Author Topic: What is Gamma Knife procedure like?  (Read 4757 times)

mugicha

What is Gamma Knife procedure like?
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:40:36 pm »
I got diagnosed with AN last month.  Just got off the phone with my doc to let him know I've chosen GK.

Can people who have had the procedure done please explain in detail what I should expect?  You go in, they do this, that, blah, it takes X amount of time, you feel ____ afterwards, etc.  That kind of thing.

Sorry I'm sure there are probably already threads in here somewhere that describe this but I've poked around and haven't found the kind of detail I'm looking for yet.

Thanks.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: What is Gamma Knife procedure like?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:43:56 am »
Mugicha,

please follow "My Personal Gamma Knife Treatment Journal" listed on this page.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

mugicha

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:47:49 pm »
I'm sorry maybe I'm missing something but there are no details about the actual Gamma Knife procedure in the thread you mention.  There is a lot of discussion of angels and god and prayer but that's not what I'm interested in and to be honest I'm not sure how that would be helpful, especially to someone who doesn't share your particular religious beliefs.  I'm looking for specific details on what to expect on the day I get the procedure done.  For example, it seems like they give you drugs and have to numb your head to put the frame on and that there is some pain involved but I don't know anything about any of this and I would like to hear specifically what goes on at the procedure.

Thanks.

MDemisay

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 03:10:47 pm »
Mugicha,

The answer can be found in the thread entitled "what drugs do they give with Gamma Knife typically?"

My treatment took approximately 40 minutes start to finish . I was there at 6:00 am in the morning they sat me down gave me Ativan and then put the frame on as a mock up determined where the pins would go marked my head with magic marker, injected me 4 separate times at the 4 sites and screwed the frame on my head. (approximately 30 minutes) Then (and this will probably differ for you because I cannot have an MRI) they took me for my CT scan with contrast for precise targeting purposes. I must say I lost track of time here! Then they had me wait approximately 30 minutes while they got the test results then Dr.Sisti  walked me by Dr. Isaacson (the radioonconolgist) who high fived me and I said "bombs away". Dr. Sisti then assisted me onto the Gamma Knife table and secured my frame into place he locked me in personally.

They took me out of the titanium head frame and bandaged my head in a half an hour.

I had my head in bandages and was walking out the door by 12:30pm this was the most dramatic, I looked like a WWI veteran just returning from the front! There it is soup to nuts!

I must say without being prayerful and deeply into this meditation stuff the whole process would have seemed longer than it actually was. Thus, I say it was a breeze!

Silent machine, easy process, expert Doctors what more could you ask for. "Irv" is dead as a result. The doc said I should be back in a year for a routine CT scan and then back to repeat that in year #2. In 99% of his cases he doesn't see a regrowth in 10 to 15 years. Pretty good odds huh?

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

MDemisay

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 11:01:47 am »
Mugicha,

I forgot to add I returned to work on Thursday (June 14) stayed 6 hours before heading home to get changed and attended a 4 hour long dinner party! I returned to work full time 8 hours on Friday. Apart from a slight headache which results from fatigue on an every other day basis.

Mike

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 04:45:56 am »
I'm sorry maybe I'm missing something but there are no details about the actual Gamma Knife procedure in the thread you mention.  There is a lot of discussion of angels and god and prayer but that's not what I'm interested in and to be honest I'm not sure how that would be helpful, especially to someone who doesn't share your particular religious beliefs.  I'm looking for specific details on what to expect on the day I get the procedure done.  For example, it seems like they give you drugs and have to numb your head to put the frame on and that there is some pain involved but I don't know anything about any of this and I would like to hear specifically what goes on at the procedure.

Thanks.

Hi mugicha and welcome. 

I went to the home page of the ANA Discussion forums and did a "search" for "GammaKnife" and "GK" and found over 40 pages of thread responses/discussions re: Gammaknife (GK) that may be of interest to you.

In doing the search, I had remembered a discussion from a few years back that noted about different forms of radiation AN treatments, in which GK was also discussed that I thought may be of interest (esp. Mark's comments.  Mark is a LONG time participant of the forums, an ANA Support group facilitor and a very wise AN man... but don't tell him I said that! :) ).  You can find it here:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=6450.0

There are many here, such as Mike and many others, that have posted their GK histories.  Mike is newly treated and others, such as MK and others, that had their GK treatments done a while back and provide wonderful insight to their GK AN journey.  Suggestion would be to try the "search" option so you can view, for yourself, the multitude of discussions over the years.

I hope this helps... and again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Dee-dee

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:40:46 am »
It is not a pleasant procedure.  Don't let these folks fool you into thinking it is easy.  But it's a lot easier than surgery.  They give you Valium, the put 4 screws into your head and attach a frame (metal, heavy). You don't feel it at at that point because you get local anesthesia but you will feel it when the screws come out and the anesthesia has worn off. You go into the machine.  It's like an MRI but silent, completely silent, no noise, no smell, no lights.  You are there for 45 minutes usually.  After wards they take the frame out, bandage your head and you go home.

From that point on everyone reacts differently.  So I can't tell you how you will feel.  I did not feel well after the procedure and a year later still don't feel well.

I had severe problems after the GK, which continue and my tumor has grown.  Bad headaches, which still continue, eye swelled up  and bled (I think they screwed the screws too tight in one side of my head). A feeling of pressure in the head which still continues; eye spasms, memory problems, concentration problems which all continue etc. My tongue tingles and my taste buds have changed.  But you may not have any symptoms other than it will hurt where they put in the screws for a while.  Take some pain killers and you may be fine.  I am still struggling and I was told that 18 months out is when the worst side effects occur.  I am not there yet.  But my tumor has grown by 5 mm after the radiation, a lot more than they said it would.  I am now in the large category.  This growth seems different than what others have experienced from the radiation.

Good luck.  You will be fine.  I seem to be more of an exception.

dee-dee
2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 02:01:28 pm »
Mugicha ~

The preceding posts from Mike and Dee Dee are a good example of why we always caution AN patients on these forums that as unique individuals, the results of a surgical or radiation procedure can never be guaranteed and that one persons experience is not necessarily the norm for every radiation or surgery AN patient.  Some find the radiation procedure a breeze, some a bit of a chore, some very uncomfortable.  Results will necessarily vary.  Radiation is a valid, proven treatment for acoustic neuroma but hardly a panacea.  If it were always easy and totally effective, no AN patient would ever undergo invasive surgery again.  That isn't the case.  However, I trust that you're well aware of that. 

Your desire to learn exactly what happens to you on the day of the CK procedure is understandable.  As Phyl noted, there are lots of posts with that information available in the ANA discussion archives.  On this thread, both Mike and Dee Dee have offered their explanation of the mechanics of the CK procedure, which I trust are what you were seeking. 

I hope you'll continue to use these forms for information as well as support in your AN journey.   

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.