Author Topic: Mid Fossa scheduled one week from today  (Read 15091 times)

HoosierRick

Re: Mid Fossa scheduled one week from today
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 05:21:39 pm »
I am an official postie now...it's been 5 days since my surgery and I am progressing well.  The surgery was successful and I have retained some hearing, just don't know how much yet.   :)  My biggest issue to date has been dizziness and balance.  Which was expected since my tumor was small.  Nothing...and I mean nothing...really prepares you for how  you feel when you get out of surgery.  It's been one heck of an experience so far.  I seem to require a lot of quiet time and the light is bothersome if I am in it too long.  But, I would not have done anything different.  The Dr.s here are remarkable, personable, and just the best.  I am now released from the Hospital and am back at Seton.  Doing well and thankful for all the kind words and prayers...Thanks!!!     ;)
3mm x 3mm right side AN. Diagnosed 10-13-11. Surgery @ HEI w/Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz 12-07-11.

Tamster

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
How wonderful to hear that your surgery was successful and they were able to preserve some of your hearing. May your recovery be sure and uneventful! Welcome to postie land!

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 08:36:22 pm »
Very glad to hear the good news.  Keep us posted on your recovery.  ;D
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 09:31:29 pm »
Hi Rick .....

So good to hear you are doing well.  It is not surprising about the balance thing.  Rest, rest, walk, rest, rest, walk, etc.  It is really hard to make yourself get up and walk when your visual cues are all skewed, but it really will help your brain adjust more quickly.

Have you tried sunglasses to help with the brightness of light?  The need for quiet is partly from the adjustment to the new way your brain is perceiving sound.  It will get better.  You might try an earplug in your good ear to see if it helps any.

You also still have some brain swelling, which takes a while to go down.  It really sounds like you are doing very well.

Thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chances3

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 12:08:30 pm »
Good to hear from you Rick, and very happy to hear the surgery went well.  We'll have to make a Yankee game together !!

Stay strong, the worse is over, now it's healing and recovery time.

ksiwek

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 04:31:07 pm »
Rick,
So happy to read that you made it through with flying colors.  Although the healing journey is a longer one, it is much better to be on the post op side!  Be patient and kind to yourself...healing does happen...quickly in some ways at first and then continually over the long haul.  I am 18 months post op and have continued to improve.  As I mentioned when we spoke, if you or your wife have any questions or just need to chat...don't hesitate to reach out! 

I am thrilled that they preserved some of your hearing...wonderful!

Take care!
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Tamster

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 03:03:00 pm »
Hey Rick,
Two weeks out. How are you doing?

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

HoosierRick

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »
Doing well...my balance is slowly coming back...I imagine it will be awhile before it gets close to normal though.  Riding in a car is still quite the experience...just too much info flowing through the eyes I think.  The last couple of days I have had some facial issues, like my right eye doesn't want to close sompletely, and my mouth droops a little on the right.  I have noticed that when I drink through a straw that some liquid will seep out on that side...ha!  The dr.'s had said that this could happen.  They are giving me another round of steroids and antiviral meds and said it should clear up in a few weeks.  Nothing major that is causing any real problems though.  I still get really tired after just a bit of exercise.  Usually take a nap during the day and am fine after that.  I still believe I would do the same thing all over again.  My hearing is getting better every day...the fullness in my ear is not as prominent.  I am so thankful for the Dr.s at HEI.  Nothing against anywhere else, but they were and are great!  Thanks for asking Tamster!
3mm x 3mm right side AN. Diagnosed 10-13-11. Surgery @ HEI w/Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz 12-07-11.

Chances3

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 12:02:01 pm »
Hi Rick,

Tired and fatigue is normal, don't be afraid to take some naps.  I went back on steroids two weeks after surgery for my face and eye, all is well now.  Overall, sounds like things are going in the right direction, hang in there.

HoosierRick

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 11:13:11 pm »
Thanks to everyone on this forum!  And I want to say HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!!!!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 07:10:04 pm »
Hey Rick, sorry I hadn't joined in at this point on wishing you luck and all that...I see another successful HEI story...I too had MF at HEI, almost 2 years to the day you had yours!  Anyways, I hope you have had  a great holiday...I know how that one goes when you are trying to recover...take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 01:39:42 pm »
Hi Rick,

I'm really glad to hear you're doing so well. 

I'm scheduled for the same surgery next week myself.  I started a separate thread for posting any words of wisdom for someone still on the pre-surgery side, I'd love to hear from you!

All the best for a continued speedy recovery,
Liz
5x6x11mm right sided AN.
Surgery (middle fossa), Dr. Backous, Swedish Neuroscience, Seattle, 1/12/12 after 6 years W&W.

HoosierRick

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 11:19:48 am »
Recovery was going well until yesterday.  I had been walking about 20-30 minutes a day and the balance was getting better.  And then I started having pain in my calf.  Went to the Dr. and had an ultrasound done...seems I have a blood clot.  Ugh!!  Now I am on blood thinner...giving myself 2 shots a day in the stomach...and taking 2 pills a day.  Man it seems like it will go on forever.  The blood thinner is making me dizzy, along with the dizziness for surgery, I am struggling.   :(

Chances3

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »
Hey Rick,

You're not going to believe this - three weeks post op I developed a blood clot in my right calf.  It's called a DVT - deep vein thrombosis.  I was hospitalized for three days, took shots of Lovanex to my stomach for 10 days and was put on a oral blood thinner called Cumaden for 6 months.  My surgeon told me that in over 20 years he has only had 3 blood clots.  You and are getting more common by the day, Yankee Fan, Middle Fossa approach and now a blood clot.

It was a struggle to get around until the pain went down, and spending 3 days back in a hospital three weeks after surgery made me depressed ( I'm upbeat by nature ).  That was a real low in my recovery.  Hang in there buddy, think of which Yankee game we will go to together.

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 01:01:22 pm »
Rick, I'm really sorry to hear your news.  That's just dreadful.  I hope you start to feel better really soon.  Wishing you all the best!
5x6x11mm right sided AN.
Surgery (middle fossa), Dr. Backous, Swedish Neuroscience, Seattle, 1/12/12 after 6 years W&W.