Author Topic: The end of my first week back  (Read 2382 times)

Charlotte Lady

The end of my first week back
« on: November 10, 2007, 07:13:01 pm »
I just finished my first week back to work (half days this week).  Things went okay.  I was delighted to see so many of my friends and coworkers.  I was exhausted by the end of the day, went home and took a half hour nap.   I'm not sure how next week will be; I start back full time tomorrow.

What's bothering me is my inability to keep knowledge in my mind consistently.  For example, I have a code to run the cash register.  M-Th I used it no problem.  Friday I had no idea what it was.  It was just gone.  Or the other day I went to talk to my neighbor's grandkids.  I couldn't call up the younger one's name - a child I've seen and played with many, many times.  Is it just system overload with so much stuff going on?  Will it improve?  Anyone have this sort of problem with memory.

D
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: The end of my first week back
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 05:00:14 am »
D

I am 27 months post op and I still have memory problems.  I am also on disability because of the problem along with other problems.  I think it sounds like you are doing great.  Don't push yourself too hard.  Get plenty of rest.  I take notes on the important stuff and let the rest slide.  Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself!!

Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:05:55 am »
Hi D:  Congratulations on returning to work.  I went back part time the 1st 2 weeks (24 hours/week), then full time the 3rd week.  Yes, the exhaustion is unbelievable - actually, I felt exhausted thruout the 1st year - only now, 16 months post op, am I feeling less exhausted.   I also had quite a few memory problems (still do) - I forgot my long distance access code & had to be given a new one (even though I had used it several times since returning to work!). It scared me at first, because my memory has always been great - my co-workers said 'good, now you're like the rest of us!' (gotta love the support).  Also have the 'name to the face' problems......  It's gotten a little better, but I don't worry about it as much as when I 1st went back to work.  It happens to everyone!!
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

MLB57

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 07:06:23 am »
 Hi Charlotte--I had a 1 cm rt AN removed in 2001 via retrosigmoid suboccipital approach--during this approach the surgeon had to move over my brain to get to the (bony canal to drill) AN--I have read due to this some people have had cognitive problems post surgery--I can't say I ever have altho I can not and will not tolerate stress (mostly job-related) altho that burn-out was coming on at the time of surgery anyway... I have switched careers and love my new job!! You have to remember that your brain is still healing from all that trauma (surgery) and it takes time so don't be discouraged. When you are over tired as you must have been after your first week back it's normal (I think) to have cognitive problems. Actually I have ALWAYS had what I call "mind mush"--meaning when I am tired I don't think well at all and it's usually after a long  day... I actually didn't return to my then stressful job for 3 1/2 months as I was still fatigued from surgery. So don't worry as you are still healing. Take a nap when you need and take it easy and in time you'll be so much better!!! :)

Take care, Mary from MA
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 07:10:39 am »
Mary - I had the same surgical approach - didn't know all the things you just reported, well, makes sense now, doesn't it?   
Take care,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 08:25:43 am »

Possibly what you're dealing with is still fatigue from your surgery and the stress from recovering from an AN and then returning to work.  As with most aspects of your recovery, your memory will get better in time.  There may still be times when you are forgetful, but things will improve.  Just give it time.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 04:46:11 pm »
I agree with Nancy that lots of improvement is evident after the first 12 months.  I believe that "system overload" is a correct.  The vestibular system gets overtaxed.  Name and detail memory will improve but you should measure your success by months.  You will get back to a normal life.  Make sure to get some naps, and keep up the good work!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:08:56 am »
Charlotte Lady:

Congratulations on completing your first week back to work (part-time) successfully. 

I have to concur with the other posters that some cognitive difficulties are common following AN surgery.  I also had the retrosigmoid approach surgery and my surgeon mentioned that he had to 'slightly' move my brainstem to have better access to the tumor but that he didn't think it would cause any post-op problems, and it didn't.  Oh, I forget things sometimes and 'blank out' as you have, on what should be familiar names or passwords for various websites, etc., but not to the extent that it becomes an impediment to living normally.

I know my body went through a lot of post-operative healing for the first 12 months and I believe this is normal for any post-op AN patient.  I'm not a doctor but as a recovering AN patient who had a similar experience with occasional cognitive deficiencies, I would submit that your fatigue and memory lapses are perfectly normal for someone at your stage of recovery.  I'm hopeful that your first full week back to work will be successful, but it probably will be tiring.  Take the rest you need when you need it, keep a positive attitude and you'll get through this O.K.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.