Author Topic: eyelid retraction surgery?  (Read 3431 times)

elderbirds

eyelid retraction surgery?
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:53:46 am »
I broke down and finally went to the Occuloplastic Surgeon in my last ditch effort to get back into contact lenses. My right eye closes but my blink is only at 40% and no one will fit me for contacts.  My eyes are asymmetrical looking which bothers me more than the synkensis.  He recommended a lower eye lid retraction which would give me more symmetry.  It is purely cosmetic but may indirectly help me improve my blink enough to get into contacts.  It's a bit of a gamble with the whole contact issue, but I am considering it just based on the cosmetic outcome.  Has anyone had this procedure done?  happy with results?  He was in and out of the room so quickly I didn't get to ask a lot of questions. (I did ask his resident a few).
Hope (elderbirds)

Kaybo

Re: eyelid retraction surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:07:01 pm »
HEY HOPE!!  How the heck are you??  Glad to "hear" from you! I haven't had this, but I will be following closely to see what others say!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

m4guzman

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:52:24 am »
Hi

I too am a contact user with a 40% blink.  At first I could not wear my contacts for about 8 months.  I only wore one.
I began going to doctors and they said that my eye was too dry for a contact.  He gave my something that you put in
your eye and it makes your eye tear more.  I forget the name of it but it was a little capsule.  It worked.  I used it for about a
week and I was able to wear the contact in my bad eye.  My vision was not perfect in that eye however.  I had to keep forceing
my self to blink.  Today I am able to wear  contacts in both eyes without using anything.  My vision is still not perfect and I I
still have to force my eyes to blink so they stay moist but it is better than my glasses.

Marybeth
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:33:28 pm »
Hope -

I have no personal experience in this area, so unfortunately I can't help you with this topic.

Just wanted to say hi.  It's been a while since we've heard from you.

Don't be a stranger,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways