Author Topic: pre-treatment trigeminal issues???  (Read 3616 times)

Jeff

pre-treatment trigeminal issues???
« on: February 28, 2007, 04:34:31 pm »
Hello,

First, I am scheduled for surgery in April. My tumor is 3.5+cm. I have had tingling on that side of my face for 3 or more years. However, things have changed in the past few weeks. First, the area under my left nostril began to feel as though my nose was running - wet and cool. Now, this feeling is spreading to my lip, nose, and the inside of my mouth. I don't know how to describe this. My teeth feel cold. Periodically, my tongue gets some kind of electrical stimulation. It feels like when I used to touch my tongue to the positive and negative terminals of a 9 volt battery as a kid. All facial functions work fine; I check in the mirror every morning. Have any of you dealt with these symptoms preoperatively?

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Battyp

Re: pre-treatment trigeminal issues???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:44:58 pm »
I have it more post operatively than pre.  I did have some parts on my face that I touched that felt different but my face looked the same and moved.  Sounds like you're tumor is pressing on your trigeminal nerve. Have you told your doctor about this??

amymeri

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:25:56 pm »
I had similar symptoms pre-op but now post op I am mainly numb with occasional tingling, cold, wet, pulling or other sensations.

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 07:54:26 pm »
Hi Jeff,

I had GK, not surgery, but I have some of those issues.  I've already asked people if they get a "cold nose". I sure do.  And I have a drippy nose too, but I have no idea if that's allergy related or AN related, but it sure seems to me that I am mostly drippy on the left side. 

I have one of those things that they sell at the mall and it is a neck warmer thingie that you put in the microwave for 2 minutes to get it nice and warm.  I use it a lot, but mostly for my face and nose when it feels cold (in the evening) or for my feet at night in bed. 

The inside of my mouth is sensitive on the AN side.  It sort of hurts to brush my teeth on that side.  And my tongue is affected also.  It's our nerves, and they are not happy.  I found this:

The Facial Nerve
The facial nerve carries impulses from the brain to the facial muscles, allowing facial expression and movement. In addition, portions of the facial nerve activate the tear glands, the salivary glands, and tiny ear muscles, as well as carry taste sensations from the tongue back to the brain. When the nerve impulses to the facial nerve are interrupted, any or all of these functions may be affected.

I also found this on the Internet in answer to a question from a woman who experienced these things on a trip and had changes in altitude. They don't necessarily apply to us, but then again maybe they do and I thought this was interesting:

The tingling tongue. One of the nerves to the tongue, a little guy called the chorda tympani, travels through the middle ear on its course from your brain to your tongue. Conceivably, pressure changes could cause a temporary impairment of blood flow to the nerve, resulting in your symptoms.

The sluggish blink. The nerve that powers ALL the muscles of facial expression, including the muscles that allow you to blink, is called the facial nerve. The facial nerve also traverses the middle ear. Once again, rapid pressure changes might alter blood flow to the nerve, causing temporary weakness.

Facial numbness. I suspect that this may be due, not to pressure changes in your middle ear, but in your sinuses. As with the middle ear, the sinuses are "air pockets" that at times may get "cut off from the outside world." The sinuses do have natural drainage channels, through which air enters and mucus exits. If you have had nasal congestion from a cold, these tiny channels may have swollen shut. A nerve that provides sensation to the middle portion of your face, the infraorbital nerve, traverses the maxillary sinus (immediately below your eye, to the side of your nose). If blood flow were altered to this nerve, you would notice numbness of the middle part of your face, including your cheek, upper lip and upper teeth.

And finally this:

What is a vestibular schwannoma (acoustic neuroma)?
A vestibular schwannoma (also known as acoustic neuroma, acoustic neurinoma, or acoustic neurilemoma) is a benign, usually slow-growing tumor that develops from the balance and hearing nerves supplying the inner ear. The tumor comes from an overproduction of Schwann cells--the cells that normally wrap around nerve fibers like onion skin to help support and insulate nerves. As the vestibular schwannoma grows, it presses against the hearing and balance nerves, usually causing unilateral (one-sided) or asymmetric hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ear), and dizziness/loss of balance. As the tumor grows, it can interfere with the face sensation nerve (the trigeminal nerve), causing facial numbness. Vestibular schwannomas can also press on the facial nerve (for the muscles of the face) causing facial weakness or paralysis on the side of the tumor. If the tumor becomes large, it will eventually press against nearby brain structures (such as the brainstem and the cerebellum), becoming life-threatening.

So there you go.  Anyway, I wish you the best when you have your surgery and hope your recovery is fast and uneventful.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Windsong

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 09:55:59 pm »
Jeff,

yes, i had the An side nose drip and tingling  and some minor numbness pre-treatment (FSR).. all of them coming and going.. .

Sue,

Thanks a lot for your info in italics there... it certianly explains some of these minor and occasional happenings even now.

W.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 02:22:34 pm »
Yes, I get all sorts of minor twinges and pinpoints of sensation, and nervy weirdness that isn't a MAJOR distraction, but sort of nags at ya over time.  Irritating.  And the nose drip.   So attractive!

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 05:32:12 pm »
So very true, Sue, and "nagging" which goes on forever gets awfully irritating to say nothing of the days when one feels one is not functioning with a "full deck" (that wonkiness mentioned on here before). I realize today i no longer remember or have a clue what feeling a 100% is for a whole day.

And commenting on another thread by Phyl about "mourning" losses due to health adversity, i did that too.... hard not to in my case when other than an issues sidelined me at a very active, busy busy, fulfilling time in my life and ,then, not having an An diagnosis for as long as i did, the added symptoms tipped the scales so that i had to stop working, lost years of income, all sorts of things with the worst ending up realizing "who am I ?" as so much of what i used to do was who i am.  Like any mourning experience one has to move forward, make new "me's" and concentrate on the positives, but thsoe mourning stages are important for moving forward.

Sorry, I should have put that last bit in Phyl's thread but i got carried away i guess. I just slept away the entire afternoon and i was never a napper. Reminded me how I am not 100% in all sorts of things lol now.

W.

W.