Author Topic: Speech therapy  (Read 2697 times)

Kaybee

Speech therapy
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:20:56 am »
I think this is the right place for this discussion but have any of you done and/or received benefit from speech therapy due to your facial paralysis?  Of course, I am referring to the dreaded F, P, and B sounds.   ;)  I asked my ENT at a follow up if he thought it would be good for me.  He didn't think so but said he would refer me to one if that's what I wanted.  Any stories (good, bad, or neutral)?

Thanks!
Kay
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Speech therapy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:04:15 am »
Hi Kaybee:  I know what you mean about F,B,P, & don't forget T ! !  I have total facial paralysis but never went for speech therapy.  Before I had my T3 procedure,  I was holding up the paralyzed side of my face to speak, esp. after a few hours of talking @ work.  The T3 has helped substantailly, but if I'm on the phone & need to spell out a name, etc., I will still do B as in boy, F as in Frank, etc.   I don't know if speech therapy will help (while I HOPE you are still waiting for your face to come alive again, my prognosis was very poor), but if you want to give it a try, then by all means do so.  I tried intensive acupuncture but again, my faical nerve was severed so it didn't help me but I've been reading it's helping Moe, which I am very happy for her ! (she had the 7/12 jump so acupuncture was a definite try for her).  We have to try whatever we can.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybee

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:09:12 am »
Oh yes, I don't have to talk a ton during most days.  (I'm a medical writer and spend hours a day listening in on on teleconferences or actually writing...)  But when I do speak a lot, I can tell!  And I  hold my cheek up.  What a relief that is!  And I am still waiting for it to come alive.  The nerve was not severed but it is really "mad".
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:13:20 am by Kaybee »
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

badbadbrain67

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »
I had a lot of problems with my P and especially F sounds.  I am currently seeing a speech therapist for vocal cord damage done during my surgery.
We did however spend a couple of sessions working on my speech problems. She gave me some exercises to do at home on my own and they helped
a lot. I  sometimes still put my finger on the corner of my mouth to pronounce F words and pinch them to pronounce P words but not as much as before.
I can honestly say that therapy worked for me. No one here can really tell you what is best for you but we can recount OUR experiences. That's
what we are here for.

Best of luck to you,

Victor

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 02:31:31 am »
Here in germany it was really hard pronouncing some of the German words, because the P and F are often together ( apfel=apple, pferde=horse ).  I went to a speech therapist 3 times a week for 5 weeks in Re Ha.

Dan in Germany 
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:19:55 pm »
I went to a speech therapist about 2 months after surgery which was probably too soon since nothing was moving at that point.  However, I needed to feel like I was doing something (yes, control freak, at your service!)  The best and most useful thing I got from the therapist was using tongue twisters to help with the dreaded b, p, f and m.  I was doing a lot of "peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" and one about "betty botter baking bitter batter" and "Momma made me mash my M & M's".  I still have to concentrate on the p and b words and when I am tired it gets worse (and sometimes funny.)

I seem to remember that Kaybo had some "adult" tongue twisters that were really funny...

Debbi (pickling peppers and buttering bitter batter)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com