Author Topic: SKull Base Possibility  (Read 50571 times)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
Re: SKull Base Possibility
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2007, 08:49:42 pm »
sjwill is probably having the 4am visits by Shahinian at this time and hearing the doc's famous quote, "I told you you'd feel like you been hit by a mac truck".
HANG IN THERE SJWILL! :) Ask for the Cherry Italian Ice!
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

chopper

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2007, 10:24:30 am »
Question for you guys in regards to SBI...how did it go with insurance..I have read some post, but because they are out of sequence it is a little hard to follow..trying to get idea in case I am not happy with conclusion from guy in Orlando....and just for your curiosity...Dr. Medbery finally got my films and says same thing as everyone else.....too funny
Ceecee

Depends on the provider.  Finally reached an end with mine, who (thankfully) paid for most of the hospital stay, save 1000 bucks.   I got pretty much shafted on the Dr's charges though, 11k deposit+8500 more to come out of my pocket. 
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2007, 08:14:29 pm »
Question for you guys in regards to SBI...how did it go with insurance..I have read some post, but because they are out of sequence it is a little hard to follow..trying to get idea in case I am not happy with conclusion from guy in Orlando....and just for your curiosity...Dr. Medbery finally got my films and says same thing as everyone else.....too funny
Ceecee

Depends on the provider.  Finally reached an end with mine, who (thankfully) paid for most of the hospital stay, save 1000 bucks.   I got pretty much shafted on the Dr's charges though, 11k deposit+8500 more to come out of my pocket. 

Sorry to hear that chopp, I was extremely lucky it sounds. Recently, I got a notice from my insurance company that they will not be paying for out of state surgeons as if they are in state ppo's! Makes me wonder..
The insurance that I have is Premera Blue Cross Heritage Plus 1. I have my post op 4 month MRI this Saturday and am hoping My head is empty.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2007, 10:30:11 pm »
Well hell, Chop you all can start laughing now.
The dream is about over I think.

I just got a bill 5 mos post op by Shahinians work  partner Shahriar Ghodsian. (they share offices).
He is a pulmonologist, and I remember he checked my lungs at admission. http://www.skullbaseinstitute.org/ghodsian.htm
Then he did 3am visits per night, each lasting about 5-8 mins long. did a prog note for Shahinian to read i suppose,

Charges are as follows.

Inpatient Admission Level 3 650$ (This was Ghodsian saying breathe in breathe out, are you allergic to anything (this is when they were prepping me for surgery putting the sox and funny hat on while listening to "gregorian monk chant music". :o btw, I never knew this Doc would be involved and he was not mentioned in the preop meeting @ SBI.

11/27/06 Critical Care 600$ in recovery-eye tracking. does a prog for shahinian who comes in 2 hrs later (aprox 5am)
11/28/06 Critical Care 600$  eye tracking.facial nerve etc,  does a prog for shahinian who comes in 2 hrs later (aprox 5am)
11/29/06 Critical Care 600$  eye tracking.facial nerve etc, does a prog for shahinian who comes in 2 hrs later (aprox 5am)
11/30/06 Discharge 700$ I don't even remember seeing him. Maybe he just signed a paper.

TotalDue 3150. >:(

So I am having a happy phone tag day tomorrow with MAtt Head nurse of SBI to find out how these creeped into SBI's set price of of 59 grand as seen here
http://kuato.ixtabai.com/shahinian_eob.jpg
or maybe it has to do with some prices here.
http://kuato.ixtabai.com/brotman_eob.jpg

I remember meeting this doc at admission, he looked straight out of Chippendales Iran, sharp dude. Just checked in on me a few times in the recovery room, eye tracking excercises etc, small talk to see if my speech facial nerve was ok.
that WAS IT!

signed,
not happy. :(

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2007, 05:01:49 pm »
Well well, just got off the phone with MAtt and hes states even though Ghodsian is in the same building, and works for SBI, it is considerered seperate fees.
I don't understand.

jerseygirl

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2007, 05:25:26 pm »
Ixta,

I just looked up the doctor and he is the internist. whenever there is a surgery, there has to be an internist taking care of you if you are an adult or pediatrician if a child. The insurance knows and expects it. My suggestion is to call up this doc and ask him if he submitted the paperwork to the insurance company. Chances are he did and what you are seeing is the comfirmation (I ahve had this experience before). I just spoke to Matt regarding other doctors who would be taking care of me and he hurriedly said that the internist accepts the insurance as a full payment, so chances are he will for you, too. Let us know how it works out.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2007, 01:48:58 pm »
God lets hope so I thought this nightmare was behind me.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2007, 01:36:29 am »
I just spoke to Matt regarding other doctors who would be taking care of me and he hurriedly said that the internist accepts the insurance as a full payment, so chances are he will for you, too. Let us know how it works out.

Eve

We should let Matt know we are all in this together to form a united front! gogogo! ;D

on a more positive note I had a hearing test done the other day and my good ear is A oK.

I was supposed to have my follow up MRI today but I have been sicker than a dog with a sinus throat infection of sorts.
I knew I couldnt stand still in the MRI without coughing up a hairball like a cat.

oh btw eve they will have you do an immediate post op MRI the day you get out of the hospital. The place is located in the valley i think.
http://prohealthscan.com/ Matt will have all the info.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 01:47:04 am by ixta »

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2007, 11:22:52 am »
Well a week ago my CM from blue cross was able to get ahold of ghodsians billing person.
They had sent the bill to the wrong adress. So my BC insurance took care of that scary balance Thank Goodness. :)
Lets hope this is behind me now.

Eve, you need to get a blog going on thestatus.com and have someone you trust document the times you are in surgery and the reports they get back so that we can be involved when you go under the drill in June @ SBI.

GOIN2LA

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2007, 01:37:51 pm »
Hello, This is Sara's husband, she is the one who had surgery the week before you. Was just wondering how your 6mo MRI went, and what the report said? Sara and I just got back from LA on sunday, will fill you in when have more time, but Sara is doing AWESOME !!!! :)
Take care, Steve.
Diagnosed October 20,2006
5cm AN Whopper Sticky like Glue
Tumors Name - Ted
Surgery date November 20, 2006
Skull Base Institute
Dr Shahinian
Scripture - Philippians 4:6-9

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2007, 09:59:49 pm »
Hi Steve. I called Matt and he said they got my MRI and everything "looked fine"
I am getting in shape, and trying my first triathalon in August, I also got the transear and blue cross is taking care of that. I dont wear it much because it hurts alot and irritates. I only wear it at work meetings.
Also, I have been having some numbness come back on the left side of my toungue, I hope that kuato is not resurfacing. >:(

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2007, 11:56:39 pm »
I have not posted in awhile.

I am now about 9 months post op.
I am having numbness return to my toungue and it is spreading to my teeth and gums. I have an appointment with Dr. Steege in Seattle, Swedish Hospital just to give a rundown of my history Dx, operation, and post op issues.
My question will be if my trigeminal is just adjusting still post op...
or..trigeminal permanently damaged from tumor, and resection..
or..remission /gasp hope not!

Feeling in shape more than ever before and did my first SPRINT TRIATHLON!
see pix!

my goal was to finish and not crash into anyone dizzy! and boy was I dizzy getting out of the water!! woot!

I have a friend that has done Ironman, and I am having masochistic dreams of doing that before I am over" the hill" 40-

jerseygirl

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2007, 09:46:32 am »
Ixta,

Congrats on your triathlon and 40 is not over the hill! Please, post anything on that Dr. Steegle says to you on the trigeminal issue because a lot of people have it. I also have it; it is the same technique, remember. Best wishes,

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Mark

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2007, 10:11:59 am »
Congrats on completing the triathlon! It's good to have another swim, bike , run person on the board. Maybe we could form the AN survivor Tri club. Who else is in?  ;D

Mark

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Raydean

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2007, 03:29:20 pm »
Way to go!  Congratulations on completing the triathlon.  The pictures are great.  Thanks so much for
sharing them. 

I just wanted to say that Dr. Timothy Steege is a really good Doctor.  One of the top ones in the Seattle area. 

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.