Author Topic: Cane  (Read 4319 times)

larrystambaugh

Cane
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:09:56 pm »
Hello,
Quick question. I have really bad vertigo and MdDS. I tend to trip and lose my balance a lot. My wife says I look drunk. I really need to start using a cane. I have very small hands and I bought a cane from Walmart but it has that big J hook looking handle with a lot of foam and the handle is too big for my hand. Any walking stick reccomendations?
Thanks,
Larry

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
Re: Cane
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:57:56 pm »
There are different styles of handles.  I have a straight handled cane that has a nice foam covering.  I got mine at CVS.  I thought it was much more comfortable than the J-shaped handles when I tried them out.  Get one that is adjustable in height.  The top should come to the level of your wrist with your arm hanging at your side.  It should also be about to level of your hip bone-- the bone you can feel on the outside of your hip. When you walk with it, it should progress forward with your opposite leg; ie, if in your right hand, it should move forward with your left leg-- then step through with your right leg and keep the cane moving opposite the left leg.  I am a physical therapist and have taught many people how to use a cane.  Maybe you already knew how to walk with it. :) With regards to your vertigo, are there any medications you can take, such as diazapam/valium that may help suppress it?  Vestibular exercises may help also.  Wishing you the best.

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:47:28 am »
Dear Larry and Jenichol,

I am quite experienced when it comes to canes or walking sticks. There are several varieties: there are quad canes that stand up themselves and have a wide 4 pronged base, there are the standard wooden canes made out of wood with a curved handle and are not variable in height, and then there are the aluminum ones (like the ones in CVS or Walmart) they have adjustable heights and are the most versatile, they come in foam handle or hard plastic handle both have straps on them.

Personally, I make use of the aluminum  ones with the foam handles and the strap. If you are walking off balance or swaying from side to side with balance issues it is easy to fall or lose your balance and stumble! I'd say invest in a cane, it is much better to get up and down with a cane than it is to stumble and fall!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:51:26 pm »
Hello,
Quick question. I have really bad vertigo and MdDS. I tend to trip and lose my balance a lot. My wife says I look drunk. I really need to start using a cane. I have very small hands and I bought a cane from Walmart but it has that big J hook looking handle with a lot of foam and the handle is too big for my hand. Any walking stick reccomendations?
Thanks,
Larry

Go to Harbor Freight if there is one in your area and try out this folding cane:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=cane

I have one and the handle fits fine.

It comes in a plastic snap open sheath. I'm sure they'll let you try it in the store before you buy it.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0