Author Topic: BAHA removed?  (Read 9573 times)

Sommerl

BAHA removed?
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:22:03 am »
Hi, does anyone have their BAHA removed due to irritation to the skin? Everytime I wear the BAHA, it got warm and feels numbness around the atonement. When I took the BAHA out before bed, it hurts sleeping on the Atonement. When I didn't wear them for a few days, it didn't hurt to sleep on. I told the doctor and he told me he can take it out and put it in a different place. My head burns and itches. Both my doctor and my dermatologist don't know. What should I do? Does anyone have this problem with their problem?

Sommer

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: BAHA removed?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:34 am »
The abutment is titanium, and you should not have a  reaction to it...however we are all different. You might have a small infection going on. The doc that did your surgery may have made the hole that the abutment peaks through, off center a little bit, and your scalp may not be laying down flat, causing some irritation. My scalp was numb for about a year following the surgery, but all the feeling came back. Lastly, my BAHA has never heated up. You might contact Cochlear about it.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:23:23 pm »
Sounds like an infection around your abutment - they generally cause skin irritation and sometimes itching.

Unless, like James said, you have a titanium allergy, which is fairly unlikely. 

Removing a BAHA is not easy - especially once it's calcified into the skull.   From what I've read, a piece of skull would have to be removed along with the abutment. 

Generally if someone decides the BAHA is not for them, the doc just removes the abutment with a screw driver and leaves the titanium rod in the skull.  Eventually the skin on the scalp grows over the abutment.

Before you do anything drastic like letting your doc remove your implant and move it, you definitely need to get a second opinion from a doctor who does BAHAs. 

If you need to find someone in your area, go to www.cochlearamericas.com and search under "Find a Clinic".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sommerl

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:06:22 pm »
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply. Removing part of the skull sounds scary. I don't think I want that. That could probably mess up your face and your head would cave in, I think. I tried to contact the Cochlear implant, but no reply. I hope I did it right. I am the member. The doctor didn't tell me about the removing a piece of skull. He told me he would take it out and drill another hole, but I don't want that. Maybe I'll find another doctor who does the BAHAs.

Sommer

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:08:07 am »
Sommer -

before you do anything else, please clarify with your doctor what he intends to do to "remove" your implant.

I think he means he will just unscrew the abutment - not remove the titanium rod - and implant a second rod some place else on your head.

Jan

PS - I doubt your face will be messed up or your head will cave it.  If this were the case, I'm pretty confident your doctor wouldn't have recommended the procedure to you.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Yamileth

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 04:22:40 pm »
The abutment is titanium, and you should not have a  reaction to it...however we are all different. You might have a small infection going on. The doc that did your surgery may have made the hole that the abutment peaks through, off center a little bit, and your scalp may not be laying down flat, causing some irritation. My scalp was numb for about a year following the surgery, but all the feeling came back. Lastly, my BAHA has never heated up. You might contact Cochlear about it.
[/qu.  Hi I just had my baha remove because I kept building crust and when I would clean it I would bleed. I got it remove this Thursday and it's not true that they remove some of your head