Author Topic: A place to vent  (Read 82166 times)

Static

Re: A place to vent
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2007, 06:59:59 pm »
Gennysmom,
Not as geeky as me.  I took my daughter to the midnight selling of the last Harry Potter book then spent all weekend reading it!  We have every book and every movie.  I guess I'll have to reread them all again!
~Karen 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #211 on: August 09, 2007, 12:28:16 pm »
Oh, believe me, I have all the books and the movies as well.  I read the last one in about 24 hours to beat the news leaks of what happens.  I could vent about that stupidity for hours!  At least I know I'm not the only one, I know Katie's a fan too. 

Totally off the venting subject, please feel free to vent on everyone!   ;D
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #212 on: August 09, 2007, 02:56:19 pm »
Oh, believe me, I have all the books and the movies as well.  I read the last one in about 24 hours to beat the news leaks of what happens.  I could vent about that stupidity for hours!  At least I know I'm not the only one, I know Katie's a fan too. 

Totally off the venting subject, please feel free to vent on everyone!   ;D

Better believe I'm a fan!   ;D
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2007, 09:35:31 am »
Ah, sweet Kathleen. My favorite Amazon Geek. (Amazon as in the warrior woman kind)

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2007, 02:21:52 pm »
I have all the books and I even decided to go to the mall at midnight to scoop up the last Harry Potter book (sob) just to say that I went to one middle of the night event.  And like Kathleen, even tho I wanted to savor the last book, I was afraid if I took my time, I'd hear something about it before I was done....so I raced through the book.  The people behind me in line asked if I was buying this book for someone.  I said....yes, ME!

My friend uses audio books all the time because she likes to be doing busy work while she listens to the story, or else driving to and from work.  I've never listened to one...but the pre-recorded message I got on my telephone reminding me to come and get the book was recorded by the man who narrates the Potter books.  My what a silken voice he has!  It would be a treat to hear him tell the story.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2007, 08:11:28 pm »
Maybe I should look for them books too.  I do alot of reading while waiting at doctor appts.  Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are two of my favorite shows.  Comedy central is my fav channel.  Its my default on the remote  ;D.

~Karen

These shows are great,  Comedy Central was my post op recovery therapy before I could focus enough to read> I wouod wake up in the morining and turn on  Comedy Central and lay in bed and listen to the stand up comics. Started my days off laughing....it was great

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #216 on: August 11, 2007, 08:16:46 am »
While I was recovering in California, my cousin's husband watched Fox news continuously and Bill O'Reilly all the time. No wonder I developed headaches!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Ellenmn

« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2007, 08:33:34 am »
While I was recovering in California, my cousin's husband watched Fox news continuously and Bill O'Reilly all the time. No wonder I developed headaches!

Capt Deb 8)

That would give me Headaches as well.

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2007, 12:45:53 pm »
Dear all,
When I first found this post, I felt a great relief - all the exchange of info and the positive outlook on this Board is wonderful, but it's also wonderful to acknowledge all our frustrations honestly.

I haven't read every entry in "A place to vent", but I want to add some historical perspective to the posts about doctors with unsympathetic attitudes and no particular recommendation.  I'm definitely not trying to sugar coat everyone's experience, just point out that it used to be alot worse.

Although there are many, many egotistical doctors still out there, at least there are SOME who actually listen.  (You may have to repeat yourself a gazillion times.)  The attitude of the medical profession has changed alot in the last 40-50 years.  There used to be very, very few doctors who weren't arrogant.  Now there are many, or at least some.  That's a big change to me, in my life time.  I saw my mother suffer horribly, being constantly told that things were "in her head."  I know it still happens alot - it happened to my husband with what was eventually diagnosed as MS.  But now that our family doctor (a younger person without decades of experience) knows what MS 'looks like," she openly acknowledges that she learned alot.  For me, there's a huge difference between my mother's lifetime of suffering, and the 6 months or so it took for Clyde's persistence to "educate" our family doctor.  And my mother was a smart and very feisty woman, so it wasn't for lack of trying on her part.  I tell these stories to my doctor so she'll know the vast difference between the 50s and 60s and now.

I know it's VERY difficult to be under the extreme stresses of AN symptoms AND having been told you have a tumor, and then having to decide yourself what option to take.  But to me this is such a positive development in medicine historically, I sincerely think we should appreciate it.  I am only at the beginning of my AN journey and i don't know if my GK procedure will help or hurt my situation, nor do I know if there's some fact I haven't uncovered in research that I will wish I knew in retrospect (as I  know is the case with several AN Forum members).  BUT it seems accurate to me that the choice of treatment for ANs is appropriately one that each of us has to make, no matter how hard it is.  It's the doctors who say defniitely to us that "procedure x is the answer" that are speaking an untruth, unless of course one has a large or particularly invasive AN.  Many of us have a choice, and many people have 'fought' the medical establishment over the decades to give us that choice.  It makes it oh-so-much harder, but it's better to be able to take into consideration ALL of our personal factors in addition to the medical realities of our situation.

And, finally, the internet.  What we would all do without this Forum?  I'm not sure we'd be able to make an educated and personal decision.  The internet allows us to talk to hundreds of other people we would not know otherwise.  I find it difficult to wade through the posts, but I found the posts and the recommended links I needed to make my decision.

I'm sure several of you will say, "What the heck is this Pollyanna doing here?'  I'm not a Pollyanna; I'm just saying it's so much better than it used to be.  Both my mother and I have spent our lifetimes fighting the establishment, being dogged patient advocates for ourselves and loved one.  It takes pushing, pushing, pushing.  You have to see it as a contribution you're making to human progress, even as you suffer.  It IS a contribution to human progress!  In the 70s when I was involved with a meditation and wholistic health group, I would have NEVER thought that acupuncture would be so accepted by the 1990s.  There's lots of racism still in the world, but it's better.  There's alot more openness and acceptance of, for example, depression as a medical condition, not a moral one, but there's still alot of stereotypes that still need to be overcome.

Fight on!

End of rant ................ :-)
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2007, 05:56:08 pm »
You are very right Dana.  We are better off in some ways today than ten, or more years ago.  I do remember our family doctor when I was a child in the fifties though.  I was a sick child.  Lots of different, difficult illnesses.  He always took time and HE made house calls.  He listened and when he didn't know the answer he found someone who did.  I lived in a town with a population of twenty thousand and we had two hospitals. I have a doctor, who although she doesn't make house calls, although I've never asked her to, does listen and she is one of the smartest and nicest doctors and down to earth ones next to my childhood doctor I have ever been to.  Sometimes I think the searches on the Internet give us too much info.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2007, 07:04:20 am »
One little rant from me ...

POST OP SNEEZING IS BAD !  >:(

even 6 weeks out

Sneezing fit resulted in having to take heavy duty pain killers about 4 pm yesterday afternoon... sneezed til AN
side of nose bled some ... called doctor and he said to rest in up right position and go to ER if it bled more or if had
watery discharge ( CSF leak ) ...don't know if my family even ate dinner last night ... sat in recliner and propped my
head in just the right position , turned off all lights and dared anyone to enter room...Husband got me up and
tucked in bed  about 1 this morning ... had to get up and get everyone off about 6 ... hungover but head is
fine ... these little things make me irrationally mad...

Doctor called and ask me to go on in to see my PCP and let him look in my nose and ears even though I told
him I am doing fine and no more bleeding nose and no sign of leaking fluid... so instead of my nice ,quiet , post crazy
weekend day I am going to get to go sit in a doctors office ... I am going to request
to be stuck in the well baby waiting room where they stick new little babies to keep them from
being exposed to viruses and colds and stuff... if a dozen sneezes can knock me flat I don't want to find out what
a virus or bad cold could do

The sneezing  fit was the result of husband weed eating ... I made him stop before he started cutting grass... I told
him to turn a cow or goat in the yard but leave the mower alone...

OK... all done venting ...gonna go get a shower and wait til 9 to see when they can get me in

Have a good day
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2007, 08:17:11 am »
official need to vent....

I lost another friend... young one... died mysteriously and a very dear friend.... my friend, my hairdresser, the one that always showed me unconditional love and support, during all of my physical ailments, my foibles, my warped humor, fought like a sister with me.  She loved the fact that I found a man that would love me as unconditionally as she loved me... and as I loved her.

Many here know I lost a friend last year that was young and mysterious situation... and now, here I go again...

Tiger, you have no clue how much you touched my heart.  You have NO clue how much I value our friendship.  I hate the fact that you died so young (36).  I hate the fact that I didn't get to say good-bye.  I hate the fact that you were healthy and fit as can be while my body tries desperately to fail me... and now you are gone.  This bites.

So, my vent today... that another person, so dear to my heart, was taken at a young age.....

Ok, this ends my vent.... sorry folks... just had to let this out.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Dealy

« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2007, 09:15:59 am »
Phyl- Good to release pent up emotions I guess. When I had my first AN and was recuprating from surgery-one Friday evening I opened the paper and saw a good friend of mine had died and he was only 33 years old. He had a rare heart condition and he went to excercise.He heart started racing and they could not slow it down-he died two hours later in the hospital. His girlfriend at the time-well they were going to get married in two months.She is still our good friend. She never married. Guess we will never know why someone in this world is taken at such a young age. Condolences to you for losing a good friend. Ron

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2007, 04:09:34 pm »
Phyll ...sorry to hear of your loss...

I have a  friend of 20+ years who my older kids always called uncle... he and
his wife were instrumental in getting me through the breakup in my first marriage...
He asked which one got him in the divorce and I told him I did  ( being a good
guy he has remained friends with both of us) ... anyway... last November his
8 year old son collapsed and died about 12 hours later... he had a brain tumor... not
an AN ... just a benign tumor of unknown origin against his brain stem... he was never sick 
or any symptoms ... just suddenly gone

It is so hard to lose anyone and to lose young people seems even worse... his death
made me think why him and not me ...

My thoughts are with you
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21:24 pm »
Hey Capt:  I read them - they were hysterical, especially Stormy Weather !!!  My mom read me Skinny Dip while I was recuperating immediately post op & couldn't read too well.     I love the way he pokes fun at the politics in Florida too - unfortunately he's 'right on' - alot of it IS based on reality. (Lord,I miss New York...)

Warning-don't read posts when you are short on sleep!  My Dad & I had just got back from a WWII Reunion and our flights got delayed and therefore I arrived at home at 1 in the morning and had to work today so I'm really, really tired.  When I read the above lines I thought it said, "My Mom made me skinny dip while I was recuperating."  I then read a few prior posts to see what led to this post and read it right the next time.  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.