Author Topic: Finally, some headache relief!  (Read 4844 times)

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
Finally, some headache relief!
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:57:45 am »
Well, I'm almost two months post-op now and things are starting to improve. My chief complaint, following surgery, was headaches on the surgery side. I tried a variety of techniques to keep the headaches at bay and nothing seemed to work. Mine were always at night, so I assumed they had to do with the pressure around the surgery site. The side of my head would swell up some times, so I'd use ice occasionally. These headaches almost always woke me up at night. I would take 1-2 Vicodin or Tylenol depending on the severity. This went on every day post-op until recently.

I'm happy to say the headaches are now starting to be less frequent and not as severe. I only had three this week, which is really great! My head isn't as numb anymore around the surgery site, so these are all good signs. I have posted a few post-op problems I was having in earlier threads. And as these problems self-correct or improve, I want to make sure I update these changes. Positive updates are very important for all of us to read.

I've read quite a few posts about headaches and was very concerned when I started having them. And as many ANers have posted, not everyone ends up with headaches after treatment. I was unfortunate to have them, but now it looks as though they are going away. What a relief! I wish I could say that about my tinnitus :( Maybe one day that will also be a thing of the past.

Improving each day!

Dave
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Finally, some headache relief!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:30:56 am »
Hey Dave .....

So glad the headaches are getting lesser and fewer!!  We all rejoice with you on that!

I never experienced the post-surgical headaches following my AN surgeries, but did following the trigeminal surgery (which was first in the string) so I can identify.

As for the tinnitus ..... sure hoping the best for you, but mine has never stopped.  However, I have to be realistic and know that a large number of people in the world suffer from tinnitus who have never had an AN.

Best thoughts for a continuing good progress on your recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

staypoz

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:44:06 am »
Dave, that is great news!!  As you said, not everyone experiences headaches post-treatment, and for some people, they resolve sooner rather than later. 

Best wishes for more headache free days!

staypoz

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 12:15:12 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for the update on your headaches and glad to hear they are lessening.  When I read that someone has a complication, it's always nice when they post an update.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:51:29 pm »
Dave ~

Thanks for the positive update.  I'm pleased to learn that your headaches are finally subsiding.  I'm not a doctor but I suspect they were associated with the healing process at the incision site.  Whatever the reason, I appreciate you making the effort to post the news and your realization that positive updates need to be shared. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LizAN

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:43:56 pm »
Glad things are improving Dave! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz