Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1935 times)

paleopurls

• paleo purls
Hello!
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:25 am »
Hello everyone! I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. The pertinent info is in my signature, but I'll recap anyway.

A little over a year ago I suddenly lost hearing in my right ear. Two visits to my primary, a CT scan, and an MRI later, I was diagnosed with a probable AN 7mm x 7mm x 5mm on the right side. I had translab almost 3 weeks ago (5/19/11) and am currently recovering at home.

I had surgery at the University of Minnesota Medical Center by Dr. Samuel Levine and Dr. Stephen Haines. Been impressed so far! They got the whole thing out and preserved my facial nerve.

Pre-surgery symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss, very slight balance issues
Post-surgery: hearing loss, balance issues, maybe some eye issues, numbness above right ear - hoping that everything but the hearing loss will resolve as I recover.

I've written a lot about my experience, particularly post-surgery at my blog - http://paleopurls.blogspot.com - in hopes that it helps other people diagnosed with an AN. Click on the "acoustic neuroma" tag for relevant posts, otherwise you'll have to sift through a lot of knitting-related writing. ;)

It's great to know there's a community of folks out there who have had a similar experience; a place to go for support as I recover! Thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know everyone. :)
7mmx7mmx5mm right side AN
Translab 5/19/11 at UMN Levine/Haines

I blog: paleo purls

Kaybo

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:20:09 am »
Hello paleopurls and WELCOME to our little corner of the world - the place where you really don't WANT to be, but if you have/had an AN, it is a GREAT group of people!!

Feel free to make yourself at home and ask anything you want...that's what we are here for!  Sounds like you are doing great already!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:30:08 pm »
Hi paleopurls and welcome to this forum .....

I had translab surgery 8 days before you did so we are following a similar recovery path.  It sounds like you are doing well ..... that's great.

Stick around ..... great group of new friends here.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:54:49 pm »
Hi, Emily - and welcome. 

I read your blog (the acoustic neuroma stuff, mostly) and I'm pleased to learn that you had a successful surgery and are experiencing a good (if not always 'perfect') recovery.  Your interest in paleontology is intriguing and I hope that you can pursue it and eventually find employment in a museum, as you desire.  I trust that you've applied to museums for positions that don't require specific degrees or direct paleontology-related experience but that would benefit from an employee with your passion for the field.

As has been previously stated (by Kay and Clarice) you are certainly welcome here and we hope you'll stay connected with the ANA discussion forum.  We have a very lively membership and the forums are active with information, advice and, most of all, support from other AN patients.  I think you'll feel 'at home' here.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mark241

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:02:19 am »
Hello and welcome! I hope you have continued speedy recovery, you as well Clarice!!
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w