Author Topic: what did you feel ?  (Read 1955 times)

satman

what did you feel ?
« on: August 06, 2008, 06:47:03 am »
this kind of follows my facial numbness post.
example, crazycat says he has animation back after 3 years [conrgats by the way]
when things started coming together what did you feel,also did it happen over a long period of time or was it overnight ?
i feel what i call zappers every now and then in very short spurts and now i get a tingle every now and then,are these good signs.
please tell me about the sensations that you had,and location of the sensation,what came back first,cheek,eye,lip,etc....
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: what did you feel ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:44:37 am »
yep! and I still get these... 3 years later....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:48:10 am »
In my case of facial parallysis after surgery, I never got any tingling just more movement over time (still have some and it keeps coming back SLOOOOWLY).  The upper part of the face got movement back faster than the lower part.  It's all not back 100%, but it is coming back slowly.  It wasn't overnight for me, but I did notice over a little bit of time that certain things on my face could move more or someone would say that my face was moving more / smiling  more.

Nerve regeneration and movement strength takes MUCH longer than I had anticipated going in.  I hope it will come back for you over time, but I'm afraid it may take some time for that to happen (I know, been there and done that.. waiting sucks).  So far, I haven't had to use any other methods to make it go faster, but my eye doctor did say that he suggested Occupational Therapy to help things along.  Perhaps that would help yours too?  Good luck!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:49:03 am »
It comes back very SLOWLY. My first movement was by my lip. Zappers are pretty common for me too. In fact I've had some this week on my lower cheek.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:41:14 pm »
Well John,  I'm 'out of the loop' on this one.   Never had zappers, tingling.....  nada,  nothing.
As far as I'm concerned ANY weird sensation is a good sensation ! !

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:41:16 pm »
John,

I've had zaps since right after my surgery while I was still in the hospital.  It made me feel like my face would come back.  And nearly three years later my face is so much better.  I'm still getting zaps and other feelings in my face.  I think movement is still coming back.  So I would think all of your zaps would be good news.  As you've heard before, it takes time and lots of it.

Good luck with your zaps.
Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:48:10 pm »
Hey John

About three months post op I got twiches in my cheek.  Then up until I developed synkinesis a month later, I felt little spasms in my lips.  Now three months later, I felt some twitches in my forehead.  The nerves are coming back -- I just have to retrain them to play right.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 03:34:38 pm »
Nancy~
I'm was surprised to read you haven't had any "zappers" - I have had them the whole time - even though they are not near as frequent anymore...didn't help me any...but on well... ::)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

waypoint

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:07:15 am »
it was on the third month post op that I started to see some movements on the left side. I believe it started near the lips, the movement was hardly noticeable to the public eye. But to me, I felt like I just moved mountains. The "zap" you are feeling is very good new. I started to get those soon after and am now on my 10th month and still get the uncontrollable facial spasms. Its definitely the nerves coming back or in repair mode. Im sure no ones mentioned this before, but its a slooooooooowwwwwww..... process.  :-\   I find that twitching has impeccable timing now that I'm at work.  I would be at the office and interacting with another employee and we are discussing the finer points of some issue and while they are arguing their case, I just go to snarling at them uncontrollably. Before I know it, I've got to apologize to the person and tell them while I may agree with them, my face may not. :D

In all seriousness, twitching is always a good sign. Mine still comes and goes from time to time, but I have noticed that its not as frequent. I suspect its because I am getting more control again.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months