Author Topic: Bridget's website  (Read 4795 times)

Lisa Peele

Bridget's website
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:40:11 pm »
Not AN-specific, but :)...many of my ANA friends know that my 5th child (Bridget) was born July 2006, and was diagnosed with Down syndrome at birth.  I've spent quite a bit of time recently working on a website to further understanding and acceptance of DS.  As I have also done with AN, my goal is to provide hope and inspiration to people dealing with a new DS diagnosis.  To learn more about Bridget and our family, visit www.bridgets-light.com.  Please feel free to forward the link to others who may be interested.  I am, as always, available by email or phone for questions or comments.

All my best,

Lisa

Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Bridget's website
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 06:21:49 am »
Lisa -

thank you for sharing this amazing website with us.  It is so beautifully done.  Bridget is certainly a wonderful little girl and is so lucky to have such a loving family.  You must be so proud of her - and of all your other children.  I hope others who have children with Down syndrome will find your site, since the information contained on it has much value.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:33:47 am »
Lisa,

Your family is amazing!  Each child is truly a gift from God and Bridget proves that each of these gifts are  special.  So many strides are made each year in thought processes both in lay people and in the medical field the potential for each child is endless.

Hugs and Prayers,

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lori67

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:23:59 am »
Lisa, that is a wonderful website.  You have a wonderful and beautiful family.  I am a pediatric nurse and physical therapist and it is so nice to see parents who value each of their children and recognize the unique gifts they have to offer.  God must have known Bridget would be in good hands.  It makes me happy to see you and your family so proud of Bridget because of everything she CAN do and can accomplish.  I'm sure she will continue to amaze you and keep you on your toes the way only a toddler can.  You have great insight and knowledge that will be a great inspiration to many people.  Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  It's amazing that such a little girl can have such an impact on others.  And I love the pictures - especially the one with the sunglasses - quite a movie star you have on your hands.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:57:30 pm »
BEAUTIFUL
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 07:34:41 am »
what yardtick said......

Thank you Lisa (and your family) for sharing Bridget's world (and your family journey) with us.

simply beautiful.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

matti

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 10:50:15 am »
Lisa, thank you for sharing your beautiful and amazing family with us.

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 02:09:03 pm »
Thank you for sharing your site Lisa, you have a beautiful family.  :)

Lisa Peele

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 10:07:52 am »
Thank you all for the kind words and for taking the time to look at Bridget's site!  I'm thrilled to help her spread her light  :)...
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
June 14, 2004

Lisa Peele

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 10:28:00 am »
I told a few people I would post a link to a story that recently ran in our local paper about Bridget, but the link wasn't working, so here's the story for anyone who is interested...

Family's photo heads to Times Square
Special video presentation to highlight Down syndrome

Thursday, September 27, 2007
BRITTINY DUNLAP

Bridget Peele's story isn't just about her Down syndrome diagnosis. Her story is about her family and friends who have accepted her circumstances and see the life and potential in a child, not the barriers.

"I think that Bridget is perfect," said 11-year-old Sara Peele. "She fits in just like everyone else."

Bridget was born six weeks premature on July 23, 2006. She required surgery shortly after she was born to correct an abdominal wall defect and was diagnosed with Down syndrome.  There was no indication that anything was wrong with Bridget during Lisa Peele's pregnancy. Everything was proceeding as normal, but Peele felt something wasn't right. "About a week before Bridget was born I had a dream that my water broke and Bridget was born with Down syndrome," Lisa Peele said.

Despite the initial setback, Dublin's Peele family has a "glass is half full" outlook on life.

"She really teaches us a lesson," said 10-year-old Kyle Peele. "What she's taught us is that just because she has Down syndrome, doesn't mean she's not as good as everyone else."

"She's just the same as everyone in the world," added 8-year-old Brian Peele.

That same message of worldwide acceptance is being touted by the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) during a special video production that will be shown in Times Square in New York City later this month.

A photo of Bridget and her siblings was selected from more than 2,500 entries in the NDSS nationwide call for photos. The photo shows Bridget at 5 months, sleeping in the arms of her sister, Sara. They are surrounded by siblings Brian, Kyle and Emmy.

"They wanted to show people with Down syndrome as vital active members of the community, which they are," Peele said. "And the picture of the kids adoring Bridget is perfect, because that is how they feel. The only argument in this house is who gets 'Bridgey.'"

About 215 photographs will appear in a video production to be shown on the News Corporation and Panasonic Astrovision television in Times Square. It will run prior to the New York City Buddy Walk on Sunday, Sept. 30. The Buddy Walk is the primary advocacy and fund-raising event for Down syndrome.

The Columbus Buddy Walk, which benefits the Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio, also will be held at 11 a.m. Sunday at Crew Stadium.

The Peele family has an inspiringly positive outlook on life and life for Bridget.

"Since she does have Down syndrome, is she different? Yes. But just because she has Down syndrome doesn't mean she can't do everything," Kyle said.

"She's as different as they all were," Peele said. "Every child is distinctly different. When they reach milestones is different. She's just done things on her own timeline."

"This child is their own person and will become their own person," Peele continued. "You have to let them dream for themselves."

After Bridget was born, the Peeles set out to research Down syndrome, but all they found was negativity -- a message they are hoping to change.

"With Down syndrome in particular, there are a lot of doctors that are not aware of what things are like today," Peele said. "People with Down syndrome are living longer and having much more active lives."

This wasn't the Peele's first brush with a negative medical diagnosis. About three years ago, Lisa, then 34, was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Research and diagnosis from doctors didn't look good.  Defying statistics and after a major surgery, Peele is thriving. Last week, she had a clean scan and was pronounced in good health.

"I think my tumor prepared me for Bridget," Peele said. "When you have a child you just keep an open heart and open mind and know things can be good and joyful. They have lots of gifts to give you."

For more information about Bridget, go to www.bridgets-light.com.
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
June 14, 2004

marg

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 12:38:12 am »
Lisa,
  What a positive story... thank you so much for sharing.  Once again it shows that what we focus on ..stands out - the bad or the good...... I'm so glad that good wins in your family.  :)
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 10:48:35 pm »
Hi Lisa, I enjoyed your web site. It is embarassing that we have to be reminded some times about what is really important and what is not. Can she laugh? Can she cry? Can she hug? Well, then, she is people!

I have a feeling that Bridget and you will go far to shed new light on Down Syndrome, and will help bring the medical community and public attitudes into the 21st century. She is a source of great joy, and we all need more of that.

Best wishes to you and your wonderful family,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.