Author Topic: Debbi Bifulco Update  (Read 113689 times)

kimberly

Re: Debbi Bifulco Update
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2008, 09:40:47 am »
Debbi, I wish you a speedy recovery , it sounds like you have a great supportive husband who will help you through the healing process.  

6 days and counting for me - pooter you and i are having surgery the same day. :)
 I wanted to share a poem a friend wrote for me that some of you might find amusing.  

so the other day i heard a roo-muh
that  my friend kimberly has a too-muh
its not as bad as it may sound
but it's a good thing its been found

her condition is called "acoustic neuroma"
(i know that cuz i have a diploma)
she's having surgery to have it removed
if the doctors mess up they will be sued!

with the surgery there are some risks involved
but through it kim's problems will be solved
she may develop some new problems however
would we make fun of her??? nooooo not us! never!

still i feel that it might be fun
(and i dont think im the only one)
to find some humor in this situation
and share it with kim's friends and relations

so without any further adieu,
it is my pleasure to present to you
a description of what might come to be
if things don' go the way we'd like to see

since kim may not be able to hear very well
she may not hear drums, a guitar or bell
after they remove the acoustic neuroma
kim may not  be jammin to "my sherona"

the doctor will remove kim's balance nerve
so when she walks she might weave and swerve
so before you accuse kim of being a drunk
remember she's missing some important nerve junk

the surgery could cause partial paralysis of the face
mouth and eye dryness, and disturbance of taste
so if it looks like she's not enjoying your casserole
you'd better think twice before you call her an a**h*le

but now lets turn to the positive side
in this are many good things to find
kim's nose isnt affected by acoustic neuroma
from a mile away, she can sniff out any aroma

and lets face it, its not like kim's in a coma
this is a tumor, but its not melanoma!
she has lots of friends and people who care too
she has my support and she has help from you

kim, i hope that your spirits are lifted
i hope that dr. larouere is gifted
im sure the surgery will be a success
and that you'll be back after a quick rest

regardless of what happens on the operating table
you'll always be awesome , cool and able
if your face won't move and you're deaf in one ear,
we'll always be there for you for the rest of your years!!

i wish all of you with upcoming surgeries the best outcomes possible,

kimberly

lori67

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2008, 10:13:01 am »
Kimberly -

that is an awesome poem!  Sounds like you have some good - and talented - friends in your corner!  And a sense of humor always helps too!

We'll be thinking of you and Pooter and all the rest!  Good luck to all!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2008, 10:23:07 am »
FANTASTIC poem, kimberly!  Next week, we'll be bonded for life by way of surgery date!  How special is that?  ;)

Thanks for the thoughts, Lori.

Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Melissa778

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2008, 01:05:29 pm »
Debbi has kicked off the month of May with success.....looks as if there a quite a few of us to follow in the coming weeks. 

For those who have treatments/surgery in the coming weeks, is anyone getting as nervous as I am?  I feel I am unberable to be around because I am so on edge and worried.  I'm not sleeping well and I start the day off by apologizing to my family for any witchiness that will ensue throughout the day.  I feel there is so much to do before hand also.  Making sure the cupboards are stocked for the kdidies and husband, making sure all laundry is caught up, all bills are in order, completing projects at work, the list could go on, and on.......I'm stressed!  I know I need to take a step back and breath....but I feel like I don't have time to even do that.....Pre-Op appt is Monday.....is coming up so quickly, I'm not as prepared as I thought I would be. 

Hearing that Debbi has done so well is a great encouragement though.

And can someone please explain the puirate socks to me?  I've been posting on here since Feb and still don't know what the whole pirate sock thing is all about  :D

Love the poem Kim

Melissa....knees shaking, stomach rolling.......12 days and counting
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2008, 01:13:55 pm »
kim, I have to say, you have some pretty talented friends!  That is great!

Melissa, ok... the his-tory of the piratitude and such.... pour yourself your favorite beverage, kick back, prop your feet and enjoy the "Good Morning" thread, where it all began (pg 1-4 gives the good insight... first we were a regular cruise ship... until our fearless Capt'n Deb came along to pillage and plunder):

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=929.0

Ok, so in 12 days, you'll be like Debbi, laying there with a fuzzy haze (hey Debbi, enjoy the haze now while you can!), wondering how it all happened so quick, realizing that you are (to be) a postie...... and we're gonna be cheering you on as well!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

WAB

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2008, 01:26:02 pm »
Willie here…2:45pm 5/2 (Friday)

Well, it’s post Ethel-ectomy +1.5 days and Deb’s progress continues to be outstanding.  She’s received her official NYU frequent traveler card as she’s on her 3rd different room as of this morning.  It appears she’s progressing so well, they’ve decided to disconnect all lines & tubes and now placed her in a semi-private room without any monitoring devices.  She’s starting to eat solid food again and is able to get up and walk to the bathroom, and will be attempting a walk through the hallway in a matter of minutes, albeit with some help.  My guess is she doesn’t really need the help, but she’s a giver and trying to help us feel useful.  OK, maybe not useful as much as provide a soft landing should she suddenly take a header.

Last night, Debbi shared her hospital bed with me and settled in to watch a little TV.  About 15 minutes into it, she noticed that the bed was getting very wet.  Now, I know our incontinent dog was about 60 miles away, so we quickly searched for the source to find that the little pee tube had decoupled and provided a very colorful cascading waterfall.  It would have really looked cool if somehow we could have affixed a gargoyle to the end, but we took comfort in knowing that they were out scaring little children.

Dr. G. stopped by today and echoed what we knew – she’s making great progress and could possibly go home tomorrow.  In fact, they’ve already removed her belly dressing and plan on taking off the head dressing (hat) tomorrow.  Belly dressing you say?  Yep, while she was here, she decided to have some liposuction – not that she needed it.  Actually, it seems that they use the belly fat to fill the void left behind.  I brought some GE Tub & Bath silicone joint filler, but it only had a warranty of 20 years; whereas not unlike butt fat, belly fat appears to last forever.

Debbi remains in great spirits and the numerous calls, visits and posts continue to be an inspiration to all of us. 

Willie

lori67

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2008, 01:29:15 pm »
Melissa - try not to stress out too much.  I did the same thing before my surgery - trying to make sure everyone else would be okay in my absence.  You know what?  They manage.  They might walk around in wrinkled t-shirts for a few days and they might have cereal for lunch, but in the big picture - it's not as big a deal as we tend to think it is.

I warned my daughter's preschool teacher that I'd be in the hospital, so if she showed up to school looking like PeeWee Herman after a rough night, it wasn't my fault.  I warned anyone that might stop by the house that I'd cleaned it before I left and I had no control over what it looked like after I closed the door behind me.  I figured that would at least save me from feeling like a lunatic that couldn't even dress my kids or clean my house.  I do think paying the bills before you go is a good idea.  I know if I hadn't, we probably wouldn't have had running water or electricity when I came home because I don't even think my husband remembers how to pay bills.

Take some time to enjoy yourself and your family.  The other stuff will get done.  Husbands are smarter than they look sometimes!   :D  Sometimes....

Don't worry, you will be another May success story!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

lori67

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2008, 01:32:57 pm »
Willie --That Debbi's a trooper!  Good for her for recovering so well!  I knew she would.

I'm glad to see you clearly have a good sense of humor.  I know that's got to be helpful to her!  I got the complimentary liposuction too, but I wish they had taken more....You can tell Debbi that she's now officially a "fat-head".  That's a compliment in this case...

Lori

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »
ya know, although many surgical folks get "liposuction", just remember that us radio-heads can tune in, without fee, to Sirius and XM Satelite radio just by twisting our heads to one side! :D

thanks Willie for the update! Fab news! Now... as for the tubes.... and "waterfalls"... um....ew.... TMI! TMI!

(HI DEBBI!!!!)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jtd71465

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2008, 01:42:11 pm »
Lori-

Thanks for the compliment....I think.

Husband Joe
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

lori67

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2008, 01:51:21 pm »
I figured a few husbands would comment about that!!   ;)  See, you have a good sense of humor too!!  Now THAT'S a compliment!   ;D

Lori

cmp

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2008, 03:46:28 pm »
So glad to hear Debbie is doing well! I am very impressed that so soon after surgery, she was up for watching TV! It sounds like you are being a terrific support to her, Willie.

Kimberly--your friend's poem is wonderful! Gotta love that toom-uh/room-uh rhyme...
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2008, 04:52:28 pm »
Lori,

Its really amazing what husband can do when they have too. Folding laundry is one thing Louie cannot do!  I  guess its because his hands are too big.  I have given him many lessons but he still can't do it.   To Louie's defence he makes a deadly pizza.  He had a pizzeria for 17 yrs so I guess with all of his experience and being from Naples........yummy!!

Sounds like Debbi's hubby is up to any challenge.  What great news to know she's recovery so well.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

calimama

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2008, 07:07:55 pm »
Debbi,
You are setting the bar pretty high for those who are follow! Let us know all your secrets when you are up to it.
Best wishes,
Trish 
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

sgerrard

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2008, 07:18:13 pm »
Another opportunity for a multiple reply - so many posts to keep up with!

Kimberly and Pooter, best wishes in advance for next week. Having the poem puts good karma in your corner, so you should do great!

Phyl, I must take second place in the hat contest, your Cyber Woman mask leaves mine in the dust, plus you have onion bag / fish scale / Deep Space 9 facial markings that I simply can't match. I humbly bow to your obvious superiority.

I have said before that I learn the darnedest things on this forum. Today's lesson includes a tip from Lori that you aren't supposed to eat cereal for lunch - apparently it is only good for breakfast and dinner. And from Anne Marie, I learn that I can get out of folding up laundry by claiming that my hands are too big. Good to know, filed away for future reference.

Oh yes, I suppose I should say something to Willie and Debbi, since it is (or was) their thread. Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that Debbi is doing so well, and Willie, you post like you've been doing this for years, where have you been hiding?

And Melissa, you have two weeks yet, so just chill.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.