Author Topic: MRI at year 4  (Read 3139 times)

LakeErie

MRI at year 4
« on: September 30, 2015, 11:50:59 am »
After a subtotal removal of 95% - 97% of the tumor, I had an  MRI at 12 months, then at 30 and today at 48 months. The first 2 scans were stable. Today's scan showed "minimal interval increase in prominence of the medial aspect of the mass." The surgeon's physician ass't interprets this as "progression of the tumor" despite the radiologist stating the " slightly more prominent appearance" is subject to "limitations of technical differences between the examinations."
The PA will show the report to the neurosurgeon and call me by week's end. My opinion is the surgeon will want a repeat scan at some reasonable interval like 12 - 18 months. There were no "further areas of abnormal enhancement" so it appears the appearance of more prominence is confined to the middle area of the tumor.
I will post the surgeon's opinion. Why I cannot just have a physician's app't in the first place is beyond me. This is a new neurosurgeon who replaced m original doctor who moved to a CA hospital.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: MRI at year 4
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:49:08 pm »
Wow, I'd hate to have to wait around for someone to call me, wondering if something's going on in there.  Let us know what goes on with the neurosurgeon. Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

keithmac

Re: MRI at year 4
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:57:39 am »
After a subtotal removal of 95% - 97% of the tumor, I had an  MRI at 12 months, then at 30 and today at 48 months. The first 2 scans were stable. Today's scan showed "minimal interval increase in prominence of the medial aspect of the mass." The surgeon's physician ass't interprets this as "progression of the tumor" despite the radiologist stating the " slightly more prominent appearance" is subject to "limitations of technical differences between the examinations."
The PA will show the report to the neurosurgeon and call me by week's end. My opinion is the surgeon will want a repeat scan at some reasonable interval like 12 - 18 months. There were no "further areas of abnormal enhancement" so it appears the appearance of more prominence is confined to the middle area of the tumor.
I will post the surgeon's opinion. Why I cannot just have a physician's app't in the first place is beyond me. This is a new neurosurgeon who replaced m original doctor who moved to a CA hospital.

I think that when you're paying for the head honcho's services it's reasonable to expect the head honcho's oversight of the scan results but maybe there's no need to see the guy himself/herself until (s)he decides there's a need?