Author Topic: MAYO CLINIC good or bad for Neurology/AN issues???  (Read 2914 times)

kjmema

MAYO CLINIC good or bad for Neurology/AN issues???
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:41:43 am »
I'm getting more and more discouraged with the health care in our city so am working on getting into Mayo clinic for a second opinion on the AN and other possible related issues.....I haven't seen Mayo's mentioned much on this site and wonder if anyone has any input on the neurologist dept there.   

Karen
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

sirialison

Re: MAYO CLINIC good or bad for Neurology/AN issues???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:28:16 pm »
It's always good to have a second opinion. What have you got to lose? I had excellent surgical care at Mayo.The care team at the hostipal were absolutely extraordinary! Dr. Link (neurosurgeron) & Dr. Driscoll (ENT) did my retrosig surgery and I had a "textbook" case (LUCKY!). 3.5 cm tumor removed on a Wednesday, discharged on Saturday a.m., on my way home on Sunday afternoon.

I did have a set back with a staph infection about 3 1/2 weeks following the tumor removal that made another surgery necessary, a week long hospitalization and six seeks of intavenous antibiotics, and all that inconvenience. And then there' been finding adequate after care....but I do take a lot of that responsibility because I did not have time to really research post-surgery issues since my situation called for a pretty immediate decision on treatment because of size of the tumor and significant brain compression.

If I HAD to  do this again, I WOULD go back to these same physicians at Mayo (even with the distance) but I be prepared with questions about the after effects of the surgery itself and about finding a qualified physician for long term after care/questions (it's been 2 yrs. 3 months since my surgery).
Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004

Denise

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 01:45:09 pm »
Karen, where are you located?

I went to the U of Minnesota. I have no complaints about my drs., the hospital, or the care I received.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Obita

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:19:27 pm »
Hi Karen:

Denise and I had the same surgeons at the U of M.  My ENT and GP told me that I didn't need to go to the Mayo Clinic unless I wanted to, as the top guns in ANs were right here in the Twin Cities.  The whole University of Minnesota AN experience was A+ with me too. 

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

kjmema

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 09:46:23 pm »
thanks for the imput...I'm looking into Mayo since I have other strange things going on medically and feel I can avail myself of all the different departments there....As for the AN itself I'm still in the Wand W mode.  I'm in Mo. so it's a long drive but may be worth the effort...K.
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off