Author Topic: facial pain  (Read 6882 times)

joycebaskin

facial pain
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:09:12 pm »
does everyone who is suffering with facial palsy also putting up with alot of facial pain?  Ijust can't see that this is better than before there is no quality to life.  i know i have made some bad disucussions in my life but this was the worst.  I should of left the tumor there at least my life would of been the same until the end. i have been taking alot of neurtoin but not working.  docto vists to far from each other. not getting no results.              joyce

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: facial pain
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:07:33 am »
Hi Joyce:   I have total facial paralysis, right side, never had facial pain.

I'm wondering - is it due to your muscles contracting ?  Do you have some tone/movement ?

Some people use Botox for the contractions (due to synkenesis) & it works very well.

If this is due to trigeminal nerve involvement, I was told by my neurologist this causes excruciating pain - I would suggest seeing a neurologist who specializes in this.

Hope you find some answers,     Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

satman

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 07:28:40 am »
Hi Joyce,My face has the feeling of just leaving the dentists office,numb.
It has been that way since april of last year,my jawbone has been more painful than numb.
If your feeling [zappers] a rubber band snap feeling in your face it might be your nerves trying to regenerate.
I can sense your frustration with all this and share the same feelings however,we are alive !
try to concentrate on the positives,you can walk,talk,shop drive,etc...
Together we will beat this thing.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 07:49:40 am »
Hi Joyce,

I am cheering you on. I know this must be hard. I only have twitches occasionally right now and no treatment yet.  I have heard botox is good for muscle spasms, my son has a Parkingson type problem and if his new medication hadn't worked, the botox was an option. Hang in there, okay

SATMAN, I had meant to respond to you before about satellite business. You asked what part of biz. He was in satellite communications, either satellite phones, tracking devices, internet, etc. Also, on to a serious matter, The good ship PBW, full of pirates requests you to be the ship's cameraman. Put a post on "Good Morning" thread if you are interested. (we just got 100,000 hits. - Phyl getting the record number!)

Take care all,

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:54:36 am »
Satman,

I experience everything you do with a terrible pain behind my left eye.  My entire left side of my head aches, and my neck .  I'm to the point I can't lift my left eyebrow when I apply mascara.  I'm in the watch and wait knowing I need a facial nerve graft.  Tomorrow I see the Dr.  The left side of my face is swollen and at times I have palsy.  I'm ready for the nerve graft.  You are so right about being alive!

To everyone who suffers from facial pain, I feel for you because a times it can be debilitating.  Than you throw in migraines *@#&, ITS A NIGHTMARE :'(

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:24:41 am »
Anne Marie~
I am so sorry that you are experiencing this -- I've always said that in a way I am kind blessed because I don't have the facial pain (or ANY pain) on that side -- I guess you have to find the good in everything!!  This is the 1st time in 12 years that MAYBE if I would have had feeling, the infection wouldn't have gotten so bad, but who knows.  I hope that the 12/7 helps -- I had it -- not a bad surgery and it did help some!
 ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:40 am »
Anne Marie

So sorry you are dealing with this. Sending my best wishes and trying to get the wand to perform a magic health upgrade. I wish I could!

Take care,

Mary
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:12:54 pm »
Hi Joyce

During the time my face was totally paralyzed, there was no pain.  Then once I started to get tinglings, I did notice pain -- but generally it's a dull ache -- especially on my forehead and cheek.  It's been going on for several weeks.

And Ann Marie, I am so sorry to hear that.  I didn't realize how bad it had become.  As silly as it may seem, I think some of it has to do with the fact that we all post smiling pictures of us in our profiles.  So it seems like the people we see everyday are happy and recovering well.  When in reality there is a lot of pain and frustration and disappointment  that we don't see.  I wish you the best.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 05:17:05 pm »
Beautifully said, David!

yardtick

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 09:18:49 pm »
Thanks David and Mary,

I see the Dr tomorrow.  Lots of questions and lots of complaints.  I do not want to watch and wait anymore.  I want the bugger out so I can go on with my life.  I'll keep you posted.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

LADavid

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:40 pm »
Hi Anne Marie

I got confused and thought you were a postie.  By all means, get rid of the thing if your health is up for it.  You shouldn't have to go through the pain you are dealing with.  There are a lot of things to deal with on the postie side but a brainbogger isn't one of them.  We'll be with you on this.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:58:56 pm »
Anne Marie -

I, too, didn't realize how much pain you were in until I read your last posts :o  I can't even imagine what you are going through.

I hope the doctor's visit today was productive and that you are on your way to rectifying this situation.

All the best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 06:48:41 pm »
The Dr's visit was very eventful.  He noted all of my facial changes and today my face was behaving.  He told me with the location of the facial neuroma I'm going to have some palsy and it will clear up and come back again, its to be expected.  As I said today my face looks pretty good so he wants to wait for the MRI.   He felt behind my ear around my scar and all along the my head were I told him I have pain.  It hurt but one area in particular was very, very sensitive.  He feels I have a "NEUROMA" underneath my scar.  He injected in three places along the scar a nerve block, local anesthetic and cortisone.  If this doesn't work he wants to surgically go in along the scar, clean it up and scarp the bone.  He also changed my med's, off topomax and on neurontin.

The block lasted about 1 hr.  I really HURT.  I'm seeing him in a month and I'm having the MRI June 15th, so I wait.  The MRI will tell us a lot.  He also gave me an anti inflammatory but because I have a sulfa allergy the pharmacy couldn't fill it.  Tomorrow they will call his office for something else.   Tomorrow I will call my GP for an appt to discuss this latest chapter.  I have to call work and get some forums filled for STD since I used up all of my sick days, I cannot work in this pain.   

Thank you so much my AN friends for your concern.  I know I'm in good hands.  The first thing I did when I got in was Google NEUROMA and sure enough the pain I'm feeling is the description on the wikipedia site. 

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

yardtick

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 11:31:30 am »
Oh what a night :'(

I hardly slept because I couldn't lay on my back or on my left side.  I'm very sore today and tired.  I called work and they are going to pay me STD until the LTD kicks in.  I'm so grateful!  I cannot work with this pain.  I hope the new med's will help me.  My operations mgr is being so understanding.  Her son was in a work related accident around Christmas and he is suffer from chronic headaches and nerve pain.  A bar hit him right above the ear......long story, he delivers furniture for the Brick and a cube van hit the truck while he was unloading and the bar that is in the door was rammed into his head.  He is so lucky he wasn't killed.  He is having massive headaches and has some facial problems.  He is still off work......so because of his struggle she is very sympathetic towards me. 

I'm just wondering has anyone on this forum had a neuroma underneath their scar.  Nothing is "typical" for me.  I'm going to relax now and hopefully snooze on the couch for a bit.  Thanks again for all of your encouraging words.  We are so lucky to be able to support each other on this forum. 

Debbi, I've been to wrapped up in my problems I wish you a speedy full recovery, with no problems.

Nap time my friends.
Anne MArie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

TP

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 11:42:25 am »
Nanansjoy, I have facial pain. It does not hurt in the morning but by midday from talking I start to have pain on my paralysis side of my cheek. By evening it feels like a vise grip is on my face. If I stay busy I find I don't notice it as much but it is very difficult at times and is something I have just learned to live with. I sure hope yours gets better. I totally understand and it is difficult for folks to understand what kind of pain sensation we are experiencing but it is real! Hang in there, my prayers are with you!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision