Author Topic: What is ListServ?  (Read 6163 times)

v357139

What is ListServ?
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:16:16 pm »
I have seen people use the term listserv.  Is that a way to research doctors and outcomes.  What is the best way to research doctors and outcomes from this site?  I have been doing a search by doctor name. Is there some other way like listserv?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: What is ListServ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »
Hi ~

I don't believe that ListServe is what you need.

To utilize the ANA website in a physician search, go to our home page http://www.anausa.org/.  At the top of that page click on 'Medical Resources'.  You'll get a drop-down list.  Click on the second line in that list - 'Physicians Directory'.  A list of physicians organized by their last name initial or by state (your choice) will be shown. 

Please note the caveat on that page.  These physicians, although experienced with AN patients (surgery and/or radiation) are not recommended or endorsed by the ANA and they have paid a fee to be listed.  It remains the patients responsibility to vet an individual physician on the list. 

I hope this helps in your search.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

v357139

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:51:00 pm »
What I am looking for are patient outcomes with particular doctors.  Or lists of patients with the doctors they used, and their outcomes.  Is there anything like that?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:52:40 pm »
Hi

"Listserv" is an old name for the anausa.org( ANA ) email support group from 1995 until 2005.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:48:01 am »
No there is no list as such.     Drs will not give you patient names and outcomes either.        An AN varies with each patient and the location, size and what damage it has or hasn't done to nerves so there is not a good comparison.         You might get told by a dr you see that he has done a certain no of patients with facial neuroma or in the IAC or touching the brainstem, etc.    You might not either.       There is word of mouth from people about certain drs if they do a large no of them.        The list of drs here even does not contain all who do a large no of them.           I know all makes it hard to choose.        How ones body handles the AN and if removed, what compensation the brain has already done will make a difference in ones outcome.     Even ones age, personality,general health and level of usual activity can play some role in how you might do past treatment.                 One can do surgery, radiation, or watch and wait and still wonder if maybe they should have gone to a different dr or did it different and maybe things might have turned out different.
                I wish you well in how it goes for you!                         Cheryl R   
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

robinb

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:19:53 am »
The best list I found was the WTT (willing to talk) list that ANA provides. This list is a compilation of people that have volunteered to be available. It includes their name/email and/or phone, size of tumor, when they had treatment or in watch and wait, and their treatment choice. These folks were very forthcoming with their time and were of great help to me as I did my research.

I chose GK nearly 6 mos ago and you can see my journal in Radiation section. Please also feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk.

Good Luck to you.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

jsanders1379

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:00:40 am »
There is a website:
http://listserv.acor.org/
I think it is mainly a listing of all the cancer -related web-based support groups...
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

v357139

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 11:30:15 am »
The best list I found was the WTT (willing to talk) list that ANA provides. This list is a compilation of people that have volunteered to be available. It includes their name/email and/or phone, size of tumor, when they had treatment or in watch and wait, and their treatment choice. These folks were very forthcoming with their time and were of great help to me as I did my research.

I chose GK nearly 6 mos ago and you can see my journal in Radiation section. Please also feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk.

Good Luck to you.

Where can I get the Willing to Talk List you mention?

robinb

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 11:58:29 am »
When you join ANA, they will send it to you along with other info. I have sent in my details to be added to the list, but I think they take a while to update it.
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

robinb

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:59:41 am »
You can also probably call them to get expedited. All the contact details are on the main ANAUSA.ORG website,
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 04:52:24 am »
Hi all,

The ANA Willing-To-Talk list is free to everyone that contacts the ANA (you can phone or email them... details on their homepage: www.anausa.org).  It is a list of volunteers (myself, included) that offer phone/email time to speak, peer-to-peer, to those seeking information about our journeys. Please note that we are not to advise of medical treatments and only share our experiences as it may pertain to yours. 

I hope that helps.  We are here to help.
Phyl

When you join ANA, they will send it to you along with other info. I have sent in my details to be added to the list, but I think they take a while to update it.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

v357139

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 06:52:19 pm »
Yes now I remember they sent me one for my area.  I think what I was looking for, which was a list of doctors/patients/outcomes, does not really exist.