Author Topic: Funny things that we THINK we hear...  (Read 46743 times)

madison

Re: Funny things that we THINK we hear...
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 05:26:59 pm »
hi- i guess we've all had our share of mishears. this past christmas i had a good one:( my husband works in the medical field)we were at a restaurant and i asked him what he wanted for christmas. he told me he could use some new scrubcaps. well i thought he said hubcaps! i asked him how was i supposed to pick them out? he said he thought i would be great at that. our conversation went on for a bit like a "whose on first" session until i asked him why he even needed them anyway when his car was brand new? lol...yeah, we do this kind of thing alot! i love reading about everyone elses oops too though.
i also hear phantom noises and when my good ear is in the pillow, i hear running water all the time. that took me awhile to get used to-i kept thinking we were having a flood from a pipe or something!
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Kaybo

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 09:48:46 pm »
that made me laugh, Madison!  Thanks for sharing!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 08:40:17 am »
I can just imagine this conversation.  Scrub caps, hub caps - sounds like the same thing to me  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 01:54:32 am »
I was recently answering a patient's call bell at work and she asked for "A cup of oysters with ice."

I was thinking "What kind of place does she think this is!  ??? We don't have any oysters." When I asked her to repeat herself, and gave myself a minute to comprehend it, I figured out it was "A cup of orange juice with ice", which made a lot more sense!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

briansmome

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 07:32:44 am »
I am always having someone yell at me across a parking lot or some such, then having to turn in circles looking for them. Then they'll try and direct me - turn this way, on your right, no, the other right... - hilarious. And once I hung up the phone on my husband because he wouldn't talk to me even though I said hello like five times. Yeah, had the phone to the wrong ear.
I have discovered an awesome side to theis one-sided deafness, though. I have a young son who was just past his frst birthday when I had surgery and has always (still to this day) been a terrible sleeper. I was constantly up and down with him during his first year. Now, if my goos ear is turned into thw pillow, then 9 times out of 10, I don't hear him. Hubby has to get him. Haha, your turn now, honey!!!
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 11:04:05 am »
I have always used my left ear to listen to the phone. My right ear is deaf from the surgery. I was lying on the couch one night on my left side and the phone rang. Just because of the position I was in, I put the phone up to my right ear, not  even remembering I was deaf. I said hello several times and nobody answered...said hello again, no answer, and as I was hanging up the phone, I told my wife there was no one on the phone. The phone rang again right away, and it was my neighbor, who I had just hung up on...and I remembered I am SSD. There is some small humor in all of this!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2010, 01:11:01 pm »
Yep, I've been known to hang up the phone when I think that no one is on the other end - only to realize that I've got the phone held up to my deaf ear.  And, I have perfected the "Swhwanomma Spin" - when someone calls out my name, followed by "over here."  Duh.

Pretty funny stuff.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

epodjn

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2010, 10:31:59 am »
My latest hearing incident was while cleaning out my mother-in-laws house. We took a break for lunch and my sister-in-law handed me a plate of food and asked me if I would like a fly swatter with that. I said no, wondering the whole time why I would want that. Then as she handed my husband a plate I heard her again, this time I heard it correctly. Would you some ICE WATER with that. I burst out laughing and then had to explain to everyone else what was so funny.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

cin605

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2010, 11:56:27 am »
I love the stories here.....i needed a good smile.Thanks!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Sefra22

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:47 pm »
The other night I went into a 7-11 to get some chewing gum for my husband. As I walk in the door, I said to the clerk, "How ya doin?"

I heard her reply, "Do you know you're exposing yourself?"
I immediately wonder if my shirt had popped open, or if my fly was unzipped. I checked both, and was fine, so I said to her "I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said", she then repeated what she had originally said which was "I'm doing fine... and yourself"?

Lisa ;D
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2010, 11:07:19 am »
A couple of nights ago, in the middle of the night while everyone was sleeping, I thought I kept hearing one of the toys say, "Caterpillar Power!  beep, beep, beep"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2010, 01:05:05 pm »
A couple of nights ago, in the middle of the night while everyone was sleeping, I thought I kept hearing one of the toys say, "Caterpillar Power!  beep, beep, beep"

Now you're scaring me!  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2010, 05:19:54 pm »
Had a good laugh yesterday when our 5 1/2 year old granddaughter asked me, "Grandma, did you ring the doorbell when I was born?"  I looked at her with a very puzzled look and I asked, "Ring the doorbell???"  At this point my husband began to chuckle and said, "No Dear, she asked 'did you think she was adorable?'"

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sgerrard

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2010, 12:11:14 am »
Well I think you are a doorbell, Clarice.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

b91221b

• 1.4 x .09 cm 5/09. CK 10/21-22-23/09.
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2010, 01:35:10 pm »
Oh, my gosh...I just caught up on these posts....and I am STILL laughing!  Thanks, guys....sure made a so-so day pretty neat!!
Barbara