Author Topic: Rick (QRM) Surgery Update  (Read 9038 times)

moe

Re: Rick (QRM) Surgery Update
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 10:56:16 am »
Hi Rick,
Your daughter is absolutely darling. I agree, she is looking at you like, right Dad. This potato IS the size of your brain. A little red new potato would have been better, or a golden yellow yukon. I know my taters!
<Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

NL

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 06:44:53 pm »
Hi Rick,

Looks like you and Rain both did well on that 17 hour flight! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Glad to hear that your tumor was successfully removed, and that your sense of humor remains completely intact. :) That's quite a description of your time in the hospital! And if there really is such a thing as the mini "vacuum" you were referring to (are you sure it wasn't the drugs? ;)), I'm happy to say I never saw it!

It's good to hear you're up to doing daily exercises -  all in all it sounds like you're really doing great.

Please say hello to Jane, and we hope to see you all again when you come back for your follow-up. 

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 10:03:40 pm »
Its been 6 weeks as a postie, today I feel pretty normal, I did try tennis the other day and managed to hit the ball if it comes straight to me but not if I have to chase it, I was pretty grim at it before, so at least I now have an excuse.

I had SSD before the op so it doesn't bother me at all, even those surround movies sound good, dont know why maybe my hearing and head gets extra sensitive, like a blind person being able to read braille with just his finger tip. If I shut my eyes in a place I am familiar with you can pin point where sound is coming from. Your head works its all out like a reverse version of those phantom surround speakers where it mimic surround sound only using two speakers. You pick up on all the echos and change in tones to figure it out, like now typing I can hear my kid playing on my right I would put money down saying the sound is coming in my right ear, but i know its not.

Scar is almost invisible now, and I have pretty much a Yul Brenner hair style.

I used to get headaches before the op during overcast days now it seem I get a little bit wonky head when its grey outside,  but so far have not had a single major head ache.

Another challenge is rope bridges, pre op i was able to trot across them like a Tibetan mountain goat, now I have to hang on for dear life , but hey how often will I come across a rope bridge on the way down to the supermarket.

I will send some update photos later

Rick
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:41:40 pm by QRM »
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 07:31:13 am »
That's the bestest news ever, Rick!

how often will I come across a rope bridge

I thought Malaysia was all about rope bridges.   ;)

Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

kenneth_k

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 01:03:17 pm »
Hi Rick.

I have enjoyed reading your post. Sounds like surgery and recovery is a succes so far ;) Congrats...

What about your taste, is it back to normal? I'm asking because from 2 months and up to now 6 months post op, I have this annoying salty metallic taste. It can be very frustrating sometimes.

Regards, Kenneth.

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 06:36:15 pm »
Hi Kenneth,

The metallic taste has pretty much cleared up only the last 1cm of my tongue where it joins the rest of my head seems to be still a little bit off, could be all the curries around here knocking it back into shape.

I am a big old cynic and thought these vitamin supplements shops were opened as a meeting point for all the neurotic and hypochondriacs folks in town, even the doc said that unless I have been living on a desert island and eating tinned peaches for the last 2 years then supplements are a bit of a scam. 

Anyway in the local mall there was a huge supplement stall and I remember reading somewhere B12 helps with nerve regeneration, as I was fed up with eating copper flavoured food, I sheepishly bought tub of B12, my tongue works now, I am sure the vitamins had nothing to do with it and it was just time that sorted it out.

Reading the forum it would seem that just licked the bottom of an ashtray taste, is one of the few post op symptoms that clear up over time, other wise try a Singapore curry Laksa, your taste buds and your backside the next day wont know what hit them.

LOL Nancy, you are right its been a month and I have been on 3 rope bridges, but there again its because my kids loves them, and she has figure out the best way to get a big reaction out of me is to really start bouncing up and down on them.

Rick
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 02:14:01 am by QRM »
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

cindyj

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 10:24:31 am »
Hi, Rick!  Good to hear from you!  Sounds like you're doing really well - so glad!  I've been back playing tennis and it's still pretty weird for me, but fun regardless - hope you'll keep at it!

The Yul Brenner look is a great one - he was one of my favorites as I was growing up!

Thanks for checking in with us and letting us know how you're doing,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings