Author Topic: Eye Blinking  (Read 5057 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Eye Blinking
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:22:41 am »
Hi,
The last two days I have been getting a tiny, I mean tiny bit of blink back. I thought I could see my lid kind of coming down but when I stare in the mirror I could see nothing. Anyway I had my daughter video tape it and it is blinking- just a wee bit. Nothing else has happened, my understanding was that the shorter nerves would generate first, like near my lip, cheek. I think David you had some eye return first? You were ready to get your weight and then had to cancel (yipee). I am getting excited but am feeling so guarded - I am afraid it is not true. I get my new external eyelid weight (heavier one) this week - figures. I will take any movement - yippeee. :o :o ;D :P
Michelle
Blinking a tiny bit with her googlie eye.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

Re: Eye Blinking
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:33:40 am »
That is GREAT news!!  Very happy for you!
Sending continued movement vibes your way...   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:33:18 am »
Yay Michelle!  That's great news.  Sounds like you just have to exercise patience (don't say it  :D) while you wait for your nerves to start working again.  I am amazed at what a slow process it is.  Hopefully you will have to return your eye weight.  Are they returnable?
Again, congratulations.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:16:10 pm »
Hi Michelle
That is great news!  Yes, I started to get eye movement in my upper lid at about two months.  I had been scheduled to have an eye weight and a tuck, but insurnace dragged their feet so long and by the time I got approval, my opthamologist said I only needed the tuck.  Another month or so went by and I went in for my pre-op physical and the opthamologist looked at my eye, and told me I didn't need the tuck.  I had full closure at about five months -- not with out synkinesis movement -- but I could close it.  And yes, that was the first sign of facial movement.  It had been so minor that I didn't even recognize it.  But what I could barely see at first was fully there 5 months later.  If you're following my pace, you're doing great.  But as a caution, from my experience with synkinesis, when you try to close your eye, don't try so hard that you pull your cheek and mouth and neck muscles up into a bunch.  If I've listened to my PT correctly, by doing that, I trained my muscles and nerves to respond with that action -- now I'm stuck with it and in therapy to untrain them.
Great news on your eye movement!
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:25:25 pm »
Thanks Gang.
Marci I still will try to use the weight for full closure.
Good advice David - I am listening with my good ear (hehe). It is hard to to try hard because I have shown hmmmm 50 people in the last two days. Yes slow and steady wins the race. Patience is an ugly word for me, although I am trying. It is good to know that someone else started the same way. What came next David?
Thanks for all of your continued support everyone!!!!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:18:23 pm »
Hi Michelle

The next thing -- March 6, 6:11 PM -- standing at my kitchen counter -- judging by the time, no doubt pouring a glass of wine -- I got tiny twitches in my cheek.  For the next month, I started seeing a little movement in the corner of my mouth and my eye was closing a little more.

Then one morning in mid-April, I woke up to find my cheek, eye, mouth and neck all bunched up in a big muscle spasm.  As I got up and started moving around, it relaxed.  Later in the day, I walked out into the sun and my face bunched up again.  Two weeks after that, my doctor confirmed that I had developed synkinesis.  Since that time, even with Physical Therapy, very little has changed.  Whenever I close my eye, my cheek bunches up.  When I try to relax, my neck spasms.  And eating is a three-ring circus of muscle movements.  But if I look back at pictures of me in late March, my face looks much better.  It's just stuck where it is for awhile.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy your twitching.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:19 pm »
Thank you David that really helps me. I hope that things relax for you soon - so exciting to get movement and then spasms. Sounds like you are working hard, let me know how things go. Michelle  ;D

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 07:34:14 am »
david, did your forehead move when your eye started closing, my eye closes with the goldweight but i dont have muched movement in the forehead
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:41:25 am »
No, Anne.  My forehead and eyebrow have yet to move and that's been almost 9 months post-op.  I have feeling in it and the tension pain that used to be there is nearly gone, but no movement.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 02:57:04 pm »
Man, I am just going to freak if my face starts to twitch. It was a surgery to get my hemifacial spasms to stop that got me in this mess in the first place. It bums me out just to think about it.

Honestly I wonder if it would be best if I don't get movement back and have to have a 12/7 jump. At least then I won't have to worry about the hemifacial spasms starting up again once movement comes back.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 11:05:19 pm »
Michelle - movement is a good sign. It means the motor neurons are active and not dead... yeah.

Sara- hang in there and see what returns. More normalcies can be achieved with neuro facial retraining- once the nerves are firing up again- even with twitching.

Remain positive and optimistic … and keep moving forward.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!