Author Topic: My BAHA surgery was a piece of cake too  (Read 12952 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: My BAHA surgery was a piece of cake too
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 03:39:57 pm »
Duct tape!  What a novel concept, Lori!

Did you find that out in the garage - leftover from the last surgery??  :D

j
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 05:18:09 pm »
Well, at least duct tape comes in multiple colors now - you can accessorize properly!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 05:26:59 pm »
Well, I have the usual grey and some hot pink! 

We used to have red, but I guess we used that on the last patient!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 07:07:38 pm »
Hi everyone,

Well, I went to Dr. Choe today and he removed my healing cap.  He was very happy with how I am healing and said the site looked great. and also gave me my healing cap back.  He said these things cost $80!  He loved my BAHA Recovery Kit but I did forget to tell him about our plans for the healing cap.  I wonder what he'd think about that.  I took a good look at everything when I got home and have to say it is very interesting to see.  I think I'm going to have Rob take a pictrure or two and post them in the next day or so.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

kmancini

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 01:01:29 pm »
I got my BAHA today.  I love it.  At first I didn't know if I like it or not.  When I got home I could talk on the phone and hear the tv at the same time without it driving me nuts.  I have the Intenso.  My doctor always goes with that no matter what.  She says it is more powerful.  You can always turn it down but you can't turn the other one up higher than the Intenso.  It is small enough that you can't see it and I have short hair.  It is guarenteed for 2 years but she suggested that I take the maintence that they offer after that.  I keep forgeting it is back there.  So far it was worth it.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

lori67

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 01:50:23 pm »
Karen,

Happy BAHA day!  The best part is being able to turn it off when you want to!  (I have kids, can you tell?).

Wendy,

I don't know why you had to go to the doctor to have the healing cap removed - you seem to be getting pretty good at removing it yourself!   :D  Probably best that you didn't tell him about our little healing cap money making scheme - he might want to get in on it! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 04:21:31 pm »
Karen,
Congratulations on your BAHA Day-- how really exciting!  You sound like another satisfied customer!!! ;D

Lori -- I did tell Dr. Choe about the idea of goldplating or painting the healing cap.  He advised me not to do that just yet and to keep it handy just in case.  I suddenly realized that on the off chance (very small chance) that I need the revision surgery, he would need the healing cap again.  I'm pretty confident this won't happen though.  It looks good to me and he said it looks great.  My next door neighbor is a nurse and took a look at it today.  She said she thought it was healing beautifully too.  I'll keep my healing cap handy and clean, but I'd be amazed if I ever need it for medical purposes again.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dawn

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »
Karen,

Congratulations on your BAHA...it is nice to hear that there is hope for others of us out there who are just starting our journey in the AN world..

Good luck with your new BAHA

Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2009, 11:46:40 pm »
Karen -

I remember my BAHA day - it was amazing!  Congratulations to you and happy hearing!!  ;D

Wendy -

is the healing cap that little round, white, plastic piece?  If so, I can't believe it cost $80.  The day my doc removed mine, it shot across the room and ended up under a chair.  He promptly picked it up and threw it in the trash.  So much for the $80  ;)

Glad everything looks good and is healing well.  Gold star for you  ;D  Also, glad that Dr. Choe liked the BAHA Recovery Kit - I wonder what he'd think of Lori's and my potential garage surgery business LOL

What's this about possible revision surgery?  I must have missed something somewhere along the line.  Explain, please.

Jan 
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 08:13:11 am »
Hi Jan,
Yep - the healing cap is the white plactic disc that's placed over your abutment after surgery.  Amazing that this thing costs $80!  My deductible for the surgery was only $75.  From what I understand from the articles I've read, it  doesn't happen often but sometimes the implant will be rejected or the skin will over-grow the abutment and you need revision surgery, in which case you would need your healing cap again.   Actually, Dr. Battista wrote one of the articles I read.  Very interesting stuff. 

Wendy
P.S.  I told him about the garage business, but didn't mention surgery -- he might have thought I was losing it!   Exactly what type of surgery do you have in mind for your garage clinic anyway?  I'm sure if Lori has her way you'll be using lots of colorful duct tape on yoru patients! LOL
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 08:17:15 am »
Wendy~
As far as I know, we can do anything...we have saws AND power tools!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 09:23:14 am »
Wendy -

I didn't know that rejection was an option, but prior to my BAHA surgery I talked to someone who had an issue with the skin around the site healing.  They actually had to do a skin graft from his upper arm or maybe his leg - I'm kind of unclear on the specifics.  I guess that doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

I missed Dr. Battista's article, if you come across it again, please email it to me; I'd be interested in reading it.

So if your $75 went towards the healing cap, what did the other $5 pay for?   ;)  It's unbelievable that those things cost that much - they're probably only a few bucks to manufacture.  Maybe we should put the garage surgery business on hold and buy caps to resell and we'd make a fortune  :D

Jan

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 10:23:44 am »
I think, but am certainly not positive, that the skin-gowing-over-the-abutment problem is more prevalent among children who have BAHAs than adults. I have met one man who originally had a "short" abutment and had to have it replaced with a longer one because of that problem. He's doing fine with the new abutment. I was relieved when he looked at mine and said I had the longer abutment -- I frankly hadn't given it much thought.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

lori67

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 11:10:51 am »
I knew a girl growing up who left her earrings in for so long that the skin actually grew over the back of them.  Maybe if you don't use or maintain the abuttment the skin can grow over it?  Who knows.  Let's hope none of us ever have to find out.

I can't believe it's $80 for that little thing.  It just looks like a little foam washer with plastic in the middle.  I think we've got some craft foam in the garage, and I know I've got saran wrap - so I think we can duplicate them and charge, say...$79.99...

Jan, I think the other $5 of Wendy's went to buy the doctor a latte at Starbucks.

Lori

wendysig

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 01:27:07 pm »
Lori and Catherine,,
I think you're right about that happening if you don't take care of the abutment.  Dr. Choe also told me this is usually more of a problem for big  men because they have thicker scalps than women do, I'm not sure about children though, I really didn't read anything about that.  I remember one of the articles I read saying something about in cases where there is a  problem with the skin around the site healing would be another reason for revision surgery.  I know from reading the articles I did,  all of these things are NOT usual, just a small possibility.

Jan -- I'll look for the article Dr. Battista wrote and send it to you.  Recycling healing caps is a very interesting idea.  I guess if we bought them cheap enough, we could sell them at half price and still make a bundle.   ;D  As for the garage surgery, since Lori is a nurse and  I am a former emergency medical technician (I did this when I was in my 20's but having two active kids has given me plenty of oportunity toi renew many of my skills.  My own klutzyness and recent surgeries have given me some practice too) and whatever skills you and K have could make this interesting.   ;D ;D

Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!