Author Topic: Mid Fossa scheduled one week from today  (Read 15090 times)

HoosierRick

Mid Fossa scheduled one week from today
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:27:21 am »
Hi, I am a Newbie...I have been reading posts for a while now and decided I would join in the conversations.  I am 43 and was diagnosed with a right side AN on 10-13-11.  It is relatively small (3mm x 3mm) but has already taken 25% of my hearing in the right ear.  I have Tinnitus (driving me crazy...esp in quiet rooms).  I am flying out to HEI this coming Sunday...Dec.4th...with surgery scheduled for Dec.7th.  My wife and I wanted to make the trip into a short mini-vaca so we are going out a couple of days early.  My Dr's are Wilkinson/Schwartz...I am very thankful for all the info I have learned on this site and for all those that have been through this before.  We are staying in the Seton Guest Center...any info on that would be great.  Thanks!!
3mm x 3mm right side AN. Diagnosed 10-13-11. Surgery @ HEI w/Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz 12-07-11.

ksiwek

Re: Mid Fossa scheduled one week from today
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:51 am »
Best of luck to you!  You will be in great hands!  I was at HEI/Seton in June 2010.  I lived in LA for about 6 weeks.  Happy to chat about any questions you may have.  Just send me a message if you'd like to talk via phone...maybe easier than typing :). Good luck!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:24 am »
Hi Rick and welcome to this forum .....

I was a hoosier for 5 years, earlier in my life, when we were in grad school at IU.   ;D

As Kris said, you will be in great hands at HEI!  My husband and I also flew out several days early for a mini-vacation before the big day.  My surgery was in May of this year and we thought it would be warm in sunny California.  How wrong we were!  It was sunny, but the temp never got above 70 the 16 days we were out there!  Very unusual but we needed our light jackets the entire time.

We, also, stayed in Seton Hall (a total of 16 days).  Seton Hall is nothing fancy but it was clean, comfortable, and a wonderful support with others going through the same surgery.  Like Kris, if you want to know specifics, send me a PM and I'd be happy to talk with you, as well.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

producer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »
I wasnt aware that surgery was performed on such tiny tumors and so quickly after being diagnosed??  3mm x 3mm is not 'relatively small'   its actually tiny and barely  visible on a scan..

Is there a reason why youre proceeding with surgery so soon after being diagnosed and with such a tiny tumor?  Interested to hear your reasoning if you wish to share.

all the best for your surgery  :)

chris
Mosaic NF2  diagnosed march 2011.

9mm x 6mm x 6mm left VS

Cyberknife 3 day treatment completed May 2nd.

HeidiC

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:46:25 pm »
I'll chime in here, since I just had my 3mmx3mm AN surgically removed not long after I got diagnosed :)...I didn't see the point of waiting for it to grow.  It would just get bigger, cause more hearing loss, and be harder to remove without more complications.  It was the right decision for me.  Thats the short and sweet answer LOL...its been a long day!

Incidentally...While 3mm is small, I saw my MRI and it is definately visible-looked a little smaller than a pea.

Good luck with your surgery.  Let us know how your recovery is going when you can.  :)
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

HoosierRick

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »
HeidiC hit the nail on the head...or should I say in the ear!  Lol. I already have 25 percent hearing loss...and because of the location of the tumor...about as far outward in the IAC as it can get...any growth at all would take more hearing.  And I would rather have a 'chance' of retaining some hearing instead of letting that darn little thing eventually take it all.   Plus, I am not the W&W type.  I am young, in good health(other than this crazy tumor), and at this time...thankfully...have a good job with good insurance.  Don't see any reason to put it off.  Just one persons opinion...

BTW...Kris, your story is inspirational.  Thank you so much for talking with me!  I told my wife what you had to say and it made her feel much better. :)
3mm x 3mm right side AN. Diagnosed 10-13-11. Surgery @ HEI w/Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz 12-07-11.

Chances3

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:48:13 pm »
Hi Rick,

I love the Yankee banners in the background.  I grew up in NYC, I'm a big Yankee fan.  I had a middle fossa a little over 13 months ago.  Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos did the honors at NYU Medical Center.  Post surgery is challenging, but you do get better.  Every person responds and recovers differently to these operations, so don't be discouraged if you want to be yourself immediately.  I have read great things about the place you're going to.  I didn't access this site until well after my surgery or I might have considered it as well.  However, my doctors were fantastic, they saved some of my hearing, my facial nerve works very well.  I have had a ring in my head for years, and it has progressively gotten worse since the surgery.  I wish there was a magic pill to stop the noise, but I keep researching, hopefully I find a way to get rid of it.  God speed my man, you'll be fine.  Keep us all informed on how it's going.

God Bless.

califgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:47:56 pm »
Hi Rick,

My surgery was at HEI nine months ago (end of Feb).  My tumor was larger at
1.3 cm but still on the small side.  My husband and I stayed at Seton Hall which was adequate - but the Best part of Seton was being able to talk to others going through the same thing.  There were people from all over the world and all over the United States going through one common experience together.  Everyone was at different stages of the process, but sharing and experiencing this together with others was so helpful and encouraging.  I feel that it really helped me be more positive during the experience. 

I wish you the very best!  Stay positive and be patient and keep us posted!

Robin

Surgery at HEI Feb. 2011.  Only partial removal was accomplished.  Mar 2012 annual MRI shows tumor growing back - almost same original size!

HoosierRick

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 08:07:18 am »
Chances3...Love the Yankees! 

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and the helpful tidbits about HEI.  I truly feel that I am going to the best place for me.  I will admit, the closer the surgery gets, the more the nerves are coming into play.  It is probably a common theme...to get nervous prior to major surgery...but with some of the obstacles that those of you on this forum have overcome, and continue to overcome, your sharing HELPS!

Rick

HoosierRick

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »
Got through all the pre-op tests and am cleared for surgery.  Ahhhh, that was a fun day...not.   ^-^. Tomorrow the fun really begins...10am.  Really liked meeting Dr.'s Stefan and Schwartz.  Liked them both a lot!!  Have been staying at Seton for 3 days now...it is a nice facility.  Like others have said, not anything great, but nice enough and it is great to be right here next tos the hospital.  Talk to u all soon.

Rick

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »
Hi Rick .....

It all sounds very familiar!   :)  Many thoughts and prayers for tomorrow.  Have your wife log on and let us know how you are doing ..... until you feel up to posting yourself!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ksiwek

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 08:53:57 pm »
Good luck tomorrow!  We will all be thinking/praying for a successful outcome!  Keep us updated and get a lot of rest...

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Tamster

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 08:05:28 am »
Oh, how well I remember pre-op day!  Hard to believe you can spend the entire day going from one test to another to another. I'm sure you won't read this until you're a postie, but I just wanted to wish you well as you go into surgery.  I'll be thinking of you today and hoping for the best possible outcome. I hope someone will post for you so we'll get an update. 
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

Chances3

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 11:29:22 am »
Have you in my prayers right now Rick.

Keep us posted.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:32 pm »
Hope things went well, Rick.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways