides of things in this new year.  I haven't yet decided when to take care of my AN removel but your messege helps some of us realize with positive thinking that things can get back to normal. 
Lisa B
Wait and watch - 1ccx6mmx6mm - Right Side
Diagnosed August '06