Author Topic: Sleepliness & Fatigue  (Read 5349 times)

Catflower

Sleepliness & Fatigue
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:31:24 pm »
I'm having a problem with daytime sleepiness and fatigue and was wondering if it could be related to the 2 cm AN I have.   I'm scheduled for surgery in April and would love to get some extra work done in preparation, but I really don't have the energy.  I usually sleep about 9 hours a night which should be enough, but after I'm up about 5 hours I am simply overwhelmed by the need to nap.  My naps usually amount to one and half to two hours.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Sleepliness & Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:53:53 pm »
Catflower:

Fatigue is often associated with acoustic neuroma tumors, especially if they rest on the brain stem.  Unfortunately, there is no 'cure' for these symptoms, other than removal of the tumor.  If you're not sleeping well, that only magnifies the problem.  I would suggest you tell your doctor about this situation, especially the sleeplessness, and he or she may choose to prescribe a short-term sleep aid for you, such as Ambien, at least until your scheduled surgery in April.  It's worth asking.  You want to go into surgery as well as you can be so you'll have the best chance for a positive outcome.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 03:55:29 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:47:43 pm »
I had a 2 cm tumor.  One of the symptoms that I did not report was sleepiness.  I took a long nap every afternoon and had refused to sit with my then 5 year grandsons in the afternoon because I would fall asleep on them.  My tumor was "just kissing the brain stem" at that time. The tumor diagnosis was a complete surprise and I had surgery just 10 weeks after it was discovered. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 11:27:48 am »
HI Catflower.

Jim and Boppie are right.  I have also shared with others here a brochure I picked up at Brigham/Woman's Hospital in Boston, written by Dr. Peter Black regarding "Brain tumors and fatigue". Many here have read it and have gained insight into understanding how all brain tumors (yes, AN's included) and fatigue go hand in hand, plus suggestions on how to handle the fatigue. If interesting in reading it (you will need Adobe Acrobat on your computer to open it as it is a .pdf file), please send me an email here on the site with your internet email address and I'll be glad to send along.

Hang in there....
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tony

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 04:10:41 pm »
OK double check a search with "fatigue" on the system
Basically if you have one balance nerve failing (under pressure, miss-firing,etc etc )
your neuro system is overworked, compensating in some way
- the sensations are REAL - but the causes are not
You may find a simple sit down with eyes CLOSED for 10-15mins
will fix it - plan your rest - but best not to sleep
or it will mess up the night-sleep-pattern
Post treatmemt it will get better - but meantime you have to compensate
Best Regards
Tony

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:16:22 pm »
Catflower, before I was diagnosed I was sleeping excessively.  I think I slept more than I was up and never associated it with the problem with my ear.  Gee, hindsight eh?  As tony stated you do better if you just lay down for no more than about 20 - 30 mins. Set an alarm to make sure you don't fall into a deep sleep.  Which allows your brain to reset.  You're other option is to ask the doctor for decadron you'll be so wired you'll clean your house, your neighbors house and half the blocks :o)  Honestly decadron is not something routinely given before unless you get the wonderful pressure headaches. 

Hope that helps and good luck on your treatment!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 03:48:16 am »
I'm almost eighteen months post-op and I am having a two day sleep study done beginning Sunday afternoon.  I have no idea which state I will be in.  I have been sleeping sixteen hours a days and have been exhausted the other eight.  Or I sleep in three hour splurts and am still exhausted all of the time.  My meds have been changed so many times I don't remember what I am taking most of the time.  The very little I drive, I usually have to pull over if it is for longer than fifteen minutes.  My AN was 3.5 and even after fifteen months of PT and walking my balance isn't any better today than it was before I had the surgery.  No one in my family gives me a hard time about taking a nap anymore though :)!  I'm going to start water PT in two weeks so that will be the answer for me, for sure.  I am really and truly happy for all of you without lingering issues!  That is gonna be me one day.  Soon, I hope!
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 03:58:33 am »
HI,
I would just say that if your body tells you you need to nap / sleep, then I would follow your body's wishes! During my 'big fatigue' times I used to sleep a good 8 hours a night and nap from a few minutes to 30 minutes and more during the day. It used to help a lot, and the fatigue was so overwhelming that I never had problems with my night sleep + naps. I just see it as a way for the body to cope with all, stress, symptoms, noise overload, SSD, tinnitus... That's a lot to deal with.
Happy napping! :)
Lorenzo

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 07:29:20 am »
Catflower,

Here is a link to the "Brain Tumor and Fatigue" brochure I discussed earlier.  This pertains to all forms of brain tumors (benign and malignant), why it may occur and ways to counteract it... I hope you find it helpful.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1969.0
(Please see Stein78's post - 2nd one down - with stein78 "CLICK ME FOR THE ARTICLE")

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MichelleN

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 12:20:11 pm »
I'm having a problem with daytime sleepiness and fatigue and was wondering if it could be related to the 2 cm AN I have.   I'm scheduled for surgery in April and would love to get some extra work done in preparation, but I really don't have the energy.  I usually sleep about 9 hours a night which should be enough, but after I'm up about 5 hours I am simply overwhelmed by the need to nap.  My naps usually amount to one and half to two hours.
I am also experiencing the same problem plus i have difficulty falling asleep. I was also diagnosed in february and my tumor is 3cm in size and scheduled for surgery in april. i will be having the surgery at university of pennsylvania hosp. the only thing you can do is sleep. i dont have that option because my kids are 5,4,3. i am doing my best to keep up with them and my hosehold responsibilities. i feel for you.
Michelle

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:11:46 pm »
I am also experiencing the same problem plus i have difficulty falling asleep. I was also diagnosed in february and my tumor is 3cm in size and scheduled for surgery in april. i will be having the surgery at university of pennsylvania hosp. the only thing you can do is sleep. i dont have that option because my kids are 5,4,3. i am doing my best to keep up with them and my hosehold responsibilities. i feel for you.

I feel for you with the young kids.  My two boys were 3 years old and 4 months old when I was diagnosed.  My surgery was a little over a year later (after we discovered it was growing much faster than "average").  The fatigue for the few months before my surgery was overwhelming.  I will say that now (6 months post-op) my energy level is much better than it was pre-op.  I hope you are lucky enough to find similar relief in your recovery!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)